Bad string work from an online badminton shop

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by nibaxiang, May 18, 2007.

1. nibaxiang

nibaxiang Regular Member

@Muddy_Elephant
    Well, for the sake of my rackets, I cut the string of my two Cab 30MS tonight. :(

Here is the story. I bought 3 Cab 30MS early this year from an online shop in California. Overall, the service was good and rackets are great. The other day, the string snapped on one of the rackets. No big deal, I played with another racket since. Until tonight, I found the string work is BAD. Why? The racket frame shape was changed after the string work. The frames became narrow and the rackets were longer by 3mm on both rackets with string. And they are back to normal now :D, since I cut the string as mentioned in the beginning of my post.

As a professional engineer, I can tell the stress on the 12 clock of the frame will be very high in this case. Without much choices, I have to do the right thing. :)

I do have a NS9KX at hand, bought and strung at BBE in Beijing last year, which has the exact length as on spec (so as my Cab 30MSs now :p). Good work, BBE!!

Conclusion: I think either the shop got a bad string machine or the fellow did the work has a bad stringing habit, which leads to the change of racket frame shape. (Luckily, I did NOT ask for high tension on them.) Probably, we need to be very careful when deal with the online shops.

What do you think, BC string experts?

Thank for all inputs on this, and have a good day. :)

#1 nibaxiang, May 18, 2007
    Last edited: May 18, 2007
  2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    do you mean 3mm or 3cm?

3mm is negligible. such a small deformation isn't of a matter of concern at all.

3cm on the other hand, is quite major.

3. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    1 to mm isn't much elongation. Some badders actually prefer slightly longer and narrower frame when strung.

But I don't think a baddie racquet can take 3 cm of extra length :D.​

4. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    yea 3mm isn't much to worry enough about, 3cm... Houston we have problems. :eek:

5. nibaxiang

nibaxiang Regular Member

@Muddy_Elephant
    Thanks for the replies, I am feeling really bad now :D (my poor string... I'd love to have BG80 on them anyway, instead of the current BG65ti).

Seems pure science doesn't work here. :p However, is it a good practice to make an oval even oval? I would rather they keep the original shape or fatter to have a bigger sweetspot.

6. jerby

jerby Regular Member

I hate to say it, but that's the famous placebo affect.
    you bought your rackets half a year ago, and everything was fine...but now you measured them and "Oh My god they're warped!" They're fine, 3mm shorter isn't really noticable when you play...

kinda reminds me of the first D500 I strung. I thought they were originally 675mm (they're 670mm...) and after stringing "No F'ing way...they 669mm! I gotta cut them!" And I swore I could have seen the racket was majorly distorted (waay to square frame, way to rectangluar)

after about 10mins of madness (;)) I got a brand-new D500 to lay alongside "I'll be darned..."

#6 jerby, May 19, 2007
    Last edited: May 19, 2007
  7. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

In perfect world, every string job will come out the same and string bed will be perfectly even and head shape exactly same every time. However, even on a Yonex badminton only machine, you still get minor shape change because so many factors. The oval racquet can take stress a lot better than iso racquet. If the length change more than 4 mm (on an oval), then I will worry. Other wise, enjoy the wonderful game of badminton...

8. nibaxiang

nibaxiang Regular Member

@Muddy_Elephant
    An update on this. Just got my 2 Cab30MS back from the pro-shop. Very nice work, I would say. Shape-wise, they are identical to the other un-strung Cab30MS. BTW, the fellow did the job is Yonex certified and the work was probably done on Babolat professional system (They got two stringing machines in the shop, but I always saw him working on the Babolat.).