touch up paint

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by chowzer, May 26, 2007.

1. chowzer

chowzer Regular Member

recently got a NS9K and first time playing with it was great except some fat guy ran into me and a bit of paint came off of the yellow part of the head

since this is a NS9K and the black graphit Vs the brilliance of the yellow is very annoying, i was wondering if the chipped paint can be touched up with spray paint?

anyone have any ideas/views on this?

will it distort racket play by offsetting the balance?(this im quite doubtful)

2. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

oooo....spray painting a ns9k... i wouldnt do that personally.

3. 2007fp

2007fp Regular Member

Student
    I try doing it to my old pro kennex, what i did is remove all the grommets, sand the whole thing down, and than spray the whole racquet(not the handle) with my favorite tamiya paint($5.99 left over from model building gunmetal colour) it came out nice, no difference in balance.

if you want, maybe you can find a colour similar to the colour you want, or completely change it, cover the string and grommets and other parts and spray it.

4. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

do you have to sand it? using sand paper?

5. 2007fp

2007fp Regular Member

Student
    cause the racquet is very beatin up, paints missing here and there, so i use sand paper to sand the racquet down to its graphite .

6. chgoh25

chgoh25 Regular Member

that must've been quite harsh on the racquet..

7. pedro22

pedro22 Regular Member

Personally, I'd just leave the racquet alone. Paint chips give it "character".

If you really want to touch it up, use a fine brush instead of spraying it on.

8. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    chips on a racquet happen all the time, be it from a shank, hitting the floor, clash and lots of other events that happen. like pedro22 said it gives it "character" i can agree with that im not worried if my racquet gets chiped or paint starts to come off i care more that i can actually use the racquet not how the paint job looks. somebody said this to me once "if you care about chips on your racquet then dont use it just but it and frame it at home" chips and all are inevidable they will happen.

as for fixing it yeah some model paint will do try and get the same color and use a brush to apply it since its notthing to big, if you are gonna spraypaint it though make sure you cover up the strings well cause theres chemicals in spraypaint that will eat away at your strings and shorten their life faster not to mention leave paint on your strings unless its model kit spraypaint as im told that they have lower concentrations so they wont eat away at the plastic on the models but i imagin it will still damage your strings. anyways good luck touching it up if you choose to, hope it turns out how you want it to.

9. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    I have seen wwcbro's silver touch up paint work on his Woven 7. It looks so awesome! :D

10. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    i guess these ways somehow will affect ur racket's balance indirectly.Well,the way i deal with the paint chips is to spray it with some paint,only on the chips.The best color to deal with,is of course,black,or red.

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    in general, i think some people are worrying too much about the cosmetic of badminton rackets. yeah, there are paint chips, but that's almost unavoidable. worry about it is like worry about dirt stuck to your car tire or charcoal deposit inside your BBQ grill.

having said that, here is another thread on complete re-painting of rackets:

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12845

12. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    You can use touch-up paint from cars. They work pretty well for me.
    (I use Honda accord's paint to patch all my rackets)