Indonesia wants Rexy to coach doubles

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by apontoh, May 14, 2007.

1. apontoh

apontoh Regular Member

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial][/FONT]
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial][/FONT]
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial]No joy for hosts at Indonesia Open[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Damar Harsanto, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]For the first time in 25 years, no Indonesian shuttler won a title at the Indonesia Open. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] The last local hope, the mixed doubles pair of Nova Widianto and Lilyana Natsir, lost Sunday in the final of the US$250,000 tournament. The Indonesians fell 21-16, 21-11 to fifth seeds Zheng Bo and Gao Ling of China, sending the crowd at the Senayan indoor stadium in Jakarta home disappointed. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Also disappointment was Badminton Association of Indonesia (PBSI) chairman Sutiyoso, also the governor of Jakarta, who was in the stands for the match. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] "The defeat puts our goal of winning back the Sudirman Cup in serious risk. Nova and Lilyana are among our main hopes for the event. This may be their poorest showing," said Sutiyoso. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] "I am very disappointed and displeased with their performance. Even the fans went home before the match ended." [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Indonesia is gearing up for the mixed team Sudirman Cup in Glasgow, Scotland, from June 11-17. The country won the coveted title in its maiden event in Jakarta, in 1989. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] It has fallen short since in its efforts to recapture the trophy, which has passed between six-time champion China and two-time champ South Korea. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Asked how the PBSI planned to respond to the disappointing showing at the Indonesia Open, Sutiyoso said: "We will try to get Rexy to come back and coach our doubles." [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Sutiyoso was referring to Rexy Mainaky, the 1996 Olympics gold medalist in the men's doubles with partner Ricky Subagdja. He now coaches Malaysia. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Two of his players, Mohd. Zakry Abdul Latif and Mohd. Fairuzizuan Mohd. Tazari, reached the men's doubles final, falling to Chinese world champions Fu Haifeng and Cai Yun 21-17, 22-20. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] "I also will dismiss the men's doubles pair of Luluk Hadiyanto and Alvent Yulianto (from the team) as they have shown no progress. We may invite Candra (Wijaya) back," Sutiyoso added. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Candra -- who won gold at the 2000 Olympics with men's doubles partner Tony Gunawan, who now represents the United States -- is listed on the Sudirman Cup squad. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Sutiyoso said the mixed doubles pair of Flandy Limpele and Vita Marissa, who won the recent Singapore Open, might be tapped to replace Nova and Lilyana on the squad if they did not show improved play. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Nova acknowledged after the final that they played "below par". [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] "We were too tense and under heavy pressure as we were the only hope left for a title." [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Lilyana said they tried everything to put their opponents on their heels, but nothing seemed to work. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] "They seemed to anticipate everything we did," she said. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] China came close to a sweep of the titles at the Indonesia Open, but Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia crashed the party by defeating world No. 2 Bao Chunlai 21-15, 21-16 in the men's singles. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] "I was fully motivated to win. I didn't give Bao a chance to attack me with his strong smashes," said the fifth seed, who recently reunited with coach Misbun Sidek after a slump in form over the past few months. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] "I want to be world No. 1 again and my personal target is to win the World Championships in Kuala Lumpur in August," he said.[/FONT]

2. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    PBSI might have realise this a little too late. If they had a better system people like Tony,Halim and even Candra will not even think of leaving. I mean not all BA have a perfect system. But i do hope to see more emerging stars from our neighbour Indonesia to shine as well. At least this will keep the game more interesting.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    barn door is already open and horses have left.
    u cant ask rexy, tony, halim, candra, etc to severe their contract just because pbsi like them to.

4. KlasseE

KlasseE Regular Member

The chance is almost close to zero. Rexy n his family really enjoy their life in Malaysia. Even if Rexy disagree to continue his service to BAM, I think those 2 private badminton clubs in KL are anxiously waiting to offer him.

5. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Just hope our very own BAM would act correctly this time......with no mistake anymore!

6. KlasseE

KlasseE Regular Member

I think everyone like Rexy. LM n TKH asked for too much whereas Rexy just leave it to BAM to decide, definitely he will get more than his expectation.
    Just like Han Jian, helped to get the TC back (old story) and finally get the citizenship of Malaysia.

7. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    BAM have a history of botching every good thing in badminton in malaysia. i pray they will not do the same with rexy. because no matter what, indonesia is rexy's home. in malaysia there's a saying that "hujan emas di negara orang, hujan batu di negara sendiri, lebih baik hujan batu di negeri sendiri" which translate as gold rain overseas, stones rain in own country, better the stone rain in own country. that is a direct translation and i know it sounds weird but basically what it means, it is better for us even in hardship in our own country than all the riches in a foreign country for try as hard as we can, we will always be foreigner to their eyes. only in our own country do we fully belong. but that is old people's saying. the world nowadays are global. i just hope rexy is in the global group. heh he he he.

8. s1nn3r

s1nn3r Regular Member

Qs
    I think if Indonesia tried hard enough ($$$) and sincere in recruiting rexy back. He would definately go back... after all, it is Indonesia is his home. He still go back to compete in some local tournament... sentimental value always be some part of us as we are human!

I am working oversea becoz the $$$ is good but if msia can offer me the same $$$, I would be back also :p

9. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Hahaha, cute analogy! :D

PBSI should build a better barn and domesticate new good race-horses... who won't run away [even if the barn door is never closed]... :) Yes, yes, easier said than done...

I think PBSI should forget about Rexy for now. He is very highly compensated for his talents and energy by BAM. PBSI cannot offord him with PBSI's current state of finances... lagi kena 'kanker' [alias 'kantong-kering']...

10. KlasseE

KlasseE Regular Member

The bald (YKH) is a mart guy. TKH tried to play trick with him n finally find no room even in back up team. Don't worry! YKH will handle it not only for Rexy. He knows it is pretty close to get him a DATUK like Gunalan.

11. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Is Rexy from Jakarta????

Maybe he's from Bandung or Surabaya and would not feel really at home in Jakarta either.

12. KlasseE

KlasseE Regular Member

I agree $$$ is one of key factors but there are too many uncertainties waiting for him in INA. He doesn't need to take the risk n more important, he can harvest right away, with 2 talent pairs under his charge, and a harder task, to create more miracles in category of XD ;) ;) ;)

13. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student

REXY should not leave MALAYSIA.at least for now. malaysian's double need him.Koo-tan,zakry-
    fairuzizuan,choong ming-tek chai. etc.Rexy,don't leave them.malaysia needs u.;)

14. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Pls note that :

richard mainaiky is XD coach and Marleve manaiky is assiatnt to hermawan...may be rexy may come back to create Manaiky Dinasty.

:D :D :D

15. nick.h

nick.h Regular Member

student
    I think rexy SHOULD leave MAS and coach INA...hey, MAS pairs arent the only ones who desperately need some coaching...most MAS pairs are doing a lot better than alven/luluk, joko/hendra or even kido/hendra. Rexy IS an Indonesian therefore I think he SHOULD choose INA over MAS without considering how much money he would earn(kinda like Christian Hadinata, if Rexy is patriotic enough). INA needs new blood for coaching, thats why i think INA needs Rexy more than MAS. Many INA fans are now turning against Rexy and calling him a "traitor" which i think is quite appropriate...

16. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    I do not think it is FAIR to call Ricky" Traitor" as PBSI did not recruit him from the beginning...how about Atik jauhari who is coaching Boonsak? many INA players are becoming coaches, etc or players...I will not call them" Traitor"...

Remember that even INA government , mostly, does not take care their athelest when you are getting old.., etc...I can call INA government is Traitor also...even I am an Indonesian...

17. nick.h

nick.h Regular Member

student
    Well, as an Indonesian myself, i feel like Rexy is letting the INA fans down. Rexy, who is the former OG Champion whose success was entirely built from scratch by PBSI, should give something in return. If Christian is doing it, why isnt rexy? besides his contract finishes by the end of month...
    As for Atik Jauhari, i agree, many INA players are now coaching in overseas. However, at least Atik Jauhari had served PBSI and more importantly coached for PBSI. Moreover, i did not say all INA coaches who coach for other countries are traitors.
    And as for INA government, how is that related with players' performances? i agree, it is a bit unfair to the players since the government will not help financially after they retire, but i wouldnt call them traitors, why would i? this system has been on for ages and players from the '80s and early '90s have greatly anticipated it, most of them are doing well...

18. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    Thanks...I was in jakarta last month and talked to yayuk basuki who is satgas for badminton/tennis/table tennis/sepak takraw...The main problem here as taufik complained long time ago that KONI should discipline PBSI's offices, not just players...I do not know the exact internal problems as I heard from many unconfirmed sources so I can not make any conclusions..Put it this way...too many politics involved in Badminton which is very sad...INA, not even top power for badminton anymore...instead of takibg care the badmitnon, etc...more likely they are busy or distrated with other priorities...soemtimes...I think it is better to have LYB..at least everything is under control...even people hates him...well...he is the success of China's badmidton...we have to admit it...

I think Sutiyoso is too panicking as well...he , even, does not know how to play badminton,to understand players's burden, etc...all he does is just screaming ...want to have better image/result under his tenure...Thats all about EGO...listen to players...all players have ups and downs...

God bless INA's badminton..

19. nick.h

nick.h Regular Member

student
    Amen to that...haha yeah INA coaches doesnt have as much power/control over their players as LYB thats why we need Rexy. Rexy is very discipline and he is a good motivator, he will not hesitate to kick his players out of the training camp if the players are not training as hard as they should. And yes, INA players are distracted by other priorities ($$$). Sutiyoso is not the right person to run PBSI although it was the right move splitting alven/luluk and hiring Candra for sudirman cup. But i dont think Alven/Candra will work out very well.

20. s1nn3r

s1nn3r Regular Member

Qs
    Chaos is INA is no good for the progress of badminton...
    Let's hope their improve from there...
    I would like Msia to beat INA but a win because we got better quality not politics!

Cheeers