Broke my Ncode N3 racket!

Discussion in 'Broken Rackets' started by hkm89, May 12, 2007.

1. hkm89

hkm89 Regular Member

I bought an Ncode N3 badminton racket from www.badmintonalley.com less than a yr ago...

and broke it on a smash i believe...last week..

i tried to look on the website for info on warranty, but couldn't find any.

so i visited www.wilson.com but they only talked about tennis and racquetball rackets and not badminton rackets.

does anyone know if wilson badminton rackets come with a standard 1 yr warranty?

what should i do?

2. Ken168

Ken168 Regular Member

Student
    when i went to a sports store and inquired about rackets they said that wilson n code rackets are known for breaking

3. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Contact Badmintn Alley and see if they can help you. If it does not work out, contact Yonex USA.

4. Docaroo

Docaroo Regular Member

Geology Student
    wilson rackets do indeed come with a standard 1 year warranty... you will likely get a replacement so speak to the ppl you bought it from! :)

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    You mean, contact Wilson, right? ;)

Yeah, I agree with Matt's approach. Try to contact the retailer or manufacture (if necessary) directly, instead of gathering information from 3rd party. Each store / manufacture might have different policies, and it also might vary depend on the region.

6. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Sorry to hear of your breakage.

LOL Matt...
    Yonex would laugh at him for asking them to warranty a Wilson :p

In all seriousness to the OP.
    Wilson has a 1 year warranty from the date of purchase.
    If you can provide a facsimilie of your original purchase receipt, and also pass the inspection test, that your equipment has not been abused, or misused.

Wilson will replace your product.

Or... in most cases now, the vendor you purchased from will handle the warranty claim, and issue replacements to you on Wilson's behalf.
    In this case, contact Badminton Alley first, and make sure to have your receipt handy... they may ask for a copy.

Wilson & other large manufacturers are slow in updating their website content.
    You can assume, the 1 year warranty against manufacturing defects, on tennis & racquetball applies to both their squash & badminton lines.

Wilson products are fine.

I am still using 2 x N1's over a bunch of other goodies in my possession.
    Having snapped a few racquets from another brand in the past 2 months

I started to look for alternatives, and found this (Wilson) to be inexpensive & it suits me well.
    (Elastomer material located @ the cone, is a God-send... the rubbery type material absorbs & cushions a lot of the torque I've been putting on the shaft/cone area, making things a lot more durable for me)

Another alternative for me is not to be such a newbie and break everything :eek:

To each his own, best of luck to you...
    I hope you get your replacement.

Cheers.

7. hkm89

hkm89 Regular Member

i called em up today and the guy said it only has a 3 month warranty...=(

i thought it was 1 year...

so i asked about the warranty for yonex and he said it's 6 months...

is this true?

or is he BSing me..T_T

8. drowsysmurf

drowsysmurf Regular Member

Make ppl happy O_O
    u called the guy from badminton alley? new policy? prolly real. but itz worth a try sending it in because how the heck would the manufacture know when you bought the racket =P unless u gonna send it in thru badminton alley. the warranty is from the time u purchase ur racket (in yonex terms, most racket model changes by the year or 2 year).

9. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Lol brain dead !! I thought it was the Yonex TC Tuff racket series!! Yes, contact Wilson!!

10. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Yes Yonex warrenty is officially 6 months. It can go up to a year but it is not written in stone. If the do replace it, they would do it for good will.

#10 Matt, May 15, 2007
    Last edited: May 15, 2007
  11. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Here is the excerpt taken from Wilson's own website.

http://wilson-sports.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wilson_sports.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=210&p_created=985729061&p_sid=19-HjGBi&p_accessibility=0&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0yMDImcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=&p_topview=1

Here is some info I've gotten from my vendor regarding warranty claims.
    & accompanying the copy & paste, is the policy info. from my specific vendor.

I've bolded, italicized, & changed to RED, the pertinent info, that you will need to contact Wilson, to escalate the issue.

Now you notice with my correspondence, that specific warranty period for Wilson badminton racquets is not mentioned.

I have just sent another email, asking specifically what the length of Warranty period is for Wilson badminton racquets.

I will update everyone with my own findings from my specific vendor, however given the info from Wilson's website.

Looking @ warranty coverage, they list every major racquet sport they cover... Squash, Tennis, Racquet Ball....

HKM89, I believe you are on grounds to argue with Wilson & your vendor that this Warranty period should also cover badminton racquets.

There is no explicit statement from what I've read excluding badminton racquet frames from this warranty coverage

If I were you, I would take this directly up with Wilson.

This may infact be a case of "buyer beware"

If badminton alley is the only vendor that has 3 month warranty on all Wilson products, then I think the community should know about this...
    Especially if store CBRYZ is selling the same product, and offering a full 1 year warranty from the date of purchase; on the racquet.

I will as mentioned, update you guys with my own findings with my own vendor.

This is good information to know!!

Unless explicitly stated by the manufacturer, I think you are definitely on proper grounds to argue to the contrary of what your retailer says verbally.

Get a written statement from Wilson if you have to...

Just make sure you have everything including your proof of purchase available & you should be on the right side of things.

Sometimes I realize it is just a hassle, and people dont bother getting things claimed for warranty.

For instance, in my case, if I have a camera that breaks, I wont bother getting it fixed, I just give it away to someone who will take the time, and I'll buy something new.

