How to make your racket more head heavy without Destroying it

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Jason, Jan 20, 2002.

1. Jason

Jason Guest

yah... i wanna try to make my MP100 more head heavy... i cut off little peices of towel grip and taped it onto the rim where scratches have already occured (mind you know I've only used this racket for about 8 hrs) and i was wondering wut else i can do...

2. jackson

jackson Guest

who cares

3. Jason

Jason Guest

haha.... if ur not gonna help.. mite as well not put ne thing down~... it's not like people'll say ur mute if u leave this message alone u kno~ =P

4. ^shaz^

^shaz^ Regular Member

I heard u can get lead strips to stick on to top of racket in order to make it head heavier...dunno where from tho

5. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    I have seen players using lead tape stuck along the head of the racquet. Also have seen racquets with black electrical tape. One extreme was a racquet with wire wound around the head. I did not see any racquet head flying off as a result, but then I never stuck around too long playing with those guys who use those racquets. (oo)

6. jon

jon Guest

its actually quite dangerous to use wires...or even lead... as an additive...
    I honestly dont suggest adding things to your racquet to make it heavier...

Mainly because of the fact that its dangerous... Also, I think you should consider just buying a heavier racquet to train with...

However if you feel that your mp100 isn't head heavy enough, then i'd just suggest you better start looking for a new racquet...

7. Jason

Jason Guest

lol... thx... i think the lead is a bit excessive ^^"

8. Jason

Jason Guest

i do have a heavier racket that i train with... but just the fact that it's a different feeling than the MP100.... cuz the MP100's simply so much lighter... so... yah... i guess i'll have to get used to the MP100 with the way it is... thx

9. YY Fan

YY Fan Regular Member

Sales
    Dear Jason,

There are acutally two ways to make your MP100 more head heavier :

1. Use lead strap stuck on the 3 and 9 o'clock position of your MP100.
    Actually, there is no such lead strap for badminton racket, instead, this lead strap is mainly used in tennis rackets. However, I think it is also applicable to badminton rackets.

2. Reduce the size of your grip, if possible. You can peer off the original synthetic grip and apply a thinner grip or towelling trip on it. In this way, the balance of the racket, I mean the weight will then slightly shift from the handle towards the head.

10. jeetz_2

jeetz_2 Guest

I often make my racquets more head heavy in a very ingenious way! I go to the local pond and find a fairly heavy rock. Then I get some black string...and well why dont you see for yourselves.
    http://www.engr.uvic.ca/~jpanesar/racquet.jpg

11. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    That deserves a standing ovation!

:D :D :D

12. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    But seriously though, 2-3 grams of lead tape is the way to go.

13. Jason

Jason Guest

1. lead straps.. isn't that dangerous?... wut if it falls off??

2. I alreadi changed the grip on it to a much lighter one... but still.. i think i like the weight distribution when it's like a Ti7... a lot more head heavy... any more bright ideas? :)

14. Jason

Jason Guest

15. Jason

Jason Guest

hmmm... is this lead tape thing removable withought killing the frame?... and if it is... any idea where to get this thing?

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i am still chuckling. thanks jeetz_2 for the awesome humor and artistic skills!

:) :) :)

17. jeetz_2

jeetz_2 Guest

Im glad you all got a good chuckle out of that! :)

18. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    The lead tape is removable. You find it in tennis shops or in stringing shops. It usually come in 3 gram strips, which are too wide for a badminton frame. You need to slice the strip in three, length-wise, so that you get long narrow 1 gram pieces. These will fit neatly to the inside of your frame. Placement is a question of taste, but I'd suggest you try with 1+1 gram at 12 o'clock. If you feel you need more, try adding 1+1 at 3 and 9 o'clock. If you're a hard hitter I wouldn't suggest you add more than 4 g overall, though. You could risk breaking the frame. And if you have a 3U racquet then you should perhaps be even more careful.

19. Jason

Jason Guest

i see... thanks a million! ^^

20. kgen4

kgen4 Regular Member

head wight??

Hi everyone, first time post, so here goes, I currently have a isometric vf96long (yes, ive read the reviews, so please don't flame me, ive even put a review of it), and after playing with it for a year, and just recently testing out a number of new racquets, i realized that my racquet was severly underpowered, especially when clearing from the back.

My question is: does anyone know/have an idea on how to make the head a little heavier,(preferrebly without making the racquet look too wierd).

The raquet really isn't that bad, and seeing as to how i don't have enough for a new raquet, im hoping this could solve my problems for the time being.

Thanks again~