Greetings from Queensland, Australia!

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by hyperactive, May 12, 2007.

1. hyperactive

hyperactive Regular Member

student
    Hi everyone!

I'm from Miri, Sarawak, Malaysia...now studying in the University of Southern Queensland in Queensland (duh!:p), Australia!

Being Malaysian, I've been exposed to badminton since young but only really started playing in 2005...I sucked then and was by far the weakest male player in my church group...:(

Then I moved to Australia and I dont know why got addicted to badminton...(yeah talk about great timing, huh?:rolleyes:) The place where racquets are expensive, talent is minimal, and shuttlecocks prices are outrageous!

...but at least I got someone who was willing to coach me so I progressed alot here...It's great to be here and I look forward to getting to know some of you soon!!!

as for now...I'm off to explore the forum! wheeeee.................!

2. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Hehe, I'd love to see what it's like in a country where badminton is popular one day :). Maybe you got into badminton again because it was easier :p.

3. cao ci dan

cao ci dan Regular Member

student
    Halo!
    Welcome to BC!
    Enjoy!

4. erin_hakkinen

erin_hakkinen Regular Member

Business Student
    Hey welcome!
    Hope you enjoy your stay as much as I do!

5. hyperactive

student
    Yeah! its a great place, good friendly forumers, and the occasional flaming, haha...yeah, I probably got into badminton here as it was easier (less competition) but the guys who are good are really good!

Will be training hard so I can beat my church members when I go back to Msia! lolz...

6. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

I suppose what we call regional representative players here would probably just be your average club player in Malaysia hehe.

7. hyperactive

student
    well, I wouldn't go that far as to say regional reps = "the average player" but I remember the Malaysian team did comment that club players in East M'sia are better on average compared to those in West M'sia... (I'm from the east side so yeah! *smug*)

8. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Well I hope that's the case :D (but if you've seen some of the junior rep players in the south island lately... some of the lower ranked ones are reeeally bad :().

9. hyperactive

student
    south island??? You mean Singapore???

btw, I should let you know the majority of these players in east M'sia are around 30+...they're just casual players but experience helps them alot!:)

10. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Hehe no the South Island of New Zealand :) (most of the better junior players are in the North Island, only one or two in the South Island can really compete with the better North Island Players)!

11. hyperactive

student
    oh whoops! my bad...haha! So I'm guessing your from the northern part???

btw, what shuttles you using over there??? Just want to compare to we have available here in Australia...

12. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Nope I'm in the South Island :). There are some really good players here too but most of them are in the North Island.

Hmm, I don't pay a lot of attention to the shuttles but I can remember using RSL, GreenPine, Aeroplane, and umm Protech (I think that's what they're called). I quite like RSL right now but maybe that's just because they're what my friend usually gets so it's what I'm used to. I'm not really an expert on shuttles :).

BTW have you played in Australia during the summer? I was there earlier this year and a couple of days reached 40 degrees celcius. I honestly can't imagine playing in that heat. It was bad enough just walking around town, we were going into shops just to get out of the heat!

13. hyperactive

student
    Oh yeah I remember during my summer uni holidays I was in Melbourne and the temperature dropped from 42 degrees celcius to 20-something in like 5 mins! Changes like that give me a splitting headache.

...here I play in Toowoomba, thats where my university is. It's a city on a mountain so it can get pretty hot but not too bad in general. Besides, I'm used to Malaysian temperature, haha...

Now we're having the opposite problem, its freezing cold out tonight! 10 degrees to be exact...whats it like there?

14. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Usually around 15-20 during the day. But at night (when we play badminton) it can get pretty cold. Still it's better up here (at the top of the South Island) than further south. I was in Dunedin recently and it was so cold all my muscles tensed up and hurt really bad, and that was with a big jacket on. The wind just went right through.

Actually yeah it was Melbourne I was talking about before. Are Malaysian temperatures similar to Australia's then? Because it's a real shock at first going from NZ to Australia.

15. hyperactive

student
    Not really...Australia is drought prone, Malaysia on the other hand (at least the part where I'm from) rains almost everyday at around 5pm...The wind blows out to the sea when the lands hot during the day and blows back in as the sun sets bringing in the rain...

...upside is the temperatures pretty stable but everyday is a burning summers day, lol...

You should visit some time, play some badminton with the locals! Aussies and New Zealanders enjoy it there coz of the exchange rate...

16. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Yeah it would be very interesting to see what badminton is like in Malaysia! I'm thinking of traveling after I do some sort of course in graphic design in the next few years. Though knowing me I never get around to doing such adventurous things... But I'll definitely put down Malaysia as a possibility if I do :)!

17. hyperactive

student
    If you do like adventure make sure you go to East Msia!! You can go cave diving and explore nature...I miss jungle trekking!

So what would you recommend for people wanting to go over to NZ? My dad studied there like a million years ago...He was in Wellington if I'm not mistaken...still enjoy watching the All Blacks!!!

If I have the time I really want to go to NZ. Since I'm already in Aussie, it seems so close yet so far...

18. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Hmm, well I'd definitely recommend Queenstown. That's a very popular place for tourists. Loads of outdoor activities and things, and right next to a lake in the middle of the mountains. And it's close to my favourite city in NZ, Dunedin, which is pretty much the student capital of NZ. A large part of the population attend Otago University which has quite a good reputation here. So naturally Dunedin is full of character. It's easy to get around as it's not too big and yet there's plenty to do. Last time I went (for a badminton tournament coincidentally) we ate at a really nice pirate themed pizza restaurant called the Tall Poppy in Port Chalmers (which is just a few minutes out of Dunedin). So if you do ever end up in Dunedin, that's a really nice place to eat hehe :).

Wellington comes in a close second for me. The Te Papa museum was quite interesting, and the main shopping center is pretty lively. But they both have terrible weather :p.

To be honest I haven't really done a lot considering I've lived here my whole life. But I'd definitely at least recommend those two places (Queenstown and Dunedin). I haven't been to Auckland but from what I've heard it's just your typical big city. Nothing particularly unique about it except for the sky tower. Still it's where most of the badminton happens.

There's loads to see and do here, but I haven't really done much of it myself so I wouldn't know what to recommend apart from the above :).

#18 phaarix, May 20, 2007
    Last edited: May 20, 2007
  19. hyperactive

student
    where the place where they made the Lord of the Rings?

20. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

All over NZ actually. But I found two interesting sites. The first is a map. Hover over the links on the right and the location will show up on the map:

http://www.trilogytrail.com/map.html

Seems a lot of it was filmed around Queenstown :). And the second site:

http://www.lordoftheringstours.co.nz/

Seems like they have tours, that sounds pretty cool. Maybe I should do it sometime!