Its up to you, the buyer to make the decision to get your goods repaired/replaced, or just bite the bullet, and go buy a new one.

Best of luck to you.

Cheers,
    -Kelvin

#11 Kelvin, May 15, 2007
  12. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    I've been doing some reading...

Badminton Alley's website does not list any sort of warranty guarantee on the goods they sell. :eek:

Whereas other retailers such as Sandiego Badminton Supply does indicate, that all their racquets have a 1 year warranty.

I checked another vendor I shop from, and here is their explicitly expressed warranty period.

BADMINTON RACKETS
    BABOLAT : 180 DAYS
    BLACK KNIGHT : 180 DAYS
    CARLTON : 180 DAYS
    WILSON : 180 DAYS
    YONEX : 180 DAYS

So in this case, with http://www.tenniszon.com they warranty the racquet for 6months.

3 months offered by Badminton Alley seems rather short, and perhaps unfair... :(

I'll let you know as I find out from where I bought my racquets from tomorrow, when they reply.

13. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Ok... here is what I clipped from Badminton Alley's website.

http://www.badmintonalley.com/terms.asp
    Bolded & Italicized.

I also found the following.
    http://www.badmintonalley.com/help_answer.asp?ID=27#27

I'm sorry HKM89... I think we may have hit a dead end with Badminton Alley.

But I still urge you to contact Wilson directly, and see if they cant help you with your broken racquet issue.

-Kelvin

edit: So Master LB is correct...
    It would seem different vendors, have different policies...
    It is really unfortunate considering Badminton Alley even states on their website, that they are a "Platinum dealer" and work with wilson to test their equipment blah blah blah... :eek:

#13 Kelvin, May 15, 2007
  14. hkm89

hkm89 Regular Member

ah...this rly sucks...

thanks kelvin for all the info...i think ill contact wilson tomorrow and see if i can get it

15. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    in china,it's only 3 months warranty..for any brands of racket..

16. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    WOW... Just WOW, I'm worse off than the rest of you for warranty LOL!!!

Here's the response I got from the shop, I bought my N1's from LOL...

Looks like I'm worse off for coverage :p
    Oh well, they were a really good deal, and play really well for the price.
    So I have no regrets if mine break on me... :D:p:eek:

So it really does seem that retailers are allowed to set their own
    warranty periods for their Wilson badminton products :(

Looks like I was wrong.
    We've now seen anywhere from 60days to 1 year.

I think I will write a letter to Wilson, to find out their policy.
    I wasn't exactly having doubts before, but if a company as large as Wilson isn't willing to back their own product...
    Well let's just say that buyer confidence, isn't going to be as great either.

With HEAD/Penn about to kick things into high gear with their product lines.
    I'll be trying them out as well.
    Let's hope they have some great offerings & back their products up with a comparable warranty as YY does their product. ;)

Its good to know the different warranty periods on your goods in case you have problems too.
    At least you know whether or not there is support after the purchase of your product. Of course... the length of that varies as we now know, and differs from manufacturer to manufacturer. :D

In the meantime, I'll just continue enjoying my Wilson N1's until they decide to fall apart. LOL

Cheers everyone! :D

#16 Kelvin, May 17, 2007
    Last edited: May 17, 2007
  17. Docaroo

Docaroo Regular Member

Geology Student
    Regardless of the warranty offered by the reseller... WILSON cover their rackets with a 1 year warranty.

It doesn't matter ONE BIT if Badminton Alley say 3 months - when they get the racket they contact Wilson within the 1 year period and WIlson will arrange to take delivery of the racket. Wilson then inspect the racket and unless it has been found to be abused they will offer a new racket.

I wuould be FURIOUS with Badminton Alley right now, if they don't change their stance go direct to Wilson and inform them of Badminton Alley's conduct because they won't be very happy.

Your Wilson racket carries a 1 year warranty no matter what!

18. kichiro obuchi

kichiro obuchi New Member

student in high school
    same here!!

i broke my kfactor kblaze from a smash :[
    but i only had it for barely 2 months maybe
    but badminton alley didnt give me a recept [i think..]
    but yea wud they exchange it for a new one?

19. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    OMG :eek:

Sometimes I am actually happy that the Goverement in my country (Sweden) has some strong Consumer Laws...

1) If a purchased product breaks within 6 Months, it is actually the seller/producer that should "prove" that the breakage was missue and not manufacture defect (so default is repair/replacement).

2) Manufacture defects (for example structure faults in the graphite of a racket) are covered by the "consumer law" for 3!! Years from date of purchase. Within this time the buyer has the right to get the product reparied, replaced or refunded..
    (beyond 6 month the buyer has to prove the fault was existing, and not due to abuse)

These laws only applies to purchades made trough registered companies, purcahses from private-persons etc. are not covered..

I really like these laws, as it somewhat enforces a bit of quality control from the stores selling goods, and as a consumer I think it is fair that you are protected from buying products with defects not immideately apperant!

cheers,
    Twobeer

20. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

you should demand a receipt from them, and then contact Wilson directly. Contacting a 3rd party is wasting your time and money, since they normally charge you extra for shipping, and handling fees.

I have my nCode 1 replaced by Wilson free of charge, which I broke about 9 month after purchase. they are superb in handling this kind of warranty issue. BUT, the key is the receipt or proof.

IF i remember right, 1-year warranty is standard for Wilson.

Good luck.