98's & 65's

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by Slicedbanana07, May 19, 2007.

1. Slicedbanana07

Slicedbanana07 Regular Member

Hello People,

I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to test out both shoes. I need to replace my 98's with a new shoe that looks relatively the same, with the same or better performance.

The 65R looks really good and possibly the ideal replacement, so I was wondering if anybody has any views on the 65R's.

The shape looks very similar, so I'd presume that it has a similar fitting to the 98's, which is good, but anymore information on these babys would really help.

If all goes well, I will get a pair from shuttle-house as they seem to be the only website I understand that sells them.

Cheers.

2. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

i have a couple 65r's on order from shuttlehouse, but i've been put on hold for two months now, waiting for stock.
    i also have the notion of using the 65r as a replacement for the 98.
    hopefully shuttlehouse will hurry along with things, and i can test them out.

3. Slicedbanana07

Whoa, put on hold for 2 months! I'd thought that since it was based in Japan, they would have no problem with getting them as the 65's are only released in JP.

4. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    probably not much stock for those since they're not as popular as the new SHBs. I really loved the original 65s... they gave me the best feeling.

#4 cappy75, May 19, 2007
    Last edited: May 19, 2007
  5. Slicedbanana07

I just read that the 65R's are defective, something about weak adhesive around the outsole, may cause serious injury, and that all shoes should be returned.

Yonex japan website states that the batches SH0609、SH0610、SH0611、SH0612、SH0701 are all defective and that those who have bought it should contact seller for possible return and refund.

Anymore news on this would be great, preferably someone who speaks japanese :D

Chickenpoodle, you think this is the reason why you've waited so long?

6. chickenpoodle

yeah, i mentioned something about the 65r's and the defective outsole adhesive earlier in a thread somewhere.

that is exactly why i think i've been waiting for so long. :)

in their horrendously broken english, they said i have to wait till either the end of next month (which was may, based on when i ordered them), so i should be getting them within a month, or worst case, end of june...
    but hopefully they meant may.

i'm very much considering forgetting about the 65r's and grabbing a pair of 100's, or even another pair of 98's.

and heres where i initially posted the recall notice!
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36910

7. chickenpoodle

well, the 65r's i ordered from shuttlehouse finally came in. one for me, one for a friend. the 99low's i ordered from iooho on ebay also came in the day earlier too. as you can see in the pictures, i already played around with the two laces that came with the shoe!

so if all goes well in the next little bit, i'll get a chance to try them and hopefully come up with a comprehensible comparison between the 98's, 99low's, the 65r's.

Attached Files:

8. Scott Kam

Scott Kam Regular Member

Chickenpoodle,

Waiting for your review on 65R :)

9. Slicedbanana07

Hey chickenpoodle,

Your 65R, is that part of a new batch free from defects? Cos I got an email from shuttle house saying that the 65R won't be launched until next year! Seeing as how it was, I decided to cancel my order...

If you can confrim that its not a defective batch, I may go and order a pair...

10. chickenpoodle

i tried the 65R's last night in a 2 hour session, not nearly long enough to draw any real conclusions.

initial impressions however, its feels a lot more stable and rigid than the 98's.
    the heel construction and ankle area feels more rigid upon movement.

this is pretty obvious right from the get-go, just by feeling and pushing on the materials before you even throw them on. and yes, this was done between brand new pairs of 65R's and 98's.

while playing, the much more rigidity compared to the 98's took a bit of time to get used to, but i liked the feeling it gave me. the shoes are also a lot more snug compared to the 98's. this is probably due to the extra leather panels on the side, where the 98's were all mesh. the leather is softer on the 98's too. if the 98's felt like a pair of socks, the 65R's would be very thick socks. very similar feelings, just quite a bit more rigid all around.

the sole yielded better traction compared to the 98's. maybe this is because of the new design with the honey comb shapes, but who knows. i wasn't totally comfortable with the increased stickiness, but thats probably because i've used the 98's for the last two years, and only used the 65R for two hours.

cushioning... well, i have always been pretty light on my feet, and being a relatively light weight guy, i never had a problem with cushioning or shock absorption of any kind. theres nothing to complain about here.

i'll probably need back to back sessions with the 65R and 98's to comment more, especially if i were to say if the 65R were good as a replacement or otherwise for the 98's... but overall, i like them. i hope i'll like them more once i've finally broken them in.

the one i have is batch SH 0704.
    you should be good to go for your order! :)

Attached Files:

#10 chickenpoodle, Jun 6, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2007
  11. Slicedbanana07

Brilliant, thanks for that chickenpoodle.

One more thing, when you said that they feel more snug, do you recommend ordering half a size up or does that not pose much of a problem? I am using size 28cm fro Yonex 98's, which are a good fit. Is 28.5 recommendable or is 28cm for 65R just right?

12. chickenpoodle

i can't say either way for now..... the extra snug feeling wans't a real problem, but as i said earlier, i'm thinking its because of the extra material.

if thats the case, i hope it'll break in over time and loosen up. i'll probalby be wearing the 65R's for the next few times i play to let that happen.

the blue 99's already feel soft, being the same material as the 99LTD's, so i won't have to try those until later.

so if you're willing to wait a week, i can tell you more convincingly (to yourself and myself!) whether or not you should move up half a centimeter.

13. Slicedbanana07

Alright, thanks for the info, much appreciated.

14. chickenpoodle

i've been super busy in the last week, so i haven't got a chance to really get much more done with the shoes, however i can tell you that you can use the same size as you have for the 98's. the 65R is loosening up in the forefoot areas!

15. wirre

wirre Regular Member

I'm intending to order from iooho, how were your experience dealing with them?

TIA

16. chickenpoodle

i first asked her about the 65R's months ago.
    she replied telling me some were in stock, but not in my size. if i wished, she could order some in.
    i discovered some batches of 65R were defective so i decided against ordering from her incase her's contained defective shoes.

a few weeks back, i ordered a pair of 98MX and 99LO's.
    her emails were fast and prompt, very easy to deal with.
    packaging wasn't that great, just the greenish waterproof stuff wrapped around the shoe boxes, but whatever, they've got thick cardboard from the shoe boxes around them, so its fine.
    she forgot something in the first order, and i let her know via email and she immediately shipped it out the next day without question.

her shipping is fast. 8-9 business days from hongkong to canada.

overall, one of the best transactions i've had, and i'd order from her again if i needed to.

17. Scott Kam

Scott Kam Regular Member

Loosening-up in the forefoot area is a nightmare for me. So does the shoes get looser and looser or stop loosening at one point?

18. chickenpoodle

shoes are leather and its guarenteed that they will stretch to some extent with some use. the shoes won't be getting looser and looser. at least i've never had any shoes that did that!