User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ...

Lol, thx for referring my club over your's yonexfanatic. But for sure, the RG's courts are the best in edmonton, in fact, I'd prefer them to the Glencoe Club's courts in calgary, tho they have one more court. Everything is excellent there, lol besides temperature during the summer, and the ceiling is quite definitely higher than the Derrick Club's.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Originally posted by cappy75
    Hmm... yeah, I had a look at Derrick Club's courts and the ceiling seems abit too low for my taste. You even get lots of lost birdie on top of the low hanging lights. How's the lighting there?
    you guys are so spoiled. i play regularly in a gym in which the ceiling is only 19 feet high! high clears are unheard of in that gym. but it does forces you to be constantly be aware of how high to hit the birdie. very hard to be a defensive player in that gym.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by kwun
    you guys are so spoiled. i play regularly in a gym in which the ceiling is only 19 feet high! high clears are unheard of in that gym. but it does forces you to be constantly be aware of how high to hit the birdie. very hard to be a defensive player in that gym.
    Sry, I guess this reply isn't too on topic,

Kwun, it's not that bad actually, playing in a gym with a low ceiling. I actually don't mind at all playing at places with low ceilings, as long as it's not insanely low. Reason is, it helps your game in which it forces you to play a more fast, aggressive game.

If you do end up playing in a gym wiht quite a high ceiling, I would think you'd have some sort of advantage. You'd be making quicker shots (fast lower clears, etc)..and if you did get in trouble, you'd have the high ceiling to make the recovery shot now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ...

But at the same time as one would be better at the lower, more offensive fast shots, an opponents high clear, which one would not be used to because of training under a low ceiling, could throw the timing off, causing one to misshit the bird, or even miss it all together. This depends mostly on skill level tho, but it's a common problem in many players training in low ceiling gyms.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha, i dunno about that.. ...at a certain level, i would think that returning clears is not a problem..not even if they're very high. Playing at the glenora, they have quite a high ceiling..but who ever hits that high anyways?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are indeed fortunate to have some variety in our badminton facilities. Thanks to previous municipal administrations' emphasis on lifestyle and recreation in our fair city, we have a decent number of varied facilities for badminton and other sports. It's just that some of the better ones are either in private recreational clubs (only one that is exclusively for badminton) or built by post secondary institutions. Can't play there unless you're a club member or a student/staff of said post secondary institutions. Majority of the clubs that accept drop-ins in our city plays in highschool gyms. We have many badminton clubs, yet I have the impression that we are slowly outgrowing present facilities.

Even with fast-pacing offensive doubles, I would like to have the option of occasional high clears. You'll be surprised how even some experienced players would misjudge the timing of their shots.

With regards to Derrick club, I was just as concerned about surface and lighting as height of the ceiling. I felt claustrophobic just watching the tournament being played in Derrick club. Have yet to play there, but I don't think that I would miss it even if I did.

Originally posted by kwun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

If the club gets build up, I'd liek to sign up as student!

I've been looking around for badminton lessons for quite awhile. My mom's not supporting me on Derrick club cuz the fee's abt 1500/per year. Other badminton classes are either too full or too far. And as long as the price for this club isn't too high. I'd be more then happy to join.

Plllllllzzzzzzzzz succeed in the club. I'm dying for badminton lessons!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default new place to play

Hi
    this is a good idea. I'm interested in joining. I need to find people to play with since i'm not very good right now. I played before, and i have pretty good endurance but I'm not that skilled.. yet.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Phungurl1,

It's gonna be a tall order to find a decent club around Edmonton. Most clubs operate out of school gyms. Depending on where you live, I could recommend a club to you. You could also google Edmonton District Badminton Association for more info. The clubs under that organization use nylon shuttles and usually has no coaching program for adults, but they usually have room for new members.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be interested in joining a new club in Edmonton.

Would the club be more adult-oriented or all around? I'm a 14 year-old that is about a high-intermediate player that would like to get a lot more competitive.

As long as the price isn't outrageous, I wouldn't mind paying over $150 to be part of a club. I'm not sure what my limit is, but I know I could pay that amount if necessary.

School gyms are much cheaper to rent out, some of them renting them out for free.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need to find a place to play during the July-August period. Can't afford to join the expensive clubs like Glenora.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

heres the link for the EDBA club listing... http://www.compusmart.ab.ca/edba/clubs.htm

give the contacts a call and ask about drop-in information during this period.
    after you give them a few tries and find a place you like, you can ask about joining, right?

keep in mind that some of the scheduling will be different now due to summer hours...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi all, im attending U of A next year and i was hoping on meeting some new people for dropins around the University...so if your interested, please give me a pm. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Any new clubs in West Edmonton Area?

Im just wondering if there are any new clubs to play with in West Edmonton Area. I think most of the clubs here are too expensive and just use a feather birdies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a bit late, I know, but the recreation facilities planned in Southwest Edmonton will feature a 'flexhall', which is basically 3 gyms attached to each other. So, while it's not designed specifically for badminton, one 'gym' probably can hold 4 courts, so that's 12 potential badminton courts.

http://www.edmonton.ca/portal/server...ceptdesign.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well if theres a club in edmonton id definately join

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmm sounds interesting, if club is successful (been about 3 years now from the post dates), or still running, give me a link or email about the clubs info (like i read b4 training, gamedays, location, etc...)

my email is chung_yep_fung@yahoo.ca

thanks in advance ^^

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast