Broken rackets

Discussion in 'Broken Rackets' started by Byro-Nenium, Nov 29, 2000.

1. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I've been playing badminton for about 10 years now but only about 2 years competitively. I use a Yonex Ti-10 now and i've broken about 3 rackets before.

I have broken a Yonex Ti-10, (oh that one hurt)
    =Broke it when i hit a chair while practising.

Fleet Ti-99 = I can only say, those of you who love hard smashing, don't use this racket coz it breaks to easily. I broke this 1 after i took about 2 or 3 in between the legs shots. hehehe

Yonex Carbonex 8 = My old time favourite. Broke by itself. T-Joint died and head flew.... Damn,

anyone have any experiences they wanna share?

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Byro:

about the Ti-10, <i>ouch</i>!! that must hurt.

here is my list...

cab18:

i have quite a few encounters with broken rackets. when i was in secondary school back in the early 90s, i had a cab18 which i sold to a friend. a few days later, he came into my dorm room, put down his broken racket, turned out that his brother *sat* on it. i can still remember vividly the look of the racket face, and *his* face.

cab21:

broke two of these in 3 months, just spontaneously cracked. i never knew i was so powerful.

cab14:

broke this on the first day. racket clash with a friend. after that, i was so pissed i went and bought a cab 8dx (aluminium frame), and vows that i will only break other people's racket.

slim-10:

another friend's racket, clashed with mine. the slim-10 had no chance. felt very sorry coz it was his very first game with his brand new racket.

aerotus77:

spontaneously cracked. i think it has to do with the fact that i pulled more than 25lb on the fragile aerotus head.

iso900SS:

broke mine on the second day. very very sad. mid-air collision. i had my friend brought it over from singapore. one of the best racket i've used.

alpha intimidator/winex kevlar 999:

these are both very light (4U) racket which feels really great, but they have little chance of survival when clashed.

3. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    Sounds like i'm not the only 1 whose broken rackets. Kwun, thats gotta be bad to break so many.....

4. Pete

Pete Guest

Using a shite club racket one time, hit a smash and the head flew off! I'm doing a project at uni to reduce the chance of rackets breaking. Any other info on broken rackets+where and how they broke would be useful.
    Cheers

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    my broken rackets:

Widebody 30:
    broke two, both from racket clashes, one quick death, one slow death. I had one repaired but not used.

Aerotus 80:
    broke two. both by slow death of graphite fiber peeling off. One from racket clash which chip the shaft (which i later had repaired, and handle rebuilt) another at 12 O'clock position which i believe caused by poor string job done by someone else. That's got me start doing my own stringing.

ProAce:
    Bought a couple of cheap low end proace racket. what a mistake, the racket flew off the handle on my 2nd clear shot. The 2nd one broke near the handle too but 1.5 months later.

For the past 4 years, i haven't broke any rackets yet. My first badminton racket was a cab20, it is still in very good shape but now retired for sentimental value.

6. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    first broken racket

:(
    I'm so sad right now. Last night, my favorite racket got broken in a clash. It's the racket that started it all, I mean, my real passion in badminton. I even thought that there's magic in that racket because ever since I started using it, I got better and better. Now, it's broken.
    I feel like crying right now.
    :crying:

7. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    I was going to start a thread about this, because one of my hobby beside playing badminton is collecting my broken rackets. I'm probably going to take pictures of my broken racket collection.

Over the years, the rackets that I've broke consist of:

1 AT-9P, 1 AT-9T, So many AT-7, 3 AT-8 OFF, 1 AT-8 Def, 3 Ti-10, 1 MP-100, 1 MP-99, 1 Cab-30, 1 Cab-23, 2 Cab-20, 1 ISO-800, 1 Mizuno GP-8 and 1 Mizuno Mystic Power 500.

I think there's more, but can't remember on top of my head. Well I've started collecting my broken rackets for the past them 4-5 yrs I think. Some of them I threw out but I kept most of them. I'll post a pic of my broken racket collection tonight when I get home.

#7 bad_fanatic, Oct 3, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  8. hhwoot

hhwoot Regular Member

Graduate Student
    I'll trade you my broken rackets for unbroken ones. :)

9. bad_fanatic

Wouldn't that be a deal? But I only collect MY broken rackets.

10. HiddenPower

HiddenPower Regular Member

I have broken only 3 so far, all AT-700 (old version).
    2 from clash, 1 just broke during a game, but there was no clash --- may be a miss hit caused it..

11. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Well. I brought another AT-150. So far, it's the only racket that works for me. I tried MP-99, Wilson ncode, Prince triple threat, AT-250, AT-700, RSL 6800, RSL 6900, but these were nothing compared with how I played with AT-150. I don't know why, but it just gives me my full potential.

So far, I've only broken one racket in a clash. The other two got stolen.

12. noppy

noppy Regular Member

student
    iv broken four and iv only been playing 3 years :( 1 out of anger in the early days, 1 cheap one broke after i hit a shot and used it to kinda push me back to the middle of the court using the floor to push against, one broke just playing and one was a clash

13. bad_fanatic

Here's the pictures of my broken rackets.

It's actually missing alot of the rackets, like that AT-800 OFF, MP 100, etc... But these are most of it.

Attached Files:

14. jchan04

jchan04 Regular Member

what is the worst 'valid' way to break a racket.
    by valid i mean: not out of anger and not accidentals off the court.

i think clashing is the worst way.

15. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    How did you break sooooooooooooooo many rackets?:eek::eek::eek:

16. hhwoot

hhwoot Regular Member

Graduate Student
    Ancient Badminton proverb: "You must break 100 rackets to become Pro." :)

17. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

Man, that are a lot of broker rackets. Do you play single or double? Who is going to partner with you? :D:D:D

18. bad_fanatic

Well my brother has part in it too.

Playing with tension of 30+ lbs, we broken a few on a miss hit.

Where we're at, there's a number of beginners there and you guys know how it goes when you play doubles with them. You go up for a smash and they run back so instead of smashing the shuttle, you smash their racket. There's also times when the shuttle is hit perfectly in between you and your partner and it's either person shot. Well I hit the shuttle and my partner hit my racket.

Over the years I think the money that I spent on Badminton, I could actually cash a car. Appearal, shoes, socks, grips, shuttles, rackets, etc... But badminton is my passion so I spare no expense when it come to it.

19. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Are you sure these are all broken? Some of these seem like only need a new string.

20. bad_fanatic

I can take a picture of the crack for each of the racket, but you can say that it's the same racket.

But you're right, on a lot of those rackets, you can't tell that they're cracked/broken until you see it up close.