Superior tennis-playing badminton player

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by BadJY, May 12, 2007.

1. BadJY

BadJY Regular Member

Student
    Hey guys,
    I need your opinon on something.
    At my high school, we have 1 semester dedicated to badminton. The best guy in my class is this extremely tall guy(around 2 meters) with no badminton coaching. He plays Tennis regularly though, and he's good at it. He only plays badminton at school when it's asked for. I challenged him, and wanted to know if there was any tips/suggestions on how to beat him? He has no problems with any of the shots(clears, drops, smashes, etc.), except he doesn't move very fast/doesn't place his shots(doesn't need to, cuz he's so huge he just needs to walk a few steps from back to front)

#1 BadJY, May 12, 2007
    Last edited: May 12, 2007
  2. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

If the guy isn't moving much, it means you're hitting it pretty much to him. You should see Bao Chunlai play. He's really tall, but he still has to move around the court a lot. Just aim for the corners and move him to the front and back. Eventually he'll tire out because he doesn't know how to move efficiently on the court.

3. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

smash as steep as you can, it's harder for him to defend close body shots or low shots.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    you can hit drive shots to his body. tennis players are not used to these shots and cannot move their body so much to take these shots.

Particularly effective will be those ones coming at a slight diagonal direction i.e passing left to right or vice versa just in front of his body.

5. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I agree with Lam and Cheung.. Longer players usually have more problem with low shots, drops etc (for obivous reasons :) ).. So deceptive drops and slices is in many cases a goof strategy, and try to get into net-play is probably a good idea..

Tennis players are usually slower in reaction as well, so flat play, to the body shots etc.. is usually a good idea :)

/Twobeer

6. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    why not just shock him with steep drops?

7. BadJY

BadJY Regular Member

Student
    As for the drops, he is able to receive them somehow. I swear I make him move, but he still gets all the shots somehow, but he seems very slow on court cuz he only takes a few steps but each step is huge.

8. fivestars

fivestars Regular Member

Usually taller people turn their body slower. If he is standing near the back of the court try a steeper half-smash to his backhand side where he has to turn his body to hit. If he is more up front and compare to a normal defensive stance smash to the back of the court. This way he will have to turn faster. Try to alternate smash for variation.

9. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

change shots all the time.
    eg clear, clear, drop, clear to backhand, clear to forehand, extremely deceptive drop, smash, smash, drop, clear

10. Mads "U"

Mads "U" Regular Member

Documentation Engineer
    Steep drops, which fall well in front of him
    High clears, which goes over him.
    This will make him move.
    Fast drops and low clears (especially cross court) will make you move.

When he opens with a drop, return it with a high and short netdrop. One that will fall close to the net.

If he returns your drop with a net-drop - return with a flat lob to the rear back hand corner.

11. morewood

morewood Regular Member

Case of get him to rush about the court, good clears, tight drop shots and make use of the courts width too.

12. dunker

dunker Regular Member

Veterinarian
    Maybe we are going about this all wrong, insted of just tring to find a weakness and attacking it, have you thought about your own weakness? I had this tall player in school once and after losing to him a number of times i decided to train harder on my foot work and my fitness. So what i did was keep my gameplan simple...like no brainer. I just kept lifting the shuttle as high as i can and pick up everything he throws at me. After a while, he was leading 11-3, he started to pant...hard. and i took the time to attack. I won in the end and vomited at the back of the court but i beat him. Not all situations are the same, but maybe you can use my story to your advantage. By the way i am only 168 cm tall, the other guy was about 180 i think. Nothing like your 2m monster.

#12 dunker, May 18, 2007
    Last edited: May 18, 2007
  13. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    i agree. maybe he could read your game plan. plus he might be a very good athlete anyway. maybe that's why he could move better. looks slow but maybe he already knew how to cover the court well.

14. morewood

morewood Regular Member

Just to point out that even tall people need to move in badminton, I am 6'3" (189cm) and when playing at a higher level than I currently do I used to wizz about the court, even now carrying extra weight and several aching joints I do still move quickly when the need arises.

15. zuihoujueding

zuihoujueding Regular Member

i stay in australia and had a couple of tennis players switched to badminton. one thing i notice is that they had tons of strength! well, i supposed you know why. they can smash real hard but thats about it. ofcos smashing is not the only trick in badminton, they still have lots to learn.

16. dejecter

dejecter Regular Member

Student

That's the easiest way to win.

17. chrishin

chrishin Regular Member

tennis players have alot of stamina.
    one thing i noticed is they have great forehand but their backhand is just yucky (nicest i can say) they hit it like tennis so it flies weird. usually very flat and weak. if the person's like that then just go upto the net and smash it down

18. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    Tennis players have good horizontal movement and can last in that movement for a long time. However, if you were running him back, forward, side to side, then I think his game can be broken.

19. rwg05

rwg05 Regular Member

Why are you bothered?
    You've (Im assuming) taken coaching, he hasn't.
    You play badminton, he plays tennis (which further damages his badminton game).
    He musn't have played for a long long time. You must have played yesterday.

Just play your natural game as you would against any opponent!

20. chrishin

chrishin Regular Member

argh i think i've improved over the summer but i've got school tryouts tomorrow. all the tennis players want to join the team. Old thread but more tips would be nice.