Peter Gade's trick shot

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by BlinkNdSmashed, May 11, 2007.

1. BlinkNdSmashed

BlinkNdSmashed Regular Member

Student
    if anyone knows how to do Peter Gade's trick shot, could you possibly tell me how to do it?
    Thx in Advance
    BlinkNdSmashed

2. Avatar

Smash down all clears!
    hello BlinkNdSmashed.

Gade's feint is one of the most difficult trickshots i witnessed. IMO, i think the internet has promoted this shot overwhelmingly. in order to do this shot, u need to have superb flexibility on your wrist and forearm. like all deceptive shots, u need to hold your overall posture as a regular backhand post and react your wrist in the very last second. What amazes me is that so many young, inexperienced players whos wants to show off this move during club play or even at tournaments. two young players with less than 3 yrs of experience were trying to pull this trick against me multiple times a couple weeks ago. Please, stop doing this, esp in competitive play. it is ineffective, suicido, and awkward looking at best. ALWAYS focus on the basic strokes first to beat your opponents. i always say, NEVER LEARN TO RUN IF U DON'T KNOW HOW TO WALK. i took me at least 5 yrs to master a behind the back and the behind the leg shot. i only put it to practical use now out of desperation. Gade's feint is so difficult to do, i think even most professional may not even be able to pull it off effectively to be deceptively effective.

3. jerby

jerby Regular Member

it's not thát hard..though I admit don't waste time 'practising' it...and definatly don't attempt it when you're a "beginner".

the idea itself is rather easy. just hodl your racket parallel to the net, liek you would with a netshot. but let the shuttle drop past your racket...and hit it around your waistlevel..there's nothing more to say then "watch the darn video" :p

4. BlinkNdSmashed

BlinkNdSmashed Regular Member

Student
    cool, thx for the advice guys, i just wanna try to learn this shot for fun, and use it against my friends, see if it works (btw, it will only be in warm-ups etc, not in comp play, im not THAT dumb) >.>

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    thanks Avatar and jerby for the proper reply in regard to trick shots.

trust me, i play against a lot of high school badminton players. the majority of them i have seen spend most of their time doing ridiculously useless trick shots while at the same time, they have a hard time doing simple returns like a drive or a clear.

mind you, there are lots of them who are very very good and much better than me, they are the ones who have spend their time and effort in learning and mastering the basics.

6. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    This shot really iznt all that difficult to figure out. I've seen quite a few players who've really mastered it in the past few months. I've done it a couple of times but not really mastered it -- my success % is very low since I've not put much effort into practicing it.

Not sure, but I think that I saw a YouTube or other vid of the shot that showed it in slo-mo. Watching a vid (of Peter performing the shot) a few times should make it easy to figure out what he did.

While trick shots are fun to do in practice sessions or in social games, I would not do most of them in a real competitive situation (as Avatar cautions). There are some tricks that might be effective in emergency or desperation situations but most are not.

Most trick shots may work every once in a while, but against really good players you probably won't get away with it more than once, if at all. I've come across a couple of ppl who tried the Gade shot against me -- I was suitably impressed but it did not prevent me from making a effective return. Altho' these ppl executed the shot quite well, they did not quite have the very high level of deception that Peter G does.

I've also heard that Peter's opponent in that situation is known as a very fast player but tends to 'jump the gun' quite a bit too.

#6 SystemicAnomaly, May 11, 2007
    Last edited: May 11, 2007
  7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    that PG trick shot isnt that practical. U practically have to own your opponent to play that type of trick shot.

8. drowsysmurf

drowsysmurf Regular Member

Make ppl happy O_O
    1) getting it over is really really simple (as i've tried it before)
    2) getting it very close to the net and still be able to not hit the cross court out is hard (as of my experience)
    3) only works if the person isn't lazy =P if u play a person that is lazy, they typically wait for u to actually hit the shot before they move.
    4) also only works on a person that likes to anticipates shots a lot. if they play a regular game instead of an anticipating game, the shot won't work.
    5) like any other shot you do in badminton, practice, practice, practice.

*note: after practicing multiple times (mainly for fun) my shot still goes over the net too high and has a tendency to go out especially in singles.

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
  10. Swingbadabada

Swingbadabada Regular Member

Student
    I've attempted the backhand shots before - but not in proper match or tournament play. That video of the forehand one :O OMG

11. jutawin

jutawin Regular Member

Student
    I always play MD so i don't use trickshot. I do smash n drive to get point.

12. JustSmash

JustSmash Regular Member

That forehand trickshot was RIDICULOUS inearly cried >_>

13. itachi46

itachi46 Regular Member

damn i was beaten to posting this hahaha! i tried that forehand during warm up (more like telling my fren "hey i wanna try something") im not as good as him at it yet (it goes over the net very high begging for someone to tap it into my face) but its just fun to do :p

14. SheepJumpFish

SheepJumpFish Regular Member

Student
    Mate there is very little point in learning it: if you do learn to do it deceptively and accuratley all the time then you will have had to spent hours on it when you could have been making sure more important shots like your serve and defensive shots are right. If you do get it in you will look really good but you get it wrong to be honest your going to look like a bit of a prick (sorry but has to be said) and it won't win you many points but other shots will

15. badders2006

badders2006 Regular Member

^^ Totally agree with SheepJumpFish.

Learning these shots is nothing more than a novelty.

If you want to become a better badminton player but want to add deception to your play, I would suggest you spend your time practising hold and flicks instead. At least these shots can add value in an actual game.

16. itachi46

itachi46 Regular Member

true.. but the satisfaction of being able to do something "cool" like that is kind of a nice feeling :p

17. SheepJumpFish

SheepJumpFish Regular Member

Student
    Your right you do feel a satisfaction but most of the time it's not gonna be right and even if you do get one of these shots right often it becomes tedius quickly

18. jchan04

jchan04 Regular Member

peter gade used the forehand deception on lin dan? anyone have the vid on that?