Hitting the shuttle in front of you in order to see the opponent

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by xpromache, May 21, 2007.

1. xpromache

xpromache New Member

Hello,

In one of the videos at www.ibbs.tv it is said that one argument for hitting the shuttle in front of you is to be able to see the oponent at the same time as the shuttle. I've never thought of this but it makes a lot of sense.
    After seeing this video, I tried focusing on this while playing and I've observed that it is actually impossible for me to see the oponent while doing a drop from the back of the court. The shuttle is rather above me so I can see the ceiling but not the opponent. This made me a few times send the shuttle exactly where my oponent was (because he doesn't always go back to the center).
    Can some more advance players tell me if they are able be able to see the position of their opponents even when they drop or smash from the back?

Thanks,
    nicolae

2. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    You need to move further back on the lift and contact the shuttle about 45 degrees forward above you. Even clearing is possible. Most people are comfortable hitting the shuttle directly above them because it's nearer, but their line of vision will be predominantly away from the opponents' positions when they do that.

When you hit too late, you hit blind.

#2 cappy75, May 21, 2007
    Last edited: May 21, 2007
  3. pedro22

pedro22 Regular Member

Try this - stand at the back court, hold your racquet arm about 45 degrees and sight down your arm. You will notice that you can actually see a little of the opposite court. If you do the same with your arm angled at 90 or close to 90 degrees, all you'll see is sky.