Penalty for unneccessary game delay

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by keeprocking, May 23, 2007.

1. keeprocking

keeprocking Regular Member

I was watching a game between Cai-Fu and Lee-Kim recently. During the entire game, both the teams took ample breaks either for water or to get the floor moped. The interesting part was they didnt pay much attention to the chair umpire when the break time was up. Even the commentator made a remark about it. It made me wonder, in the history of badminton has any team or player ever been penalised for delaying the game unneccessarily ? :rolleyes:

Can someone explain when is a service fault called ? I mean what is it that the umpire looks for ?

2. Slicedbanana07

Slicedbanana07 Regular Member

Service fault: Hmm... I'd assume if the player was serving too high, illegal contact with the shuttle upon impact, such as striking the feathers first instead of the cork or even stepping outside of your sevice box. I dunno, just some thoughts.

3. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    Keeprocking,

There are clear written rules for these circumstances. Here is the link. The rule on intervals and delays is in para 16, and the one on service is in para 9.
    http://www.internationalbadminton.org/PDF - Regulations/67 LAWS OF BADMINTON.pdf

Whether any player/team has been panalised for delaying a match, I cannot recall. But warnings have been given in big matches, but I donot remember if ever any punishment has been melted out, such as award the point to the opponent etc... Maybe other members can help on this one.

As for service judge, he is to ensure the server does not violate the rules stated in para 9 of the rule book. Primarily he will look at:
    (1) if the contact point is below the waist (rule 9.1.5);
    (2) if the shaft is pointing downwards at the point of contact (rule 9.1.6);
    (3) if the stroke is one and smooth forward movement (rule 9.1.7).
    I think most servie fault is called on the first one as the "waist" line is quite arbitary in the eye of the service judge.

Hope this helps.

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired

I suggest players who are not sure to really read up the relevant Laws available in the BWF website.

I'm sure you want to enjoy the game and not want to be penalized for not knowing what you've done wrong. You can prevent this from happening if you know your badminton laws!

I can't remember clearly but during one All England finals (2005?), Malaysia's Lee Wan Wah/Choong Tan Fook were shown a yellow card (don't think it was red ?) for delaying play against the Danes. Their game collapsed after that and it was a real pity because they were doing well before this and there were high hopes that they could win the AE title for Malaysia after so many barren years. Of course the young pair of KKK/TBH won it for Malaysia early this year.

5. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

there were a few threads about it. here's 1
    www.badmintonforum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14409

others can be found by searching for "Hancock"

6. keeprocking

keeprocking Regular Member

Thanks guys for answering my questions.

Linus: The rules were an interesting read. Thanks for the link.

I will check up on the match Loh mentioned. Would be interesting to see it.

7. OHMAHGAWDZ

OHMAHGAWDZ Regular Member

I remember watching a women's singles match, (don't remember the player or tournament) and one of them was incredibly tired, so they walked around in a million circles before going to serve. The umpire called delay of game, and she lost her serve.