User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 39
  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Piscataway
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Las Vegas Badminton group

    Hi. I am new here in vegas. Any badminton group around here?

    Please send me private mail at faiga16@yahoo.com. I am so eager to join and play badminton.

    !thanks.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    Posts
    1,263
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It might be time to take up golf

    Dunno if the local community college(s) offer badminton, but you might try looking there. Probably your best bet is to try the folling link:

    http://lasvegasbadminton.com

  3. #3
    Moderator Oldhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Asia
    Posts
    7,328
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Question Badminton In Las Vegas

    I will be in Las Vegas for a short while from the second week of April.
    Is there anyone here who regularly plays badminton in Vegas?

    Evening sessions on any and all days are fine with me.
    Anyway, it beats drinking, gambling, golf and then some

    I did check out a few weblinks posted earlier but can't say I've had much success

  4. #4
    Moderator Oldhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Asia
    Posts
    7,328
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Well, I found a place to play.
    Now for some partners to play

  5. #5
    Regular Member ctjcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    u.s.a.
    Posts
    19,157
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Coming to America???..

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldhand View Post
    I will be in Las Vegas for a short while from the second week of April.
    Is there anyone here who regularly plays badminton in Vegas?

    Evening sessions on any and all days are fine with me.
    Anyway, it beats drinking, gambling, golf and then some

    I did check out a few weblinks posted earlier but can't say I've had much success
    ...Oldhand, am i reading that correct???..Are you coming to America??..Hmm, will you swing by L.A. or through S.F.???...Any plans??..If, by chance, you're passing through L.A., don't be a stranger to give us a holler...
    Last edited by ctjcad; 03-27-2008 at 05:35 PM.

  6. #6
    Moderator Oldhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Asia
    Posts
    7,328
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    ...Oldhand, am i reading that correct???..Are you coming to America??..Hmm, will you swing by L.A. or through S.F.???...Any plans??..If, by chance, you're passing through L.A., don't be a stranger to give us a holler...
    Yep, I will be in LA too... probably around 18 to 22 April.
    However, LA is gonna be like 'meetings-without-end'
    That's why I looked for a place to play in Las Vegas.

    I'd hoped to swing by the OCBC but I guess that will have to wait.
    Business and pleasure do mix... but my boss doesn't like cocktails

  7. #7
    Regular Member ctjcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    u.s.a.
    Posts
    19,157
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Off topic-Wonderful..and we'll make time..

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldhand View Post
    Yep, I will be in LA too... probably around 18 to 22 April.
    However, LA is gonna be like 'meetings-without-end'
    That's why I looked for a place to play in Las Vegas.

    I'd hoped to swing by the OCBC but I guess that will have to wait.
    Business and pleasure do mix... but my boss doesn't like cocktails
    ..i see. That will be on the weekend til Tuesday, then. So, will that be on your way back to S'pore or midway in your trip?
    Hmm, you mean during those days you'll be working/meeting, throughout the weekend, also in L.A.??
    Hmm, maybe you can squeeze in your baddy time on Saturday. Is it possible, at all?? If possible, contaq us/me and we can set-up a baddy playing time in one of the local clubs (we can take Hau-ge, Birdwood and a couple other BCers). We'll make time to play with you, if you'd like...

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Dallas,TX. (From India)
    Posts
    983
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Dont gamble too much....

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldhand View Post
    Yep, I will be in LA too... probably around 18 to 22 April.
    However, LA is gonna be like 'meetings-without-end'
    That's why I looked for a place to play in Las Vegas.

    I'd hoped to swing by the OCBC but I guess that will have to wait.
    Business and pleasure do mix... but my boss doesn't like cocktails

  9. #9
    Moderator Oldhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Asia
    Posts
    7,328
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    ..i see. That will be on the weekend til Tuesday, then. So, will that be on your way back to S'pore or midway in your trip?
    Hmm, you mean during those days you'll be working/meeting, throughout the weekend, also in L.A.??
    Hmm, maybe you can squeeze in your baddy time on Saturday. Is it possible, at all?? If possible, contaq us/me and we can set-up a baddy playing time in one of the local clubs (we can take Hau-ge, Birdwood and a couple other BCers). We'll make time to play with you, if you'd like...
    13 to 18 April = Las Vegas
    I might get to play from 14 to 17

    18 to 22 April = Los Angeles
    (I might also leave a day or two early.
    It depends on how well the first meeting goes
    Anyway, I'm booked outward on both 20 & 22 Apr)

    I see a slender (and it's really slender) possibility of getting away on 19 April - maybe well into the evening

    Quote Originally Posted by malayali View Post
    Dont gamble too much....
    Me?
    Gamble?
    Ha!

  10. #10
    Regular Member ctjcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    u.s.a.
    Posts
    19,157
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Off topic-Sounds good..

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldhand View Post
    13 to 18 April = Las Vegas
    I might get to play from 14 to 17

    18 to 22 April = Los Angeles
    (I might also leave a day or two early.
    It depends on how well the first meeting goes
    Anyway, I'm booked outward on both 20 & 22 Apr)

    I see a slender (and it's really slender) possibility of getting away on 19 April - maybe well into the evening
    ...
    ..okay, slender as it looks, that looks like somewhat of a plan & hope we can meet up. Anyway, you know where to PM me if you'd like to play a bit of baddy, as well as meet-up! We'll make a time!

  11. #11
    Moderator Oldhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Asia
    Posts
    7,328
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Thumbs up On Court In Las Vegas

    Well, I wasn't fortunate enough to either play or meet up with any BC member in California... but I sure had a great (badminton) time in Nevada

    Don Bolwaire is the best thing that has happened to badminton in Las Vegas.
    Don breathes, eats, sleeps, talks and teaches badminton... and, but for a recent opthalmic surgery, he would be playing the game as well. Anyway, he will be back on court in a few weeks.

    Thanks to Don (and Jonathan), I had the opportunity to play at three places:
    - Hollywood Recreation Center, South Hollywood Boulevard
    - Desert Breeze Community Center, Spring Mountain Road
    - Club Sport, Olympic Avenue, Henderson (near the airport)

    Hollywood Center has quite a few good players and is a spacious venue.
    Daytime games, though, would be difficult as the sun slants into the hall.
    They use feather shuttles and play for 21 points using the old scoring system.

    Desert Breeze has fewer but better players - the only drawback is the constant intrusion by children (and people who should know better) on to the playing area.
    Here too, they use feather shuttles and play for 21 points using the OSS.

    Club Sport is a posh and pricey location - the players here are at just beginner level but you can bet they've fallen in love with badminton.
    Here they use yellow plastic shuttles and play for 15 points using the OSS.

    Obviously, the new scoring system hasn't caught on in Nevada
    As one lady so guilelessly put it: "You need a notebook to figure out who's gotta serve next."

    Details for anyone wishing to play in Las Vegas - and, I mean, play badminton - are available at www.lasvegasbadminton.com The website has all the information you might need and also Don Bolwaire's and Jonathan's numbers.

    To me, what was best about badminton in Las Vegas was the genuine warmth of the players. And that's a feature that should be true of badminton players everywhere

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Dallas,TX. (From India)
    Posts
    983
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    So, back to question about gambling..
    Did you lose or win????

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldhand View Post
    Well, I wasn't fortunate enough to either play or meet up with any BC member in California... but I sure had a great (badminton) time in Nevada

    Don Bolwaire is the best thing that has happened to badminton in Las Vegas.
    Don breathes, eats, sleeps, talks and teaches badminton... and, but for a recent opthalmic surgery, he would be playing the game as well. Anyway, he will be back on court in a few weeks.

    Thanks to Don (and Jonathan), I had the opportunity to play at three places:
    - Hollywood Recreation Center, South Hollywood Boulevard
    - Desert Breeze Community Center, Spring Mountain Road
    - Club Sport, Olympic Avenue, Henderson (near the airport)

    Hollywood Center has quite a few good players and is a spacious venue.
    Daytime games, though, would be difficult as the sun slants into the hall.
    They use feather shuttles and play for 21 points using the old scoring system.

    Desert Breeze has fewer but better players - the only drawback is the constant intrusion by children (and people who should know better) on to the playing area.
    Here too, they use feather shuttles and play for 21 points using the OSS.

    Club Sport is a posh and pricey location - the players here are at just beginner level but you can bet they've fallen in love with badminton.
    Here they use yellow plastic shuttles and play for 15 points using the OSS.

    Obviously, the new scoring system hasn't caught on in Nevada
    As one lady so guilelessly put it: "You need a notebook to figure out who's gotta serve next."

