Thumb press for backhand clear

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by killersmash, May 20, 2007.

1. killersmash

killersmash Regular Member

i am having trouble doing the backhand clear and my coach " JoJo " ( nickname ) said it is my grip problem....he recommended the thumb press grip... i tried it and realized that i must keep a distance from the shuttle to hit it spot on... can anyone teach me how to do it the right way??:D

2. xt6666

xt6666 Regular Member

Badminton Idol
    What do you mean with: "I must keep a distance from the shuttle"?

And what do you mean with: "hit it spot on"?

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

...and what do you mean by "thumb press grip"?

4. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

i think to keep distance from the shuttle means he can't be hitting the backhand stroke close to his body.
    i think to hit it spot on, is to hit it on the sweetspot.
    and the thumb press grip might be in reference to the common backhand grip of the thumb being on the largest bevel of the grip?

this all makes sense though, as we all know this grip restricts mechanics of the wrist and arm, rendering this use of grip for backhand clears to be useless when we find the shuttle close to ourselves. it only works when its still infront of us. but when the shuttle is close to our side, or worse, behind us, we rely on the more universal grip to get us out of trouble, allowing us to use supination and fingers to aid in production of power.

i'm still at a loss however, as to what :D means.

5. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    all this guessing would not be beneficial. some pictures would be of much help dont you think. i might not be able to help out much since my skills are not that good either but i am looking forward to learn here. :D

6. Tsumaranai

Tsumaranai Regular Member

Student
    Hey, why're you using the smiley? Do you know what it means?

7. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I always use the thumb-press grip when the shuttle is in front of me - I think this is what ks means. If the shuttle passes the plane of your body, the thumb-press if impossible to use (the pan handle is the only way to hit on the backhand once the bird is behind you).

With regard to backhand clears, don't wait for the shuttle to come to you - hit it when it is about 2 feet in front of you. At the moment of impact, snap the wrist and point the palm upwards, and do a snap hip twist so that your back is to the net.

Have a look at http://www.metacafe.com/watch/487896/learn_backhand_clear_in_badminton/.

8. Chire

Chire Regular Member

There are times you have to hit the shuttle behind you with your backhand. I have to use this kind of backhand much more often than the one in which the shuttle is not behind you (as you can take most of the higher shots to your backhand corner with your forehand).

Anyway, I'd say this "thumb grip" is actually not so correct. Proper backhand clear/smash is executed with fingers too, rolling the grip, well not only with thumb anyway. There are loads of threads concerning this action/motion on these forums.

I don't think either of those players (Nathan Robertson and Gail Emms?) executed good backhand clears. The woman's backhand clear motion was kinda sharp but the technique looked terrible :(. Well doubles players don't need backhand clears that often anyway, there's no need for them to spend so much time training it.

9. xt6666

xt6666 Regular Member

Badminton Idol
    No, It was Nathan Robertson and TRACY HALLAM!

Can't believe you think that Tracy Hallam is Gail Emms! *lol*

Back to topic:
    I think Tracy's backhand technique really is not very good
    Nathan's technique is much better I think.

10. Chire

Chire Regular Member

Heh that's why I had a question mark there, plus the video wasn't too chrystal clear quality one.

Meh, I don't even care whoever the heck she is, her backhand technique sucked :rolleyes:. I don't think Nathan Robertson has so good one either, he took all the shots in front of his body, not behind, and didn't use his fingers at all (can't tell for sure of that video). It becomes much much more difficult when you're taking it late.

To learn the proper backhand clear technique, I'd advise to watch that of Chen Hong's, or well Taufik Hidayat's too. Both of the above have exceptionally good backhand clear technique, even on the pro-circuit.

11. xt6666

xt6666 Regular Member

Badminton Idol
    The problem with Chen Hongs backhand is, that his ellbow is already very high at the beginning of his stroke... So he needs more strength...

Of course HE has the strength... but normal players have problem with that technique.

So I would recommend TH's backhand instead of CH's...

12. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

You people are arrogant beyond belief.

You watch a few videos and think you can pass judgement on a world-class women's singles player?

Looking at Tracey's backhand with the eyes of a coach (not just an armchair critic), I would say her technique is excellent. Of course, I would expect nothing less from a player of her calibre.

Of course, you can reply that Taufik's backhand is better, so ya boo sucks to me. Good for you -- you've learned enough badminton to make you a wannabe Taufik. Tracey, on the other hand, has learned enough badminton to be a Commonwealth Champion.

Studying Taufik's backhand instead of Tracey's will make absolutely no difference to your own backhand. Both players possess superb technique, and you don't. That's why they are pros, and you're not.

