Light, Head light or even & Flex or medium flex racket?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by squallyeo, May 14, 2007.

1. squallyeo

squallyeo Regular Member

hi, everyone. i'm a newbie here and hope for some help for u guys out there. i can say tat i'm a weak (i mean not so much power) player and my wrist is not sopowerful either. after reading tis forum for some time, i think i need a light, head light or even balanced and flexible or medium flex racket, correct me if i'm wrong. and here is some questions tat might help with ur recommendations. thanks in advance.

1. How often do you play, how serious are you?
    i play about 3-4 hours a week, sometimes lesser coz no playmates but i'm a serious player who wants to improve myself

2. What style of player are you? (Aggressive smasher, net player ...)
    i think i'm more to a control player but my defence n smasher aren't tat good, duno izit because of the racket i'm using now. i need a racket tat can giv power for drives and can return smashers well.

3. Do you care much about durability or is it all about performance?
    i think i perfer performance coz i'm quite careful with my racket.

4. How much money do you want to spend?
    well, if you can, please also recommend me some middle range rackets, other tat those high end, expensive rackets tat you all talk about in the forum coz i duno how much is my budget yet. :p . thanks

2. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

i think you need an even balance to head heavy one.
    which part of malaysia? perhaps you can try out these:
    Yang Yang Salute 6.0 (rm120 with racket bag)
    Yonex Carbonex 8200 light (rm 160)

but i dont recommend you to get a yonex. other brands are more suitable.

3. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    hmmmm, how about a recommendation of other brands llpjlau coz i have an old yonex 8000 which performs well for me and a yonex 75 MFLT which sucks (maybe due to the my shortcomings) and now i am thinking of an MP29 light just to try a racket with medium flex since the other two is flexible. but reading the threads in BC i think maybe i want to invest that budget on a good racket but not yonex since it is more expensive than the other same level racket. thanks in advance. sorry i crashed this thread but i think my situation is similar to squallyeo. :D

4. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

ProAce ultra light?

5. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    go for RSL Heat 7200. RM 200+- c/w bag, string & overgrip.............

6. wakloo69

wakloo69 Regular Member

librarian
    Try to get Carlton Aerospeed 29 - 87g, even balance, max string 28lbs, medium flex....

7. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    thanks. i will check out the rackets that were suggested. :D

8. squallyeo

squallyeo Regular Member

thx everyone for replying tis thread. well, i think now my budget is about rm 200 to 300. is yonex's rackets in the range of price sucks? actually i'm also considering yonex mp 29 light and mp 45. anymore recommendations? how about apacs? i saw apacs rackets tat counterfeit ns7700. izit good? thx in advance

by the way, i now in johor coz it's now holiday. i'm returning to kl to study at the end of the month.

9. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    JB has a lot of choice of badminton rackets. by the way squallyeo, how much is a MP29 light and MP45 in JB? how about the apacs racket you were talking about? i heard proace rackets are easy to find in JB. :D

on another matter, i have been trying to find out more information on my carbonex 8000 (very old model) since i like the way it feels when i play. trying to find out if it is head light or head heavy. i know it is flexible but dont know the balance. and would it make a big difference when the racket is medium flex?

thank you in advance for all the help and suggestions. :D ;)

10. squallyeo

squallyeo Regular Member

azabaz, actually i'm not in jb but in batu pahat. at here, mp29 light is rm180 and mp45 is rm270 but i duno whether it is including the string and grip. i'll visit the shop in the next few days. and i heard from a badminton court owner tat mp45 is made in china, not good. anyone can certify tat? thx in advance. i duno the performance of those apacs rackets coz no one tat i know use tat racket.

11. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
  12. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    "It sucks" --not really very useful feedback. So, exactly what is it about the Iso 75 that you did not like? I'd really like to know.

13. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    :D sorry. okay, let's see. before i start, i just want to emphasis that the problem might lie with my own shortcomings on my skills. the conclusion was made simply by comparison to the other racket i own. let's begin.....:D the racket sucks for me because first of all it feels too light which in turn makes me feel my shots have no power. the cab 8000 (the other racket i own) are 2U compared to the ISO which is 3U. maybe that is the problem. i guess flexible racket should be a bit heavier. seems like even when i swing with all my might, the power is still not there in comparison to the other racket. second of all, there is no feel. meaning when i play net shots or drop shots, i cannot feel the shuttle. the other racket was strung at 25 lbs using a free string i got in a tournament and it feels better than the ISO 75. the ISO was strung at 23 lbs using BG 66. but even before, when the cab 8000 was using the bg pro 70 string and have not been used for so long, the feel is better. i misshit the shuttle more often with the ISO 75. that could be my problem but i seldom misshit with my cab 8000. might be because the cab is oval. or maybe it is longer than the ISO 75. i am not sure. so really, the racket sucks FOR ME. it might not sucks for others. :D;)

14. squallyeo

squallyeo Regular Member

hi, everyone. long time no c. jus wana tell u guys tat in the end i bought the wilson ncode n7 and not yonex :p. tis is bcoz i read quite good reviews of wilson's racket n i decided to giv it a try. i hav played 5 hours wf it and i would say it is a very forgiving racket. i got used to it quite fast maybe bcoz it suits my play style. i think it is a flexible, very light(85 to 89 grams) and in the middle of even balance to head light racket. the placings and smashes are quite accurate and clears are quite easy too but it is not suitable for those who like to smash a lot although the degree of the smashes it delivers are quite 'good' but not reli powerful. until now i like it very much. haha

15. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

i have a wilson ncode 7. dont use it much though.

16. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    Kewl, thnx for the feedback. I would think that the weight or the balance of the Iso 75 might be the primary issue. An unfamiliar weight/balance would throw of your stroke timing for many shots resulting in mis-hits.

A simple solution would be to add some lead (or cloth) tape to the racket frame. Lead tape can be found at some tennis shops. Try to get some narrow tape if you can IF you need to add weight to the racket head.

If the balance is ok, then add weight to the shaft near the balance point. If the racket seems to be too head-light, then add tape to the racket head. Make sure that you don't tape over where the string enters the grommets -- this could restrict movement of the strings & cause it to break.

(You could add weight to (or near) the handle if you think that the racket is too light but the balance is a bit on the head-heavy side).

You might also need to adjust the string tension of the racket to make it play more like the Cab. 2 things to take into account here. Is the stringbed pattern more dense for one racket than the other? I believe that a dense pattern (strings closer together) can result is less power. Is one frame stiffer than the other?

You can't really change the stiffness of the frame or the stringbed density, but you can compensate for these differences to a fair degree by adjusting the string tension of the Iso 75.

17. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    Check out this graphic for Yonex rackete:

http://www.winningbadminton.com/2006RacquetChart.jpg

It would appear the the Isometric 75 and the Cab 8000 (Light?) are intended for very similar playing styles. That being the case, adjusting the balance or weight of Iso 75 along with adjusting the string tension (see prev post) should allow you to get it fairly close to the Cab 8000.

If the Cab is a bit longer than the Iso racket, that really shouldn't be that much of a problem. You should be using a long grip in the backcourt and a short grip in the midcourt and the forecourt anyway. If you get accustomed to changing your grip location as you move around the court, then the minor diff in racket lengths should not bother you much at all.

18. wakloo69

wakloo69 Regular Member

librarian
    Pro Ace Thunderbolt III/ultra lighweight (printed on shaft)/3UG5/HMG/Power System Head/Head Heavy Balance

19. wakloo69

wakloo69 Regular Member

librarian
    You also can try Carlton Powerflo 807 Wide

- 85g/G5
    - up to 28lbs
    - stiff
    - even balance
    - micro carbon head iso frame
    - black color - "hitam itu menawan"

"Best giler wa cakap luuuuu" hehehehe.....

20. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    yeah the weight might be the issue but balance, i think not because after adding grips for both rackets, the balance is pretty much the same. my racket is the old discontinued model cab 8000 which later, i think, was upgraded to cab 8000 light. the stringbed pattern is the same. only the string type and tension are different. i agree that maybe changing the string tension will make a difference. maybe higher than 23lbs. thanks for the tips. :D