Which coach is the most money worth?

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by benchan, May 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benchan

benchan Regular Member

Hey folks, which coach do you think is the most money worth? :D

2. My DY

My DY Regular Member

mmmm... how much is the most money?

3. benchan

benchan Regular Member

The amount of money that the coach charge vs their ability. Like $40 for Alfred from Flying Dragon. Personally I don't think he worth that much?????? Maybe $20 the max??

4. 100deep

100deep Regular Member

lawl i tink its that u cant afford 40$ per hour so u wanta find a coach at 20

5. benchan

benchan Regular Member

no no... I used to have private at Mandarin and it charge $40. But I just don't think Alfred worth that much at all. He's not that good and got kicked out by Mandarin anyways. LMFAO

6. chrishin

chrishin Regular Member

i saw alfred training today at flying dragon and he's much better then the other person who's 35. if you're loose then the coach will be loose also

7. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    I'm just wondering why this thread is all about Alfred Lam and bashing him for no real apparent reason.

Ben Chan, may I ask what qualifications would give you the right to judge if any coach is able and worth the money?

As far as I'm concerned, I've seen a humoungous bunch of really bad coaches and Alfred definitely isn't one of them. The two Indonesians at Lee's who nobody can understand, now that's a bad coach. They may have all the ability and knowledge in the world but I would question their ability to pass it onto their students.

Lastly, I would like to know what does Alfred getting kicked out of Mandarin have to do with him being a good coach or not? Maybe he just wasn't a friendly guy who didn't get along with the staff and management?

8. benchan

benchan Regular Member

This thread is not all about Alfred Lam, it's about all the other coaches as well. I am not the only one saying that Alfred is not a good coach. Other coaches had deals with him b4 are saying that as well. Alfred got kicked out of Mandarin was not because he wasn't a friendly guy or not getting along with staff and mangement. It was because he's not a ethical person. He had stole and trying to steal students from other coaches. Plus his teaching style or methous are questionable too.

The reason why this thread exit, it's becasue this could help people saving time to shop around for coach. I really want to help others and have no intention for attacking anyone specifily. If anyone want to say something about other coach (good or bad), please go ahead and very welcome.

9. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    I see. Well there's always two sides for every story. I was recently at a tournament of his, and I know a lot of his students. I'm pretty sure he's not a person that would steal students, otherwise Flying Dragon wouldn't hire him. I am not extremely familiar with his teaching style but I feel that he makes extremely efficient players out of all his students.

Does anybody know where Troy went? He was a really good coach worth every penny and pushed his students to the limit.

10. benchan

benchan Regular Member

Well, fishmilk I think you should re-asset what kind of person he is. Don't let his sweet talks gets to you. The history and facts said that he did stole students from other coaches. The reason why Flying Dragon hire him, i think it's because the owner don't know about that and he/she isn't in this badminton business before??? Well, if he's that ethical, why he held a tournament outside of flying dragon??? Another fact is, I haven't see his student went very far in a tournament. Hum.... I can't see his teaching style makes his student extremely efficient!!!

Troy is a very good coach indeed. That I can totally agree with you. I heard he's very hard to book now. Somebody told me that he saw Troy at Parkway??? If you can get in touch with him, tell me please. I want to take some lessons with him as well.

What do you think about Effindi and kookie?

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Stealing students is a very hard accusation.

The student has a right to change coaches if they so wish. If a student feels their coach is too expensive for them, they are always free to stop taking lessons. Nobody forces you to take on a certain coach. A coach may promise certain things but it is up to the student to decide wether this is right for them and to make choices.

12. benchan

benchan Regular Member

That's true that student has right to change coaches if they so wish, but other coach shouldn't have any influence on that. If he/she did that, it's not ethical. Stealing students is not an accusation. It's a fact.

13. 100deep

100deep Regular Member

U seem purty intent on burning this guy,,,

some coachs dont liek seeing other coaches do welll... r u a friend of a 'rival' coach that doesnt like him so u gotta trashtalk him?

14. chessymonkey

chessymonkey Regular Member

comp tech
    u r a customer who pay for the service U want, does it really matter who or what have influence on you that lead u to make that decision..? its your own judgement, i just don't see how u can STEAL students from other coaches if the student him/herself is happy with his/her original coaches..
    its a free market.. applying your theory, wouldn't Flyingdragon be "STEALING" customer from lees and mandarin as well?

15. richievuong

richievuong Regular Member

Student
    A lot of coaches nowadays don't really give a crap about their students...its all about money here in Canada. Coaches coming out of asia to Canada are trying to make a quick buck. Some lack the english capacity to communicate which is the worst. I'd probably say Jennifer would be the most money worth cause I learned the most from her, next would be Efendi...(of course I've only trained at Lees)

Either way, private lessons are way too expensive imo, $45+/hr is pretty damn steep...

16. dex

dex Regular Member

Student
    ya..Jennifer is definitely da best deal in coaching da basics! but if ur an intermediate level like michelle li, I don't think she can handle it physically coz of her overweight problem and age! that's why she has to hire import coaches to keep her club going!

17. samman

samman Regular Member

$45/hr sounds expensive but subtracting $20 for the court rental there isn’t much ($25/hr:() for someone who might process some sort of international medals. Consider a local car garage charges $90/hr to fix cars all they need is just 3 months training to be an auto mechanic.

18. richievuong

richievuong Regular Member

Student
    Efendi used to personally train Michelle Li; the import coaches now @ Lees I find are lazy. Unless Jennifer is around, they don't really feel the pressure to "coach well". Most days in 2 hr training sessions (this is the team btw) I don't get much advice, if any sometimes. And correct me if I'm wrong, some of the imported coaches aren't that good themselves either...

As for producing a national champion, if any coach trained a champ then they'd be filthy rich (who can blame them). To my memory, I think only Jennifer has trained national level competitors (ie. Michelle Li, Nathan Lee). Jennifer knows how to coach, but I also agree that she isn't exactly "fit enough" to engage in the physical training.

If I remember correctly Jennifer's rates are $60/ 45 mins...

I wonder what Mandarin/FD coaches are like...

19. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    In the business world, it's about create the influence in a legal way. No influence? Then, why bother to pay millions of $$$ for the tv commercials? :eek:

20. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    All of your statements are very opinionated without any real facts to back it up. First off I would like to know, what is YOUR personal relation with him. You talk like you know him very well and you definitely have a lot against him. I know you were training at Mandarin previously and heard rumours but since they kicked him out, their side of the story will always be fixed to make him sound like a bad person. I highly doubt you know the other end of the story.

Second of all, any employer unless he's an absolute idiot would definitely do a background check on you before hiring you. It is impossible for FD not to have known the history behind Alfred Lam and Mandarin. Why they still hired him? Take a wild guess.

Third of all, he was recently hired, a tournament isn't put together in a day. You have to obtain a permit for the gym probably months in advanced. Even so, a tournament is a tournament, what's the problem?

Fourth, you say you haven't seen his students go very far but how many tournaments and what level of tournaments do you attend? Off the top of my head, Leo Lai, got to the Provincial Jr. A's Finals. Pretty damn far to me. Add that to the fact that he barely trains even one day a week while most of the players at this level train 3 - 5 days, seems pretty efficient to me.

Either you give me some SOLID statements against Alfred and then never mention it again.

Or just never mention it again.

Let's get on with what the thread was SUPPOSED to be discussing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.