Yonex selection chart

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Winex West Can, Jan 20, 2002.

1. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    On the Yonex Japan site, they have a chart showing all their racquet models spread over four quardants with the Cab20L in the top right corner. Can anyone tell me what the quardant represents? I would include the chart here but don't know how to include a graphic witht the posting.

The chart can be found here http://www.yonex.co.jp/badminton/feature/mp/style.html

2. Steplantis

Steplantis Regular Member

Broadcast Engineer
    Hey Peter,

The chart explanation is as follows:

The top of the y-axis reads as " smash/attacking style" and the bottom of that axis reads as " receive/defensive style". On the x-axis the far right reads as " singles-orientated " and the far left side as " doubles-orientated ".
    Hope this helps!

3. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Steplantis,
    Thank you. That's great. So what they are saying is that if you are a singles player with an attacking style, the Cab20L is probably the racquet for you.

Interesting and the normal Cab20 is right in the center which basically explains why it has been one of the best all round racquet since its introduction.

4. Jason

Jason Guest

There's also a string chart

for anyone that's interested....

http://www.yonex.co.jp/badminton/feature/pg/style.html

5. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    So what do the axis translate to in this chart, then?

6. Jason

Jason Guest

here's wut the axis mean

left = Durability concern
    right = Bounce concern
    top = Hard Hitter
    bottom = Control

7. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

Like this...

Attached Files:

WPL1 likes this.
  8. eagle84

eagle84 Regular Member

Student
  9. mlvezina

mlvezina Regular Member

Note: The X axis labels are mixed up in the image posted by bigredlemon. They should state "doubles" on the left and "singles" on the right.

Non-Japanese speakers can translate the page showing the racket and string tables by submitting its url (http://www.yonex.co.jp/badminton/feature/mp/style.html) to babelfish (http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/tr).

Note: Text in images is not translated. The 5 string names that remain in Japanese are (from top to bottom): BG65-t1, BG75-t1, BG-88t1, BG-68t1, CBG-100.

Interestingly, Yonex recommends using either BG75-t1 (attack) or BG88-t1 (control) with the MP-50s, MP-70s, and MP-80s. Both strings are close to the middle of the attack/control axis.

OTOH, Yonex recommends using either BG65-t1 (attack) or BG68-t1 (control) with the MP-90s and MP-100s. Both strings are near the extremes of the attack/control axis. Judging from the chart, the CBG-100 sounds like a better choice over BG68-t1 as it provides somewhat better control and durability...

Cheers,

Mike

10. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

11. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    G'day,

So what does the size of the circle mean? For example, MP 70/77 and MP80/88 has a bigger circle than MP90/99, Ti-10 etc.?

Anyone know?

12. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    Hmmmm....

BG68Ti being a control oriented string?? According to back of the string's package it is more of a power bouncy string and I tend to agree with it. BG80 has more control than BG68Ti in my opinion.....

13. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Means they are flexible (Not as in shaft flexible) and cover more area so it could be used in both singles or doubles etc. If you only had one small dot it would be made specifically for that and likely not anything else and if you had a huge circle it would be sort of an all around racquet.

#13 Yodums, Feb 19, 2003
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2003
  14. mlvezina

mlvezina Regular Member

The string chart does provide surprising results indeed. BG68-ti is positioned much closer to the "control" end of the Y axis than BG88-t1. In fact, it's almost as "control oriented" as CBG-100 while being apparently more repulsive but less durable.

The Yonex page describing BG68-ti also states that it is meant for control players !!(http://www.yonex.co.jp/badminton/products/string/bg68t.html).

Makes one wonder how this product positioning was derived by Yonex :confused:

Cheers,

Mike

15. prophet

prophet Regular Member

teacher
    Was doing a search looking for this Yonex selection chart to print out for a friend who wanted to purchase a Yonex racquet, and thought it deserved a bump for some of our newbie members out there still wondering which Yonex racquet to get and how they are compared.

For anyone in the know, does Yonex have an updated version of this chart that includes the armortec series? It is not listed when I checked the link.

http://www.yonex.co.jp/badminton/feature/mp/style.html

#15 prophet, Jun 13, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2004
  16. Zax

Zax Regular Member

badminton promotor :)
    It's a good explanation of how the charts can be interpreted.. but how are they made??

Being more or less specific is a rather vague criterium. How do they measure this exactly? What are the scientific criteria for making such a chart? How to determine to 'location' of the elipse on the chart and how to determine its size??

If we have a scientific method of determining it, it would be interesting to make big chart that shows properties for all brands of rackets. I would like to see how the Woven series and the Yonex series compare for example..

17. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

Why no chart on the North American site? They don't care enough about Cdns do they? :mad: I would have liked to know where MP22,24,30,33,44 would be placed. I could search but..
    nah..:rolleyes: I already bought a BK racket :)

18. Nget Khar

Nget Khar Regular Member

IT
    Well, there is: http://www.yonex-th.com/b_racket.php you will see a different version.

Attached Files:

19. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

Thx for the info :)

Interesting how I use my Cab 7000 to smash more than receive.

But then..if I bought MP33 or AT500, I'd be using it for singles. So don't mind my logic ;)

20. Kyperal

Kyperal New Member

Student