Also, please note that the video is copyrighted material published by Badminton England. I will be notifying them of the link so they can consider taking action against the website.

** Back on topic **

The grip is crucial. We still don't know what this "thumb press" grip is.

You should not use the same grip for backhand clears as you do for backhand serves. For clears, the grip should be more like the "forehand" grip. You should still use the thumb, keeping it straight throughout the stroke.

#12 Gollum, May 21, 2007
    Last edited: May 21, 2007
  13. chriz

chriz Regular Member

Student
    the coach will probably teach you hwo to use back hand, if you cant do back hand clear, its probably due to your muscle, you might want to consider working on your back hand wrist muscles

14. fivestars

fivestars Regular Member

I would say that the backhand clear is the most difficult among all backhand shots, comparable to the back court backhand smash. Are you good at backhand drives, push and drops? If not, you might want to start with those first. Have you seen vids of Zhao JianHua teaching backhand? He said to start with shorter half-court and not back-court to back-court clears. I think Zhao's backhand is among the best compared to most of the coaches that has instructional vids. His backhand has a short movement without excess over swing. The sound is very crisp and IMO it even sound better than a smash.

15. 2NDround

2NDround Regular Member

16. xt6666

xt6666 Regular Member

Badminton Idol
    @Gollum:

Obviously her technique is not perfect... (It's hard for me to find the right special terms, because I only know them in "german"... - but in "terms" of the "dorsal flection?!?!?", I think, that for example Nathan's technique is better than Tracy's... And also in 1 or 2 other points I think it could be better...)
    But it works for her...

Nobody says, that she is NOT a world class player, BUT:

If someone wants to learn the right way of hitting a backhand, what's wrong when "we" say: better watch TH or Zhang Ning or someone else?!

And I have the right to say that, even when I'm not a pro...
    You don't have to play better then someone else, to see that he is doing something "wrong"

Otherwise nobody could coach the world number 1...
    Only only the number 1 could coach the world number 2...

17. xt6666

xt6666 Regular Member

Badminton Idol
    BTW: I hope that the next videos from Lee Jae Bok will be backhand clear or backhand Drop/Smash...

I still have 8 Pounds in my account on ibbs.tv...
    Hope he will post new videos in 2-3 months...

18. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

You miss my point.

Yvette Yun Luo has the right to criticise Tracey's technique. Why? Because Yvette is her coach.

Can Yvette beat Tracey in a game? I very much doubt it. But Yvette has experience of playing and coaching at the top level of badminton.

I find it distasteful when an amateur player criticises a professional's technique. What makes you think you know enough? Are you coaching international players? Are you even a qualified coach?

Do you really think that reading stuff on Badminton Central makes you an expert? Do you really think you could teach Tracey Hallam a better backhand?

You also seem to imply that an amateur player will learn a better backhand if he watches Taufik than if he watches Tracey. This is not true, because his skills will be so far below their skills that it makes no difference.

Idolising Taufik does not help your backhand. It just helps your fantasy backhand. Get some coaching and start practising. Watching the pros can be useful, but they all have great technique that you can aspire to copy.

If you think, "my backhand is more like Taufik's than like Tracey's", then you have delusions of grandeur. The same goes for players who say, "my style of play is like Chen Hong". Rubbish: your style of play is nothing like any professional player.

**Edit**

Having said that, I see from your profile that your standard of play is "World Class". In that case, you are perfectly qualified to make such judgements. I do apologise ;)

#18 Gollum, May 22, 2007
    Last edited: May 22, 2007
  19. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Yeah I've been using a terrible backhand technique for years by using the same grip for my back court backhand shots as I used for my backhand serves (with my thumb down the back of the racquet). It annoys me that no one ever mentioned it. I'd been practicing the wrong technique for a long time thanks to a misunderstanding at training once. I wondered why all my shots were very weak and I would sometimes hurt my wrist while performing the shot. I should really have asked, and I wish I had now.

I use the correct technique now (I hope I do anyway :p), and it was all because of a little problem with my grip! It's so much easier now and it just goes to show you should never neglect the basics.

Oh and Taufik's backhand does look more classy. But of course I'm in no position to judge who's technique is better. Watching the pros always helps though! Often when I go to a tournament, I spend a lot of time watching the better players, and without realising it at first, when I get on court I often start to try and imitate their technique. It's really helpful.

#19 phaarix, May 22, 2007
    Last edited: May 22, 2007
  20. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I think Taufik almost certainly has a better backhand than Tracey Hallam or Nathan Robertson. He may have the best backhand in the world.

But I would never say that Tracey's backhand technique sucked :rolleyes: