Need help choosing a racket

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by LuckyBoy, May 13, 2007.

1. LuckyBoy

LuckyBoy Regular Member

Hey guys..
    Yeah so...
    I'm looking for an all-round racquet
    Max: $120 Canadian
    Brand: Does not matter

Thnx...in advance...

2. pedro22

pedro22 Regular Member

If you're in Toronto, $120CAD can get you a nice SOTX Woven-8.

3. LuckyBoy

LuckyBoy Regular Member

I'm in Vancouver
    I'm going to hk soon

4. fivestars

fivestars Regular Member

5. pedro22

pedro22 Regular Member

www.bbesports.com lists the Woven-8 for $83.50US. Search the forums to find out what people say about the racquet.

6. LuckyBoy

LuckyBoy Regular Member

Hmmmm good suggestions
    i'm open to more...any more

7. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    You didn't really say, but I'm assuming that you are looking for a decent intermediate racket. You did indicate that your quest is for an all-round racquet. I'm not sure if this description implies medium flex, but I will assume that you are looking for a racket (or racquet) that is a balance between offensive & defensive.

There are a number of Yonex rackets in your price range that you might consider. Yonex tends to be a bit overpriced so I'd try to find something on sale if possible to get the most bang for your buck. Decent med-flex all-round Yonex frames include the MP 21 (MusclePower), MP 29Lt & the Cab 20 (Carbonex).

If you don't mind a little stiffer frame, consider the AT 250 (ArmorTec). All-round rackets that are more flexible include a couple of Isometric frames -- the Iso 65Lt and the Iso 75MF.

A few defensive (somewhat) frames worthy of consideration are AT 150, Cab 8400Ti and Cab 8600Ti. Check the following chart as an aid:

http://www.winningbadminton.com/2006RacquetChart.jpg

(left side is flexible, right side is stiff, up is offensive, down is defensive)

Try the following Candian sources for some deals:

http://www.mjstrings.ca/badmintonracquets.php
    http://www.winningbadminton.com/badminton_racquets.htm

Several shops in the SF bay area have the Iso 75MF Lt on sale for $50US (don't kno the conversion rate) -- ASBY, RacketSupply, Badminton Alley. The last shop also has the MP21 discounted a bit.

I don't know the Kason line at all, but the graph on the page link below may help somewhat (however, these may be mostly more expensive frames). I noticed that chart in printed Kason catalog is a bit different -- some different rackets shown and slightly different location on the graph for some rackets.

http://kason.com.cn/en/support-1.htm

Some of the Wilson Vision series is on sale at Winning Badminton and at Badminton Alley. The Vision 8 appears to be very popular (altho' it seems a bit too head-light for my taste). I just picked up the Vision 14 and really like it (after I added some weight to the racket head). Don't really know anything about the other racquets in the Vision series.

8. Ar Dan

Ar Dan Regular Member

Property Management
    If you're planning to purchase a racket in HK, you can choose between the Yonex Ti-10, MP99, MP88, those are all within the price range for you.

9. LuckyBoy

LuckyBoy Regular Member

tyty ppl :D

I'm now choosing between mp99, Kason TSF100 , TSF Glory98, and SOTX Woven 8...hmm which would be good?

10. david07

david07 New Member

Student
    I have a Woven 8 and I can tell you It's the best of both worlds. It's a good all around racket with enough stiffness for powerfull offensive smashes and it's also light enough for quick defence. It's classified as stiff, but it's not stiff at all for me. Give it a try, Woven 8 is a great racket to get if your just starting out with the SOTX brand.

11. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

I will say 1) SOTX Woven 8 2)MP99 because both performs the same and SOTX is cheaper.

12. david07

david07 New Member

Student
    So slientheart, ur saying MP99 and Woven 8 are pretty much the same racket? and Yonex calls that extra stiff? lol

13. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

No, I mean they perform ABOUT the same. I did not say the shaft has same stiffness and I did miss the ABOUT.
    Both are for good for attack and defense player with shaft on the stiff or extra stiff side. According to SOTX, Woven 8 has stiffness of 8.5-9/10 which is about the same for Yonex MP99 if you give NS9k-x stiffness 9.5. Woven 8 is more even balanced and few grams lighter then MP99 which is head light/even balanced.
    These are just my opinion and how I feel after tried out both racquets.

14. LuckyBoy

LuckyBoy Regular Member

stiffness gives u more power? or is more flex gives u more power

15. izzi-carbonex

izzi-carbonex Regular Member

IT Product Engineer
    luckyboy, how bout try out Carbonex 21SP (for all rounder type of player) but bare in mind all Carbonex Series is not that flex enough but will contra back with accurate & power game!

16. fivestars

fivestars Regular Member

I wouldn't consider mp99 an all-around racquet and it is harder to find one under $120 CDN, even in HK. If you have good technique and enough explosive power, meaning explosive power from the forearm, wrist and tightening of the fingers a point of contact, then it is a good racquet to use. Another way of stating it is if you can clear back-court to back-court easily without adding waist/body rotation and without using too much shoulder strength. If the meaning of extra stiff with YY has a similar meaning with Sotx, the stiffness would be under 8.0. Stiff Sotx wovens is 8.0-8.5, so I think something under 8.0 is reasonable.

TSF 100 is an improvement over TSF Glory 98. So if you choose 98 then TSF 100 would be better. Woven-8 is 670mm compare to TSF 100 that is 675mm. A 675mm racquet is more optimal for improving techniques, especially for singles technique. If you have your technique down and play doubles, then a 670mm Woven-8 might be more suitable because you change swing faster. If you don’t mine me asking, do you play singles or double? And how is your technique/skill level?

17. fivestars

fivestars Regular Member

A more flexible shaft gives more power. As the racquet is swung the shaft bends/flex backward (or the opposite direction of the swing) and bends to the other direction as it hits the shuttlecock before return to it original form. A more flexible shaft will bend more and this adds more power, but gives less control because the more the racquet bends the more difficult it is to hit the sweet spot and control the direction of the shot.

18. fivestars

fivestars Regular Member

Sorry typo...

If you have your techniques down and play doubles, then a 670mm Woven-8 might be more suitable because you can swing faster and move the racquet around faster, such as switching between forehand to backhand drive/push/block shots .

19. LuckyBoy

LuckyBoy Regular Member

I mostly play doubles...but i can play singles too lol
    well...people say my technique is quite good for someone who isn't in a club or anything....but my footwork is not that great nor horrible...i'm practicing on it lol ^^
    I just have problems back handing clears when my back is facing the net

20. fivestars

fivestars Regular Member

Do you mean backhand clears:confused:? Non-pro players usually have trouble with those. I can't do backhand clear:crying:, buy luckly my footwork is fast enough to hit 95% of those shots with around the head technique. The rest 5% with a backhand drop or a cross court drop:). IMO, for doubles a Woven-8 might be better than TSF 100. You might want to read this thread for Woven and other Sotx comparison, http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40069&highlight=D900. I'm not familiar with most of the Sotx racquets. I make judgements base on the specs and comparisons I read in other posts. For Woven-7 that I have, it's good for doubles offensive. For the TSF 100 that I have, it's good for all-around doubles and singles.

From personal experience, the choice of stiffer and medium stiff racket depends on technique(including explosive power), stength and wrist injuries. If you currently have wrist injuries or have wrist injuries in the past and didn't correct the technique or hasn't recovered and strengthen the related muscles groups(forarm, grip power, etc), then a extra stiff racket is probably not the best choice.