MP55

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Gabriel, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Gabriel

Gabriel Guest

Im an intermediate player and I would like to have a muscle power racket. im thinking of buying a mp55, cuz i heard that the other ones are hard to play with. or not? any suggestions?

2. Jason

Jason Guest

MP100's good if u like smashing rampages ^^

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    There's two very good people I know of who use MP55. Their smash is pretty good.

4. Jason

Jason Guest

but dont the MP100 generate a lotta power because of the extra stiff shaft?

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
  6. Jason

Jason Guest

then wut's the stiffness gotta do wif?

7. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I've tried all the rackets in the MP series... Actually no, 3 of them. I have yet to try the MP88. But out of the 3 i have tried. I like the MP77 the most.

i rate them as

MP77
    MP55

MP100

I find the MP77 and MP55 to be quite similar but the only difference is that the MP55 has a head that FEELS heavier. THough its not supposed to. The mp55 has plenty of power, and is relatively fast. Great racket, quite similar to the Ti-10

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    rackets dont' generate power. your arm and wrist do.

9. Tom

Tom Regular Member

Stiff rackets are generally for better control, just like that of higher tensioned string beds. The control is derived when the shuttle hits a relatively flat surface and with less resilient energy in the stiff racket and higher tensioned string bed, the player is able to get better control for there's less bounce. Take a ping pong paddle as an example. It's stiff for one reason, control. This is the reason advanced players would choose stiffer rackets over flexible ones because their arm swings already have the power and thus, selecting a stiffer racket would give them an edge in control. The MP55 is excellent for intermediate players where they already have the power to hit the shuttle from one backcourt to the other backcourt consistently.

Regards.

10. Jason

Jason Guest

o... icic.. thanks ^^... is that why MP100s are for really advanced players?

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

control is a loose terminlogy, control from what situation?
    tom, in your ping pong analogy, if stiff shaft and paddle surface (string bed) give more control, why don't advance ping pong players use plain wood surface. I remember from my old pingpong racket having a rubber one side and plain wood on the opposite side.

Also, why does gosen has a two pivot points shaft design if stiff shaft give the best control and power ? Why not maximum stiffness all the way?

If stiff racket and stiff string bed give best control, your logic lead to conclude that mp100 strung at 30 lbs are best suited for beginners. I see beginner catergory need all the control they can get.

12. Tom

Tom Regular Member

Hi, interesting point but in racquet and string manufacturer's layman terms, novice players tend to be one where they would have some trouble hitting the shuttle from one end of the court to the other end while advanced players already have the arm swing to manage the power component (the court's only so long) and thus might want a stiffer racquet and higher tensioned string bed to fulfill the pin point accuracy of their shots.

About the ping pong paddle, all else equal, imagine that of a player using a paddle with a string bed versus another where he uses the ordinary ping pong paddle hitting the ball. Assuming the paddle with the string bed has a tension to be one where it is less than the ordinary ping pong paddle. Chances are the ordinary ping pong paddle would have better control because it is solid while the string bed paddle would have a bit more power but loses some control because it has resiliency. Another way to look at it is this. Imagine a person who jumps on a solid floor (stiff) and on a trampoline (flex). He'll get better control jumping on the floor but he won't have the height. On the trampoline, he'll have the height (power) but he will lose some control jumping on it.

Gosen's racquets with the Gavun shaft (two point kick-system) are rated as medium stiff at most by the manufacturer where there's some compromise between power and control.

To learn more about the effects of racquets and string tension, there's an excellent tips link at Ashaway's website: www.ashawayusa.com under badminton strings. It's well written and could benefit better understanding of this topic.

Regards.

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

1. pin point accuracy is dependent on motor skill of the player, not the racket
    2. using a human subject is a lousy case example. A steel or cork ball is a much better representation. Shoot a steel or cork ball 300 km/hr at the concrete or hardwood floor and again onto a rubberized trampoline, and see which bounce back faster and farther. Also shoot them again at 5 km/hr at an angle (say 45 deg.) and see which give u more spin and more variation of reflected path. U see both of mine cases give opposite results than your case examples. Now, which objects resemble a shuttle, a human being containing water, blubber, and hundred pieces of unconnected bones or a cork ball.
    3. Don't want to sound egoistic but i didn't get my formal training from a general fiber maker website.

regards.

14. Cricket

Cricket Guest

I agree with Byro. The MP55 is, without a doubt, a great racquet.