    Details for anyone wishing to play in Las Vegas - and, I mean, play badminton - are available at www.lasvegasbadminton.com The website has all the information you might need and also Don Bolwaire's and Jonathan's numbers.

    To me, what was best about badminton in Las Vegas was the genuine warmth of the players. And that's a feature that should be true of badminton players everywhere

  13. #13
    Moderator Oldhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Asia
    Posts
    7,328
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by malayali View Post
    So, back to question about gambling..
    Did you lose or win????
    See the last portion of post#9

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Dallas,TX. (From India)
    Posts
    983
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I thought you were being sarcastic there!!!
    Really?? you didnt feel tempted to 'donate' your money to the big casino empires in Vegas??? Thats pretty sweet...

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldhand View Post
    See the last portion of post#9

  15. #15
    Regular Member ctjcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    u.s.a.
    Posts
    19,157
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Sounds fun...

    (rest of Oldhand's wild, wild, west baddy adventure snipped for brevity)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldhand View Post
    ...
    To me, what was best about badminton in Las Vegas was the genuine warmth of the players. And that's a feature that should be true of badminton players everywhere
    ...glad you had a lot of fun there!...Next time, SoCal is a MUST!!..

  16. #16
    Moderator Oldhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Asia
    Posts
    7,328
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by malayali View Post
    I thought you were being sarcastic there!!!
    Really?? you didnt feel tempted to 'donate' your money to the big casino empires in Vegas??? Thats pretty sweet...
    Oh, I haven't been that miserly
    About seven years ago, I wasted five dollars on a one-cent slot machine.
    Just wanted to see how fast these things swallow the money.
    Pretty fast, I must say

    Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    ...glad you had a lot of fun there!...Next time, SoCal is a MUST!!..
    I'm scared of pandas

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Basement Boiler Room
    Posts
    22,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Super fan shares love of badminton

    By Sean Ammerman

    Thu, Nov 20, 2008 (midnight)

    For more information on the Las Vegas Badminton Club
    Don't tell Don Bolwaire badminton is just a backyard sport.

    Proper technique requires years of practice, he insists, and sound aerobic ability and reaction time.

    When the shuttlecock, or birdie, crosses the net, it can reach speeds of more than 200 mph.

    "Americans have no clue about badminton," Bolwaire said. "It's the fastest racket sport in the world. Much faster than tennis."

    The 73-year-old East Las Vegas resident has spent most his life mastering badminton.

    Since moving to Southern Nevada seven years ago, Bolwaire has made it a personal crusade to spread the sport across the Las Vegas Valley.

    His first step was forming the Las Vegas Badminton Club in 2001. Through the club he's developed programs that have grown from two to 10 sites across the city.

    "My interest is in making badminton more popular," he said. "I want more of it. I want it to become more popular. I want it to become more visible."

    Most of the club's programs are based on a "pay-to-play format," where individuals pay $2 to use courts in pickup games.

    Bolwaire usually spends each day going from one recreation center to the next, making sure everything runs smoothly and everyone gets to play.

    As soon as he steps on the courts, patrons bombard him with questions on equipment or advice on their serves.

    He introduced many to the sport or gave lessons to them at one of his classes at ClubSport Green Valley.

    "Badminton is his life," said Christine Jham, who assists with the programs. "He loves to play and he loves to help people learn how to play."

    One of the newest sites is Mirabelli Community Center in west Las Vegas, where Ron Asano has become a regular on Mondays and Wednesdays.

    After retiring in the early 1990s, he helped supervise programs in Southern California, where badminton has its most devoted U.S. following.

    Local badminton player Johnny Lim credits Bolwaire for promoting the sport more than anyone in the valley.

    "Without him we wouldn't have any clubs in Las Vegas," said Lim, a two-time gold medal winner at the Nevada Senior games.


    Sean Ammerman can be reached at 990-2661 or sean.ammerman@hbcpub.com.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. LVBC - Las Vegas Badminton Club
    By iLVBC in forum USA West
    Replies: 9
    : 12-17-2012, 12:08 AM
  2. Hello From Las Vegas
    By mannyfresssh in forum Introduction
    Replies: 25
    : 07-11-2009, 10:16 AM
  3. las vegas
    By lara1043 in forum USA West
    Replies: 0
    : 05-27-2005, 02:34 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    : 02-03-2005, 12:43 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •