England set target to dominate

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by cooler, May 25, 2007.

1. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    England chief sets radical target
    By David Garrido, BBC Sport

Badminton England's chief executive Adrian Christy has unveiled a radical 100-point plan to make England the world's top nation within 10 years.
    Christy wants to overhaul the system from grass roots up to elite performers so that by 2016 England can compete with China, Indonesia and Korea.

"The first litmus test will be becoming European number one by 2010," says Christy, who took over six months ago.

He is also considering a bid to stage the World Championships in 2011.

Christy's first aim of European dominance is not such a fanciful idea, with Denmark the only opposition of note.

The real challenge will be overcoming the globally dominant Far Eastern nations by 2016.

This will be especially difficult in the singles disciplines, where Christy has admitted the mentality has to change - Andrew Smith is the only British player anywhere near the men's top 10.

The lack of adequate competition in the UK has forced him to train in Malaysia, where he'll soon be joined by Rajiv Ouseph and Nathan Rice, albeit temporarily.

The highest-ranked women's singles player from the UK is Scotland's Susan Hughes. currently 25th in the world, with Tracey Hallam of England lying 39th.

Doubles is in a rather healthier position, with Olympic silver medallists Gail Emms and Nathan Robertson (currently ranked fourth in the world) as well as Donna Kellogg and Anthony Clark (ranked fifth) regularly reaching quarter- and semi-finals on the world tour.

But Christy is not one to rest on his laurels; the governing body has just lured Malaysian Tan Kim Her away from Korea to become the new men's doubles coach, with another "world-class coach" soon to join the national coaching team.

"In the short term, yes, we do have to look abroad," he said.

But the grand plan is to have a system in place that will cultivate home-grown coaches in the future.

And it does not stop there.

Dream job

In order to ensure long-term prosperity in the sport, Christy also has to improve Badminton England's "poor reputation" among the clubs that are its lifeblood - he described communication between the two as 'non-existent'.

Christy's solution? A more coherent structure which he hopes will give promising club players the chance to develop themselves at a higher level.

But plenty of examples from the Far East and South-east Asia prove that in order to match and better the current super-powers, the talent search has to begin earlier, so schools will also be an important feeder element.

Stellar performances at the Beijing and London Olympics from the country's top stars will only help raise the sport's profile even more, even though Christy knows his leading lights will not be around forever.

"We don't want this just to be the Gail and Nathan show," he said, citing youngsters Chris Adcock and Gabby White as ones to watch in years to come.

Other ways of attracting interest include bringing major badminton events to the UK.

To that end, Christy is considering a bid to stage the European Championships in 2009/10, probably in the North-west, but more importantly the Worlds in 2011, preferably at the O2 Arena in London.

All of this depends on funding, of course - with just short of £7m from UK Sport over three years, Christy is willing to put Badminton England's money where his mouth is, and is adamant he will deliver too.

"This is my dream job," he says, "and it's something I'm passionate about being successful at."

Christy: "We don't want this just to be the Gail & Nathan show."

Attached Files:

2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS. (John McEnroe)

3. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    It is great to dream and I can understand being the boss you have to show courage and ambition, but as a realist and within 10 years to be world #1, that is a tall order....and England do achieve that goal or at least can be mention in the breath as CHN, MAS, INA and the other big boys/girls, that would benefit badminton. How is England with the meagre funding compete with lucratic, $$-laden sports like soccer, rugby, etc...Only the diehard and badminton-nuts would pursue a sport as badminton as a professional career...I heard Tracy Hallem, even when she was ranked high in the world had to find sponsor to fund her training and pay air fare to compete...tough ambition, but great to have a dream to start with.:)

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Mr. Christy presented the entire 100 point plan in exhaustive detail at the England coaches conference.

It lasted for about 90 minutes and was very dull to hear. Dull, but good: I was impressed by the detail and scope of the plan.

I'm not convinced that England will become "dominant", especially when it has to compete against huge nations such as China, where badminton is popular and they have over a billion people to choose from.

Nonetheless, this ambition is the right way to proceed. If he achieves half of his target, then it will still be a huge success.

Most of all, I was delighted to hear his plans to connect elite and club badminton better.

#4 Gollum, May 25, 2007
    Last edited: May 25, 2007
  5. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

10 years is very ambitious indeed, but sadly unrealistic. 15-20 is possible, but 10? we'll see ...

6. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    I actually applaud the goal/forth coming efforts.

And recognize Andy Smith to be the only talent even near the "top" right now... (MS wise)

It is a lofty goal indeed, however it can be possible, but this will require some uber funding support. (also time to develop the talent pool)

The same can be said with any nation looking to overhaul their sports programs though.

It always always has to start at the grass roots levels, to discover & cultivate your nation's talent pool.

Canada started some time ago now, and is starting to get better.

However without much help from abroad, it has been a long tough road for our current coaches to undertake... in that sense I'm thankful Canada has the coaches it does already.

I was also happy to hear about the new doubles coach for England.

As I said... lofty lofty goals, but with the proper attitude & efforts put forth it is definitely achievable.

It will make for a lot more exciting badminton globally that's for sure! :D

"Let's go England let's go!"

#6 Kelvin, May 25, 2007
    Last edited: May 25, 2007
  7. kidosetiawan

kidosetiawan Regular Member

Student

I agree most English ppl won't play the sport....why would they wanna play badminton???

lets make a comparison between 2 English guys....Steven Gerrard and Nathan Robertson.....who would English ppl rather be?? I think is the first name no doubt.....

another comparison Andrew Smith or Jermaine Jennas (of course the 2nd one)...English culture is football and rugby not badminton so is unrealistic to challenge Indon and other badminton power house....for Mens single for example Malaysia in the future would have Tan Chun Seang and Lyn kenn wateve his name is...INA will have Andre Kurniawan, Hayom, Ari Yuli Wahyu while in Mixed Indo have Polli and Rizal, Devin Lahardi-Lita Nurlita...so I think is unrealistic......

If I am English I'd rather be Gerrard than Robertson.......well I only like badminton cos its popular in Indonesia and we are only good in badminton

8. kidosetiawan

Student
    In comparison to Indonesia....ppl would rather be Taufik Hidayat than Boaz Solossa

PPl would rather be Heryanto Arbi than Budi Soedarsono

in England of course who would wanna be like Aamir Gaffar......ppl wanna be like Johny Wilkinson, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, John Terry and many more

9. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Hi Kido...I am with you on this one...I can be influenced by $$$, if I am good in soccer and badminton, and to pick one to play pro...wherever the cash lead me to, I follow....Like I say, $$$ talk, and of course, the sound of the the Ferrari, hmmmm....that seals the deal....hahaha!!!LOL!!

10. Felicia_txh

Felicia_txh Regular Member

Student
    I think Indonesia oso good in other sport like football n sepak takraw,rite??:rolleyes:
    Agreed..Badminton is an unpopular sport in England!!Maybe England gov din offer great award to those who play tis sport!!:rolleyes::confused::confused:

11. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

nah, you guys are wrong, badminton is a popular sport here, but for most people it's more of a social sport than anything else.

12. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Agree, nobody said badminton is not popular in England, I think it is the second most popular sport played in the world after soccer....but the $$$ reward cannot entice people to pursue badminton as a professional career. You must have passion to play this sport and to stay upat night wandering in BC forum.
    I am badminton nut too, my buddy Cooler can attest to that, tear my playing arm muscle, I still go to play, everytime I smash, I said ouch!!... I also would not leave town on Tuesday night to attend project meetings the folowing day cos Tueday night is badminton night with my buddy Cooler and the rest of the gang, and there is only one Tuesday night in a week and I wouldn't miss it for anything else, that's as nutty as I can be over badminton, and NOT that I am any bloody good, just a nut, that's it. And not many can be as nutty as me, hahaha!
    But if I am English, just think of Beckham and which English male wouldn't wanna be him than a fella called Nathan...bend like David for a few years and you are set for life...the women, $$$, Aston Martin, whoa!!....follows...still $$$ talk over popularity!:)

13. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Even 15-20 years, to be the best in the world, that's a real lofty goal. England is behind the 5 powerhouses now...even if England embark on the ambitious 10-year goal to be #1...the 5 powerhouses esp CHN, INA, MAS (where badminton is a passion and to MAS/INA is like a religion, are not going to stand still and fall asleep, they advance too. Christy would be prudent to aim for in 10 years England can challenge the best in the world, than to stick a foot in his mouth and choke...hahaha!LOL!:p:p

14. kidosetiawan

Student
    See everyone agree......lets not compare Nathan and Becks....Becks is nuts man he is too rich........I mean alot of ppl would preffer to be Jamie Carragher rather than Nathan....n who is Jamie Carragher?? not nearly as popular as Becks....but still everyoene would wanna be Jamie Carragher here......of you got North England n talk bout badminton they were like Nathan who???? but if say you talk about Viduka (M borough striker then everyone would never stop talking)....so in England football is the thing while ppl still enjoy badminton but not as a pro they just wanna have fun in the sports

well I think Christie is not being realistic......is just nuts to set target like this...is like trying to change the current of an ocean with bare hands....but I hope ENgland is not succesful at all cos I dun wanna have them as a threat enough with MAS and CHN........ENG should just stay in football.......they can't be good in everything.......I hate that...let us have badminton....is our niche.......

15. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    I think ENG should send more of his players to be trained in China/Mas and INA to adopt asian styles......I can see that Tracey hallam starts beating asian players...good for her...we need more NON asian players to make this sport more popular....amen!!

16. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    I don't agree with you at all.
    All you're doing is drawing comparisons of who wants to be whom.
    That proves nothing.
    Each individual excels at what they want to do most, and clearly has a passion for what they do.
    That's what being free is about, having the ability to make choices.

With this type of negative attitude its a wonder why this sport exists at all.

As Lee Jae Bok and many coaches say... your attitude on and off court can dictate the amount of success one has in meeting their goals.

I see a lot of badminton players while I attended studies.
    Not everyone has time to post on a forum.

If you ever hope to see another Olympic Badminton event, its best you broaden your view of the state of things.
    This isn't the 70's anymore.
    The sport is and needs to expand for current pros to make an honest living.
    If badminton is not a global sport... don't count on it ever being apart of the Olympics as such either ;)

Someone mentioned in another post, that badminton players, pros and recreational players alike have a passion for the sport, in Indonesia, Malaysia, China, Singapore, Korea...
    Well welcome to the rest of the world, other nations also have badminton fanatics, and passion for the sport.

Who is the bigger fanatic?
    The one who constantly earns a mediocre pay cheque from winning lots of tournaments, and whines & jumps off the court on a bad line call.

OR

The guy who almost never gets a pay cheque from playing big tournaments, and still plays badminton professionally, despite not being the best in the world, but doing their part to help promote the sport in their region.
    Never giving up on their goals.

Hmm... tough call.

Attitude.
    Who are the real winners & who are the whiners.

The attitude of Badminton England, and its player pool has to change along with the currently implemented programs, and as stated in the article, they have to get in touch with alllllllllllllllllllllll the associations and leagues running throughout the country.

It will take a ton of work, a lot of effort, and money.
    As I said it can be possible, but still very lofty goals.

I being a guest in the country, would like to wish the entire federation & all the players the best.
    No need for ill words.
    It's like Karma. What goes around comes around.

Cheers.

#16 Kelvin, May 26, 2007
    Last edited: May 26, 2007
  17. kidosetiawan

Student
    sorry man my country's pride is badminton can't afford to have another threat to our winning...Malaysia n China is enough troubles for us as they are very good........wat will become of us if England become as good??? Indo ppl would lose hope in badminton.....sorry I am selfish but I am just speaking in the interest of Indonesia......I don't want my people to lose hope....we are not like England......England can always hope on football, rugby and cricket....how bout us??? we can't hope from anything else apart from badminton.......so really I dun really want to see England being a threat to my ppl's hope.......

To BCers here I might seems like a selfish brat...but winning thomas cup and Olympic golds give us hope as a nation.....n right now we are in no chance to win any of those as with only MAS and CHN....if ENG comes in then.........our hope would vanish and as a country nothing is left for us....so I do hope English ppl stay in football and rugby and other sports which they are really good at and give us a chance for hope to prosper in badminton.......we have nothing else...badminton is the only thing we have.......I dun wanna see another threat

18. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I disagree we should have Foreign players learning to play like asians. If European players are trained to play in a asian style they will never beat them at their own game. They need to develop a different style to combat the strengths of the asian players. It also does not make the game more interesting to see everyone playing a similar style.

I also disagree we need more non-asian players to make the game more popular. I think around 60% of the worlds population is from asia, this should be more than enough to be classed as popular. The biggest threat to the popularity of badminton IMHO is the asian trend or fashion in idolising and copying Western Culture. As Asia becomes economically stronger prize money should increase, and so attract non-asians to play (like it or not money is what attracts people to become a professional in most things)

19. kidosetiawan

Student
    agree..is all about money...parents now a days would rather their son to be accountant, doctors, engineers rather than badminton player........parents these days are risk adverse...they are worried co badminton players.....only some of them make it to the top

20. dunker

dunker Regular Member

Veterinarian
    big picture

THis is my take:

Would anyone here rather be a winner of a 2 horse race or placed last in a 32 horse race???

To want to be the best in a sport like badminton knowing that other countries could be even better but have not achieved its potential yet to me would mean nothing. Look at the big picture, it is NOT important which country is dominating at any given time. the important thing is that badminton as a sport continue to grow and get more popular. Getting other countries in Europe and the americas to take the game seriously is the first step.

SO what if a country like Egland or Australia or USA or heck even Kenya become strong in badminton? A lesser person wild gripe and whine, a positive person would go home and work harder, get better get stronger.

I, like tha next person would want nothing more than glory for my nation, and the only way to enhance the glory of any given victory is to make sure the field of competition is of the highest standard. THAT brings meaning to victory.

I hope i did not step on anyones tail here and sorry if i did but thats just my take.

#20 dunker, May 26, 2007
    Last edited: May 26, 2007