User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks dude.. but i don think he can go far.. haha.. maybe they r lack of good trainer n facilities.. badminton is not the no1 sport in NZ.. hehe

Sandakan,Sabah, M'sia.. currently in Auckland, New Zealand
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aaron_11 View Post
    thanks dude.. but i don think he can go far.. haha.. maybe they r lack of good trainer n facilities.. badminton is not the no1 sport in NZ.. hehe
    u're right .. i agree with ..in the future .. u will see more asian play for nz team ..~ the facilities here are actually not bad. 1 of the big prob is the coaches .. well im not critising them of course..the govt here wont waste tht ammount of money to hire those really good coaches from other countries. Not unless some certain national players from other country wanna take this as job here.. for example.. Thana (short form name) an indian guy from malaysia who used to play for m'sia...he was in the same bade with WCH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I must say that badminton as a sport has made quite a lot of progress in New Zealand; especially in the last 10 years.

I must say also, that I think the reason for this has been the large influx of asian immigrants in the last 10 years. And fortunately for badminton, a significant proportion of these immigrants are into badminton, a few are even what I would term "badminton nuts".

Hence, the interest in the sport grew, the halls (especially here in Auckland), are being used a LOT more, and the style of play in general has changed also. The games (here) are now faster and more deceptive as a result, which is the way I like it.

While we are still a long way away from even thinking that we can produce players that will trouble the world's best, we have certainly gone a long way. In fact, badminton as a sport is "rare" here in NZ; from the perspective that in badminton, NZ have managed to maintain a 'superiority' over Australia for quite a period now.

To put that into perspective, we've got a better record in badminton (over Australia) than even the All Blacks, a team that is constantly deemed as being the 'best' in the world.

So, to get back on topic, John's done remarkably well for himself, given the circumstances and resources available to him here; and he's certainly making the right steps to further his badminton career.

So, good on him, and I wish him all the best. I certainly wish I was doing what he's doing sometimes, instead of this "coding stuff" day after day.

Joe P.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey we ausis arnt that bad, with our imports chai-chi for womens singles and aji sindoro in the mens doubles, were doing ok.
    when i was in malaysia at the start of the year i met john at klrc, as well as rachel hindley, both of whom are nice people (hehe i spoke to rachel for about 15 minutes befor she realised i was from aus), but anyway, john is doin well for himself, especially considering hes white and is from nz(not being racist, but most players that make it anywhere are imported like i mensioned befor).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what i respect about Moody is that he's also doing a law degree. he's not just a pure badminton machine like Lin Dan, but he's got brains too

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shifty View Post
    what i respect about Moody is that he's also doing a law degree. he's not just a pure badminton machine like Lin Dan, but he's got brains too
    That makes him special for there aren't many badminton professionals or world class players around that can combine both sports and professional studies successfully. Of course Boonsak of Thailand, a newly qualified lawyer, is another. Speaking of whom also is none other than in-the-news now, Punch Gunalan, BWF's Dep. President, who was an engineer by training.

But, perhaps the greatest of them all was the late American, Dave Freeman, the superlative men's singles player during his era, an All-England champion who must have won numerous titles in his hey days. He was a brain surgeon, I believe. Even our own badminton maestro, Wong Peng Soon, lost to him. Wong also lost because he had no professional quaifications other than as a great badminton player.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2