how to move to backhand quicker?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by llpjlau, May 24, 2007.

1. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

okay here's the deal,
    i have problems moving to my backhand (im right handed) fast enough to play a forehand shot (in a rally, not during serves)
    forehands are all right.
    how do i move to my backhand side quicker to play a forehand shot? the normal double step?
    thanks

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

The basic footwork to the backhand corner (when playing a forehand) is a swivel step. Your first movement should be to pivot on your non-racket foot, to "line yourself up" for travelling backwards and sideways. Then you just move backwards as normal.

It's a moving pivot: you move at the same time as you turn. The non-racket foot will be dragged lightly across the floor as it turns, often with a sharp squeaking sound.

3. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

i hate it when people push my backhand side

4. jerby

jerby Regular Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSmflcwGfhI
    pretty much covers everything.
    Gollums technique is at 3:07.
    The other techniques for an around the head are mostly intercepts...

as for the second post: live with it, it's a common tactic at practically every level. (for beginners and inetrmediates it can de devastating, the more advanced player it's just a common tactic to force them low in the backcorners irrespective of forehand and backhand...)

5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yes, that is exactly what I was describing :)

(And that's still one of the best footwork videos.)

6. jerby

jerby Regular Member

the video is great..All it lacks is context (targeting the rearcourt footwork mostly...)

7. Hitsugaya

Hitsugaya Regular Member

Student
    Changing from fore-hand to backhand quick in my opinion depends on how you grip your badminton racket in the first place. That and also continual practise switching from fore-hand to back-hand

8. Kiwiplayer

Kiwiplayer Regular Member

The footwork demonstration on the video is pretty good on the whole. However, there are two things that I would comment on.

1. He normally starts off his movement without the split jump (although, sometimes he does). We I'm practicing and teaching shadow footwork, I believe it's important to ALWAYS incorporate it, no matter how relaxed the training may be. The start and end of your movement are the most important parts. In many cases, what you do in the middle almost doesn't matter.

2. After his approach to the net, he steps back fully, taking his racquet leg right back. I believe that it's better to chasse back on the first step back so that your racquet leg remains in front. This way, getting back to the net is quicker if they re-drop.

Wayne Young

9. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

Posting from work today so am unable to view videos etc etc due to the IT Police. GRrrrr

I presume that Gollum means the "quick left foot hop" for a right handed player. (ie Non racquet foot)

1) Pretension jump to angle body and feet towards backhand side as if preparing for backhand
    2) Step onto non racquet foot and immediately hop, only need to travel a small distance for the hop.
    3) During the hop, pivot your body/orientate to be able to use forehand
    4) Now racquet foot will land behind/nearer rearcourt as with normal rearcourt forehand footwork
    5) Drive up and forwards into shot, jump through/scissor kick depending on severity of round the head.
    6) Recover quickly for next shot

Is the video as mentioned earlier the Korean Footwork drill?