How do you perform a split step?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Hitsugaya, May 25, 2007.

1. Hitsugaya

Hitsugaya Regular Member

Student
    Hey i have been trying to work on my split step, but i have yet to be able to find a book or any source for that matter that will give me the correct directions to perform a split step or a one legged split step. So please if anyone knows how to perform the split step, please tell me. Thanks.

2. Slicedbanana07

Slicedbanana07 Regular Member

There's a really good demo on badminton.tv

I signed up to watch the videos and read articles to help myself think about my basics more because i get quite sloppy once in a while. There was a video telling you how to do the split step if I remeber correctly.

3. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Basically it's a little hop you do in time with your opponent's contact with the shuttle. It doesn't have to be an exaggerated jump, a little flexing/bending of your knees should suffice. However, it's very important to be on your toes. Doing the split step will break your inertia and allow faster acceleration towards any direction. Key thing is to wait for the shuttle to leave the opponent's racquet. Once the shuttle leaves his racquet, the opponent has no more control and thus no deception for you to worry.

#3 cappy75, May 25, 2007
    Last edited: May 25, 2007
  4. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Good advice above but I'll make a refinement to one statement -- you want to be on the balls of your feet, not (just) the toes.

Also, besides checking out the badminton.tv site, do a Search on this web site -- there should be tons & tons of stuff on this subject.

5. Hitsugaya

Hitsugaya Regular Member

Student
    thanks a lot this is really helping