What rackets are best suited for women players?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by MKBG, Jan 19, 2002.

1. MKBG

MKBG Guest

I've been seriously playing badminton for only 2 1/2 months now, and I started off playing with a Wilson steel shaft racket which I find heavy. I am thinking of investing on a new racket, but I'm confused with the many opinions regarding the higher quality rackets like the Yonex Isometric Swing power series, Carbonex/Titanium/MP series, it really didn't clear my mind and what best racket would be suitable for my kind of play. I would really want some advice, because I would want to get a good buy.
    I usually play in doubles matches, I'm more offensive oriented, but I need to be quick for those tricky net drop shots because I usually defend near the net. My backhand is poor, and over all I need to continue with more training in order to perfect my form, although I have quite a strong arm for a beginner and have no problem with my lobs to the back side.

Please help -- I need some advice on what brand, model is suitable for me. I went window shopping and saw a shop selling original Yonex rackets on cheap discounted prices here in Manila (Ti 10, MP 77, Isometric SP 900, Carbonex 21 with prices ranging from US$ 50 - 60 )

2. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

As u are in The Learning mode presently i woudl advise u to buy a Cab 20Sp or Cab 21Sp!Once u go through Intenive training then u can shift to better rackets! So pls dont worry!

3. Valentino

Valentino Guest

wow ur lucky that these yonex rackets are so cheap over there!
    ur playing with an oval shaped head now so i suggest u stay on an oval head one for a while.

4. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    My apologies if I sound crass, but compared to our North America prices WOW, T-10, MP77, ISO 900 in the $50-60 range? If those are the prices and they are genuine articles, my wife really likes the T-10 but will also accept the Cab21. She has played with MP77 and the ISO900 but did not like them as much.

5. MKBG

MKBG Guest

Thanks for your replies. I have been searching the internet for the comparative prices of these Yonex rackets and was pretty surprised that the prices are US$100 at least. The problem is, there is no YONEX exclusive distributor here in Manila, and most probably the stocks in that department store were directly imported probably Taiwan. But it did have the holograph sticker, the whole body leatherette case and they come unstrung. The Ti 10 though is the long version, while the MP 77 is the 2U version (its written with the barcode sticker) which makes them longer and heavier right?

There are no lower models that I've seen around, mostly the sports shops sell Winex and Prince rackets which unbelievably are priced starting at US $70, which are more expensive than the YONEX rackets which I've seen. I was hoping to find the isometric ti swing power rackets because from what I've read in the reviews they help one swing faster, defend better because they are lighter, but sadly I haven't found one.

That's the problem in Manila, you get good bargains, but there are no wide selections of brands and models to choose from, anyway, I will try to scour the sporting shops again, and hopefully, I get to find lighter Yonex rackets.
    Good day!

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    What do you mean "shift to better racquets"?

These are good racquets in their own.

I'm using cab20. It's a classic.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

There isn't much distinction between racquets for ladies and for guys. Any one of those racquets you mentioned are adequate.

8. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

Mate! I did not want to disappoint her! It looked as if she was interested in the titanium rackets so much! That is why i said Shift to better rackets! That way i thought i will get To deliver my message and not discourage her from buying equipment that she wants!

I believe very strongly in The Old Symbol rackets and My fav are def the Iso 600Power!

So pls dont mistake me Mate! I always say to plp that if u cant play well with a Cab 20 then u can never play better with any other racket!

I hope u dont have any hard feelings!

9. DropShot

DropShot Guest

I have also searched sport shops around manila and have found out that most YONEX rackets being sold are not the real thing except at Planet Sports at the Power Plant. However, they are steeply priced than those I found at HK. When inspecting the rackets, look for the serial no. just above the handle before the shaft.

10. MKBG

MKBG Guest

Thanks for the tip, I saw the racket at Crossings Department Store, they were selling MP 77, ti 10, Carbonex 21 and ISO Swing Power 900, they had holograph stickers, but yes, I'll check the serial number as you suggested. But I wish the Yonex website has an online verification of serial nos, just like the Nokia websites, just to check if these Yonex rackets are for real.

My friend went to HK last December, and bought a Carbonex 9000 with neon yellow strings, yellow and red painted body, and it was something like 2,800 pesos, which is still expensive than the ones I saw, and his didn't even come with a holograph sticker. It's tricky how to determine a genuine from a fake, but its possible these are the real things but are the old inventory stocks, thus the lower prices because we had a lower peso-dollar exchange rate 2 years ago, and perhaps they haven't adjusted the prices since then.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

No offence at all. :)

Just curious why you said "better racquets" since you did say before cabs are pretty good.

12. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    <a href="http://www.spcplus.com/desktop/Keyboards.asp">Maybe something for you, Yogi?</a>

Your thoughts are as valid and valued as always, though... :)

13. DropShot

DropShot Guest

I doubt if they are just old inventory. One of my badminton buddies bought a Ti 10 here while I bought my Ti 10 from HKG. The weight distribution is very much different ie head heaviness of the original from HKG. And besides, the MP series came out maybe just a year ago when the exchange rate was worse.

14. MKBG

MKBG Guest

thanks for the info, for a beginner like me these subtle nuances and minute details will certainly escape me, even if you would show me the genuine and the fake one. anyway, I'm still scouring the malls for a reasonably priced racket which is lighter especially for a beginner like me, hey where in HK did you buy your racket? Monkok? and how much was the Ti10?

15. DropShot

DropShot Guest

I bought my Ti 10 at Wankee Sports in Mongkok for around PHP 6,000 excluding the strings.
    You can try rackets by Carlton. They're light and I think the quality of the rackets are good enough.
    BTW, where do you play?

16. MKBG

MKBG Guest

We play with some friends at celebrity sports usually after work. We would want to try out Crame but never got the chance yet, how about you?