User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only 'home-made' game I can think of is Mount&Blade
    http://www.taleworlds.com/
    their mouse system is ingenius...and may be use-able!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the mouse idea could work very well if you limit the number of shots.
    example:
    a straight line (6 o clock to 12) is forward, and a horizontal line (9-3) is cross court to the right and (3-9) cross court to the left. So based on the movement one of three catagories is selected. ( down the line, cross to left or right)
    the power might be difficult and you could either use the velocity of the mouse to either drop it into the catagory or short or long (short being a net/drop depending on shuttle position and long being lob/clear)
    if that is too difficult to code, perhaps, left click for power, right click for short.
    a smash could be simply clicking both buttons together.
    thus using only 2 variables ( movment angle and velocity/button click)
    you have created
    straight clear
    crosscourt to left clear
    crosscourt to right clear
    straight smash
    crosscourt to right smash
    crosscourt to left smash
    net/drop straight
    crosscourt net/drop to right
    crosscourt net/drop to left

for skill shots (e.g. serve) simply introduce some very minor and timed skill test (as has been seen in many games) for instance, once you click to serve, a bar appears and you must press a button to freeze a moving cursor at a particular point to achieve a particular serve. Of course, the cursor moves vey quickly and there is a time limit of perhaps a second, and failure results in a rubbish serve.

thats just some of my ideas. Anything to avoid study.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But can't the game detect mouse acceleration at the contact time with the shuttle? Perhaps it can tell then whether its a clear or net shot.

As for the service, I guess the bar thing can be used like many other games. Or we could just make left click drop the shuttle or something.

Oh and bmagger, I only know how to use 3dsmax so, I dont know if I could get used to N-Sided's Quidam 3D... but then again i'm a low poly modeller so I dunno

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think something like that badminton flash game on badminton-information website would be a good start. That's a pretty fun game. Models were simple, but the gameplay was addictive and controls were effective. Starting off with something like that flash game as a base with update renderings and extra controls would make that game actually pretty good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A simple badminton game could be found on www.nbv-online.de

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slicedbanana07 View Post
    I think something like that badminton flash game on badminton-information website would be a good start. That's a pretty fun game. Models were simple, but the gameplay was addictive and controls were effective. Starting off with something like that flash game as a base with update renderings and extra controls would make that game actually pretty good.
    Yes that game was quite good, but you could never hit the shuttle out. So it eventually became too easy to play. Imagine how it would play if it had multiplayer, it would be like a game of tic tac toe, both players locking into a stalemate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still I think it would be good to start with the basic gameplay of that game and progress from there (adding a small chance it may land out or whatever, or maybe "risk" shots with extra power or angle but more likely to go out or hit the net).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would definitely be interested in helping.

1, Are you interrested in this project?
    Absolutely.
    2, How much time (per week) you can work on this?
    Got from July til September 7 days a week, then from september onwards, 3 days a week college rest of week free.
    3, Which 3d engine we are going to use?
    Anything can be used really, you don't want to look for high detailed software or really complex software. I personally can use 3D Studio Max very well.
    4, Which part you want too work on? (design,coding,testing,AI or...)
    I could put forward some design ideas, and also I could design some and send you pictures. (chars, rackets nets shuttle cocks etc.)
    5, The name/domain name of the project?

I think what you have now is suitable, maybe create your own forum and also advertise on other people's forums and google.

my e-mail is cal_25_10@hotmail.com, so give me a notice if you would like some help or just post here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bmagger View Post

That would be soo cool if you could do that, i bet might even be able to sell the game if you did it like that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think if you can based the game on the Sega Virtual Tennis control and feel, it would be nice. A bit of automation but not too much. Difficulties may not necessary be playing assistances, but the skill and speed of the AI opponent.

I guess it is nice to see the birth of this badminton game soon!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colekwok View Post
    I think if you can based the game on the Sega Virtual Tennis control and feel, it would be nice. A bit of automation but not too much. Difficulties may not necessary be playing assistances, but the skill and speed of the AI opponent.
    Yeah, Sega's Virtua Tennis engine are pretty good IMHO. It will be awesome if this badminton game have that capability.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good that somebody agrees with me! I am not sure how good the Virtual Tennis 2 (PC) is. But even the first gen VT game play is smooth and nice. Bascially the control is just the four direction keys plus two hit/smash/drop keys. Maybe we need one more for badminton. Two perception views, one is overhead and the other is more like the personal view on the court. It maybe easier if someone can make a badminton conversion pack for VT. I am not a programmer, so I have no idea how hard it is going to be, but I would think that it may be easier if one can just make use of an existing game engine just for modifications.

Anyway, I think I may have to dream on!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone know if there is much development with this project?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like to suggest. A training system, where you train on your own to increase stats. And you can choose which direction you want to go, such as power player or control player. The more you train the more money you get and buy better rackets. =]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lolz sounds like an awesome idea...would be cool if you could create yourself and play against lin dan or gade or taufik ahaha...a multiplayer game with a doubles partner might be going a bit far but that would be insane...but how fast would the game be so that it would not take away from the fact that badminton is a fast paced game? the XBOX's virtual table tennis game was slowed down so slow that it wasn't even table tennis anymore...and in order to play this game at a safe and appealing way to advertise the sport, we'd have to slow badminton down a bit...and that may or may not take away the appeal of some fans, sadly to say....what do you think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nick089 View Post
    That would be soo cool if you could do that, i bet might even be able to sell the game if you did it like that
    Isn't that what Wii is for?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast