User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like it The colours are much fresher and bolder.

The top navigation doesn't work. All of the links (knowledge base.....gallery) just point to the forums. In fact, the entire image just behaves as a single link.

The stretched court picture at the top looks a bit odd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks good to me . Just a couple of things I thought:

First I quite liked it centered. Just seems a bit unbalanced on the left. I think it would be even more so on a higher resolution wide screen monitor? Also, howwould the ads look if they were down the right hand side? I think they are too dominant on the left as that's where your eyes are first drawn to. I think it might look slightly less cluttered if they were placed down the right hand side.

Also not too sure about the two greens near the ads. Especially the lighter one. It just looks a bit sickly. Personally I'd go for another blue or orange colour and keep it nice and simple.

Also, (and I think this i just because you haven't finished yet), the "Quick Reply" box at the bottom of the page needs to be changed to the same grey colours used in the actual posts. At the moment it's a slightly blueish purple and like the green on the side, it looks a bit sickly.

I think the logo was a bit better when the shuttlecock took the place of the "t" in "Badminton" (I've got that right I hope heh).

Don't get me wrong, I like it so far ! I just want it to be the best it can be !
    Last edited by phaarix; 05-25-2007 at 06:36 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, this is a quick mockup of what I kind of meant. I think I went overboard actually and completely changed most of it lol, sorry!

But here it is anyway, food for thought:

http://i8.tinypic.com/6h7r9z9.png

I'm going for simplicity and it should be easy to see where everything is. I also darkened certain parts of the website for contrast to make it easier for the eyes to focus on the middle of the page where they should be .

Anyway this is just what I think.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    can you elaborate? i am not following what you are trying to suggest.
    ok, this new header, the background photo, i guess is women doubles is playing.
    these 2 person being cut off at waist and knee section.
    can you get what i mean? look at the wording central at badmintoncentral.com and forum.
    if can, i have this small request is to change the photo.
    thanks......

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

like it, need to get use to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haven't logged in for quite a while.
    Nice to see some changes!

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
    I like it The colours are much fresher and bolder.

The top navigation doesn't work. All of the links (knowledge base.....gallery) just point to the forums. In fact, the entire image just behaves as a single link.

The stretched court picture at the top looks a bit odd.
    there are still a few kinks that needs to be ironed out:

- the shuttlecock above the ads is actually a space for a menu system that will link to other parts of the site
    - the top nav links
    - the footer looks a bit strange.

it was difficult to find a photo that is badminton related, has the right color combination, and fits into the space above. i might go off and take one for that purpose later but for now this one will stay.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wilfredlgf View Post
    As long as it loads quicker than the previous one, no complaints.
    in theory it should. the layout is now done using CSS. and with the fancy hackery, the main content is actually loaded before the side panel and the header. so the content should come up faster than before.

another plus with this CSS code i am using is that now very large image don't stretch out the entire site. the image simply just overflows to the right hand side.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by phaarix View Post

Don't get me wrong, I like it so far ! I just want it to be the best it can be !
    thanks. as you probably figured, i am not planning to make big changes at this point. i will however continue to make small improvement to make it better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey kwun can you centered the page, i most users now have widescreen and it look too much to the left.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks. as you probably figured, i am not planning to make big changes at this point. i will however continue to make small improvement to make it better.
    Cool thanks for reading my post, like I said it's looking good anyway so nothing too major is really necessary .

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in theory it should. the layout is now done using CSS. and with the fancy hackery, the main content is actually loaded before the side panel and the header. so the content should come up faster than before.

another plus with this CSS code i am using is that now very large image don't stretch out the entire site. the image simply just overflows to the right hand side.
    Wow. My jaw actually dropped when I read that.

Well done for making the difficult switch from tables to CSS!

It would be really, really easy to centre the whole site in the browser window. Personally I think that would look much better. If you want some help with the code, let me know.

**Edit**

I hate to be querulous, but the source code suggests your layout is not done using CSS, but with tables. What gives?

Is the table crappo just the inherited forum stuff, with all your nice CSS wrapping around it?
    Last edited by Gollum; 05-25-2007 at 01:27 PM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
    Wow. My jaw actually dropped when I read that.

Well done for making the difficult switch from tables to CSS!

It would be really, really easy to centre the whole site in the browser window. Personally I think that would look much better. If you want some help with the code, let me know.

**Edit**

I hate to be querulous, but the source code suggests your layout is not done using CSS, but with tables. What gives?

Is the table crappo just the inherited forum stuff, with all your nice CSS wrapping around it?
    yes. the overall layout is CSS. but the code generated by the forum software is table based. no way i am going to go muck around with the forum code to fix that...

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

to their defense though, table isn't all bad. a lot of places where tables are used, they are used appropriately.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Wow...what a change..

...hmm, interesting new layout and color scheme, kwun..I thought i woke up this morning on the wrong side of my bed...but wow, the whole site looks so................."lavenderish"..hehe
    Anyways, the first time i logged in, i had to adjust and get used to the new layout and color scheme...At first it looks a bit washed out(like what phaarix mentioned), but i guess i'll(all of us) just have to get use to it..

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes. the overall layout is CSS. but the code generated by the forum software is table based. no way i am going to go muck around with the forum code to fix that...
    Good call

to their defense though, table isn't all bad. a lot of places where tables are used, they are used appropriately.

Tables are for presenting tabular data. That's a good use.

Using them to create layout grids was a brilliant hack, but now we have CSS. CSS is more efficient and more accessible. Unfortunately, CSS layout design is rather an eldritch art; most beginners find it counter-intuitive. Internet Explorer's CSS support is also a problem, and "experts" recommending stupid CSS hacks add to the mess.

Some layouts are hideously difficult to achieve with CSS, so tables make sense. On the other hand, I question the need for really complex grid layouts.

Tables-for-layout should finally die once CSS-3 is complete and browsers support it. It's going to be a long wait

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by phaarix View Post

First I quite liked it centered. Just seems a bit unbalanced on the left. I think it would be even more so on a higher resolution wide screen monitor? Also, howwould the ads look if they were down the right hand side? I think they are too dominant on the left as that's where your eyes are first drawn to. I think it might look slightly less cluttered if they were placed down the right hand side.

Also not too sure about the two greens near the ads. Especially the lighter one. It just looks a bit sickly. Personally I'd go for another blue or orange colour and keep it nice and simple.

Also, (and I think this i just because you haven't finished yet), the "Quick Reply" box at the bottom of the page needs to be changed to the same grey colours used in the actual posts. At the moment it's a slightly blueish purple and like the green on the side, it looks a bit sickly.

I think the logo was a bit better when the shuttlecock took the place of the "t" in "Badminton" (I've got that right I hope heh).

I like the new look but I kind of agree with a couple of phaarix's points; I also think it would be better centred, and also that the green colour is a bit 'sickly', although maybe I just need time to get used to it

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast