User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by huangkwokhau View Post
    I think ENG should send more of his players to be trained in China/Mas and INA to adopt asian styles.........we need more NON asian players to make this sport more popular....amen!!
    I disagree we should have Foreign players learning to play like asians. If European players are trained to play in a asian style they will never beat them at their own game. They need to develop a different style to combat the strengths of the asian players. It also does not make the game more interesting to see everyone playing a similar style.

I also disagree we need more non-asian players to make the game more popular. I think around 60% of the worlds population is from asia, this should be more than enough to be classed as popular. The biggest threat to the popularity of badminton IMHO is the asian trend or fashion in idolising and copying Western Culture. As Asia becomes economically stronger prize money should increase, and so attract non-asians to play (like it or not money is what attracts people to become a professional in most things)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

agree..is all about money...parents now a days would rather their son to be accountant, doctors, engineers rather than badminton player........parents these days are risk adverse...they are worried co badminton players.....only some of them make it to the top

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default big picture

THis is my take:

Would anyone here rather be a winner of a 2 horse race or placed last in a 32 horse race???

To want to be the best in a sport like badminton knowing that other countries could be even better but have not achieved its potential yet to me would mean nothing. Look at the big picture, it is NOT important which country is dominating at any given time. the important thing is that badminton as a sport continue to grow and get more popular. Getting other countries in Europe and the americas to take the game seriously is the first step.

SO what if a country like Egland or Australia or USA or heck even Kenya become strong in badminton? A lesser person wild gripe and whine, a positive person would go home and work harder, get better get stronger.

I, like tha next person would want nothing more than glory for my nation, and the only way to enhance the glory of any given victory is to make sure the field of competition is of the highest standard. THAT brings meaning to victory.

I hope i did not step on anyones tail here and sorry if i did but thats just my take.
    Last edited by dunker; 05-26-2007 at 09:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dunker View Post
    THis is my take:

Would anyone here rather be a winner of a 2 horse race or placed last in a 32 horse race???

To want to be the best in a sport like badminton knowing that other countries could be even better but have not achieved its potential yet to me would mean nothing. Look at the big picture, it is NOT important which country is dominating at any given time. the important thing is that badminton as a sport continue to grow and get more popular. Getting other countries in Europe and the americas to take the game seriously is the first step.

SO what if a country like Egland or Australia or USA or heck even Kenya become strong in badminton? A lesser person wild gripe and whine, a positive person would go home and work harder, get better get stronger.

I, like tha next person would want nothing more than glory for my nation, and the only way to enhance the glory of any given victory is to make sure the field of competition is of the highest standard. THAT brings meaning to victory.

I hope i did not step on anyones tail here and sorry if i did but thats just my take.

your arguement is valid....and you are not stepping on anyone's tail......but I stay with my point of view...I dun want more threat to our hope....Indonesia lives today because they win in badminton.....right now we are dying....if England becomes another threat then where is our face as a country???

No one would know where is Indonesia...no longer will Indonesia be known as badminton kingdom....me I'd rather Indonesia win in 2 horses race than having to compete with another 31 n being last......Malaysia have hockey, England have football, USA have basketball.......INA only have badminton....so yea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Narrow minded

Quote Originally Posted by kidosetiawan View Post
    your arguement is valid....and you are not stepping on anyone's tail......but I stay with my point of view...I dun want more threat to our hope....Indonesia lives today because they win in badminton.....right now we are dying....if England becomes another threat then where is our face as a country???

No one would know where is Indonesia...no longer will Indonesia be known as badminton kingdom....me I'd rather Indonesia win in 2 horses race than having to compete with another 31 n being last......Malaysia have hockey, England have football, USA have basketball.......INA only have badminton....so yea
    Dont worry friend! with such long tradision of badminton, I am sure Indonesia will survive even other $$$ rich country start to pump effort into badminton. Just look at brazil, argentina, mexico & africa coutry... they are poor & country is in chaos but they still continue producing excellent player even the best! Just because of the long history of great tradision.

Actually, it is better country like England put more effort into badminton as this will promote badminton in UK thus enhancing the name of countries with good badminton players... like INA, China & msia!

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

M'sia got hockey? err, we are crap, squash and bowling maybe but hockey got a long way to go. . Nothing tops badminton though. hehehehe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well Malaysia have the A1....they are preety good at that....Indonesia only badminton.....still if it is up to me....I would try everything so dat England won't be a force......CHN n MAS is enough trouble for our record in Thomas Cup......I wan INA to maintain most time winners Thomas Cup.........dats wat we are always proud of

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hei...i dont think that adding england or anything is really going to affect the standard of badminton...come on face it kidosetiawan...i think you really need lessons of real life...you are just like one who is pretending to love your country...if you are really patriotic you should want your country to win the more developed countries...and not just hiding in your shell like a tortoise and telling yourself the whole world is in the shell!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well lets just wait 10 years and we shall see if England dominates....I hope not......

I hope England stay at their current level or drop........sorry I support England in football (I even support Newcastle as a football team)...so I am not trying to be racist....just the belief I have (if England rise then Indo fall)....so obviously as a good Indonesian.....I'd rather see England fall than Indo.....sorry it seems selfish....but life is selfish

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

c'mon....it's so boring seeing the same country winning in every tournament isn't it? it's so much better seeing players from different countries sharing the titles......it's gonna be boring if indonesia wins everything don't u think?....it's already happened before not long ago with china winning everything now it's getting better....other countries are starting to improve n new players are emerging

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Kido....I think you are getting a kick on this thread seeing that your post generate so much attention...like a therapy kind of thing for you.
    You know even if England injects lotsa funding into this sport and that is good for badminton definitely, England will not pose a treat to CHN, INA, MAS, etc...
    A few millions in funding would barely be enough for Gerrard or David to kick a soccer ball for one game. If England is willing to inject lots of funding, better to buy LCW, LD and CJ (sorry TH is too old) and that would guarantee instant win, now I am just being sarcastic, sorry...hahaha!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before chase CHN/INA supremacy as bdm giants, yeah the realistic target for ENG is being #1 Euro bdm powerhouse to replace DEN in doubles because quite hard to reach something big in singles as short-term target. Hmm, probably one day All England venue will be back to the famous London's Wembley Arena.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All I can say that we need more nations to make this sport more popular...I am glad that England, at least, sets goal for being one of badminton powerhouse...I hope Sweden/Finland/German /France/Spain/Poland/Hungary will do same things...without making it popular......tough to get bigger prize money in future as we need sponsors/TV Coverage....once you have bigger prize money like tennis..trust me.!!!..more players will dedicate himself/herself to badminton as a career....it takes time...but I think it will happen..

I really want everybody to look at broader pictures...pls dont bash or have negative comments about nations who wanted to take badminton to another level...we should applause that approach.....agree ???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well not trying to do negative comments here or bashing England...they do have the right to do all this...is not wrong at all......well I am just hoping that they won't be a threat to INA.......I just don't want them to be any threat to us........cos as a country we'll have nothing if England overtakes us.....

But positivie side is dat now the INA team can start building their team from scartch.........or integrate Djarum with PBSI.....that way it would be hard for England to overtake us

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have a feeling you dont love your country at all kido setiawan...you dont care bout the money where it will come from western countries when they start emphasizing on badminton...you want indonesia to be poorer and poorer...how come basketball players are rich and the countries gain a lot from them??because they have international fame and commitment from other countries...other countries especially the western are paying just to watch them play...if only indonesians rule then the only people interested in it will be indonesia..then taufik will be poor...no one to pay him!!the country doesnt gain any money...badminton will soon be wiped out..hope you use some sense and think...by the way you dont have faith towards your country at all...i love malaysia yet i believe even if england set to become better we will train harder and we will be better yet!!that will be two win situation...instead of indonesia winning only at the surface but in long terms actually losing...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, I would very much like England or Denmark to win the THomas/Uber cup. It will be a fresh change and a step to globalizing the sport. Also i think it will give the tridisional power houses a shot in the arm and buck up. That will be soooo cooool

By the way it is not just love for the country that is important but love for badminton as a whole too. It is a great chance for badminton to move foreward and become even more popular (not just another backyard activity). SO, go England!!!

*but i still support M'sia ;-p*
    Last edited by dunker; 05-28-2007 at 10:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

me too...i've always hoped that DEN would beat china and win the thomas cup.....after they beat M'sia in the semis of the last edition i really hoped that they would beat CHN....but....things become boring again

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast