Stringing with Gamma 6004 2 & 6 pt mount?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by henryix, May 24, 2007.

1. henryix

henryix Regular Member

Hi all. I am learning how to string badminton and I have a few questions.

1. Is it safe to string w/ this 2 pt mount machine? You can see some pics here, http://www.photostringer.com/gamma_6004_02.htm.
    2. The machine has fixed clamps, but more likely for tennis stringing. Is it ok to use these clamps?
    3. There are also 2 Gamma flying badminton clamps. Is it ok to combine the use of these 2 flying clamps with the 2(tennis) fixed clamps?
    4. Do I really need 4 flying clamps like DinkALot used in his video?

Thanks a lot for your help.

2. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Gamma has badminton clamps.

The new Gamma 2-point support is strictly for tennis.

Gamma composite badminton flying clamps are used in situation where you don't want to scratch the frame. Usually, stringers use HiQua, Alpha, Pro's Pro badminton flying clamps for stringing the main strings and Yonex badminton flying clamps for the cross. Hope this helps.

3. henryix

henryix Regular Member

Thanks Pete.

Yes, they do have fixed badminton clamps but too expensive, like $90 each (for 6004 model). That's why I am wondering if it is ok to used to tennis clamps. Or maybe combine them with the flying clamps.

About new Gamma 2 pt mount, does it mean I can't string badminton rackets on it at all?

Thanks.

4. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Yeap, you can't string badminton racquets with Gamma's 2 point system.

5. henryix

henryix Regular Member

Oh no..., what a disappointment.
    Pete, I hope you don't mind me asking how do you know it is only for tennis rackets? Is it from Gamma? Cuz, I am wondering why the 2 fly badminton clamps come with machine.

Thanks.

6. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    You can tell just by downloading the user manual from www.gammasports.com There is no central support at 12 o'clock. Even the Prince Neo 1000 has better central supports.

7. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Why don't you get the regular six-point version?

8. henryix

henryix Regular Member

I bought it as a used machine and I mainly string tennis rackets. But I now want to string badminton rackets for me and for my sisters too.
    I did call Gamma and asked for two new 6pt mount posts (for the Self Center turn table), but they sell $200 for each post. That is just too much.
    From the tennis forum, some say the Gamma 2pt mount is substantially better than Neos 1000's mount, but maybe it's just for tennis rackets?

Thanks.

9. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

I am responding to your the other post. By any chance you can get your hand on one old racquet (steel or AL frame)? May be go to your local shop and buy one for $5 and use that as experiment and see if your mounting bracket can hold a badminton racquet. Practice with it too.

10. utopia_imminent

utopia_imminent Regular Member

Student
    that machine looks so damn cool!

11. henryix

henryix Regular Member

Yes, I have an old Yonex frame (ISO 250 Long), and here are some pics of the racket mounted one the machine. I don't know how to string yet and I am waiting for DinkALot's Pre-Stringing video, the old link doesn't work. Could someone please post it again?

Attached Files:

12. silentheart

Can you take a picture of the head mounting from about 45 degree up? Looks like you have the racquet secured. I am not sure from picture 1.
    From picture 2, the white plastic holder, is it blocking the grommet? Also, may be put a leather padding between the holder and racquet so it will not damage the paint. Looks like it might work here.

13. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Is the central post touching the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock of the frame? If not, you will have a major distortion problem.

14. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
  15. henryix

henryix Regular Member

Here some more pics. (Sorry about the blurred pics, my camera is not good enough to take close-up pics)

SL: No blocking grommets. I am not sure about the leather paddings, cuz the 4 white supports are already plastic.

Pete: No touching between the frame and the 12/6 o'clock posts. Could you please explain why there will be a major distortion if there is no central supports (at 12 and 6 o'clock)?

Thanks guys.

Attached Files:

16. silentheart

From what I can see, this will be a problem if you try to string a thinner frame racquet such as NS8000. The grommet hole will be blocked. Wide body should be ok.

17. drowsysmurf

drowsysmurf Regular Member

Make ppl happy O_O
    cuz when you string a badminton racket, it starts off from the middle. if you have no contact with the central supports, ur first pull will probably compress ur racket until you racket is close to or is touching the central support. This compression could cause your frame to break. if that does not break it, you will end up with a SUPER wide body racket if the racket frame will hold up when you remove it from the plastic supports.

the swivel clamps should be alrite to be used on badminton racket if the spacing is doing fine, or else you can use only flying clamps for ur crosses.

18. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Per drowsysmurf, henryix's racquets will go poppie pop. Please spend the extra money for the regular six-point suspension system. Oh, you also need load spreaders for the six-point suspension system if you ever string 29 lbs or more.

#18 Pete LSD, May 28, 2007
    Last edited: May 28, 2007
  19. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
  20. henryix

henryix Regular Member

Thanks guys for your comments.

Here is what I found in Gamma Stringing Machines Brochure (on the bottom of the first page) from Gamma website, gammasports.com.

-----------------------------------------------------
    All Machines...
    • Have Diamond Coating on all gripping surfaces
    • Have a 360 degree rotation turntable
    Can string tennis, racquetball, squash and badminton racquets
    • Have a tension range from 10 to 90 lb
    • Have a 5-year limited warranty and 1 year on string clamps
    and electronic components

-----------------------------------------------------

I think I am going to give it a try. This will be my first badminton racket. I am afraid of fighting with shared holes so I want to go with the pre-stringing 2 knots method like DinkALot's video, but unfortunately I don't have the video (the link DinkALot provided is unavailable). If you have the video, please repost it and thanks a lot.
    I am trying to pre-string and of course, having some uncertainties.

1. I could not finish the short main due to the loop that I left at the throat for tensioning later. Is this normal when pre-stringing?
    2. Weaving the crosses is so hard due to the main strings are too loose. Normal?
    3. I don't think I will have enough string to finish all the crosses either. So when it comes to the last few crosses during tensioning, I will have to fight with those shared holes as well. Normal?

I will try to measure my unstrung frame before tensioning and then, hopefully if it does not break, I will compare it against the strung frame.

Also, Pete and drowsysmurf, do you think it might be help if I insert a small hard plastic block between the center post and the frame (for both 12 and 6 o'clock posts)? Thanks and sorry for this long post.

Wish me some luck :)