Amortec 300 woes

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by asiaexpat, May 30, 2007.

1. asiaexpat

asiaexpat Regular Member

My MP 66 broke the other day so I went out and bought an Amortec 300.--I thought the medium flex shaft would suit me fine as I wanted something with little more smash potential than the MP 66.

My first 2 practice hits told me the story--this Amortec 300 sucks big time.
    I knew it right away-- defensive clears were not going far enough, smashes were weak and generally i felt totally handicapped. After 4 losing games I deliberatelty smashed the thing into the wall-breaking it into pieces.

I will go out and buy something different tomorrow--maybe another mp 66.

My buddy has a nano 7000 which i like-maybe ill go for that.
    Can anyone recomend something in the carbonex line which is similar to MP 66-but better for smashing??

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If losing several games make u break an expensive racket, then I have nothing to say about you, expect maybe next time, u can give me the racket instead of destroy it. :rolleyes:

Here are several things we need to know, before we jump on to an conclusion about blame the equipment:

1. Did u get a real or a fake one?

2. Some rackets are just not suitable for you, but plays like a wonder for others. Always demo before purchase, instead of wasting $$$.

3. Is that string too tight or too loose for you? If so, consider to re-string back to your preferred choice.

4. It always take a while to adjust to a new racket/string combo. Don't expect to win every single game, just because u just got a more expensive racket.

5. I know some players personally, and they are using AT300. They are very competitive players, can kick my @$$ with eyes closed. So, it's the player, not the racket. :cool:

3. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    why bother destroy the whole thing?Just change the string into a thinner one,and strung it at ur own best combination.Besides,do u know if it's fake or not?I guess High end yonex racket doesnt have an issue on playability.It's either u,or ur string tension.

4. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    usually, the problem lies in the user and not racquet. and why would you break a perfectly functional racquet anyways? i don't really see the point in that. also, the racquet probably doesn't suit you and next time, you should try it before you buy it. if i were to break my racquets from losing a few games...wow, i probably would have already broke like 10+ ns8ks already :p

5. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    The racquet is much heavier than the MP66 and maybe you've always relied on your swing speed for power and now that it slowed you down you don't feel you can get the power? 4 games is not a lot to determine if a racquet is for you or not.

If you're in for head light racquets, maybe try an AT900T, Nano 8K and 9K

6. asiaexpat

asiaexpat Regular Member

thanks for all your responses.

Let me elaborate a little here, I know it was wrong to break the racket-it was done out of frustration. The racket is not suited to my game. but fyi-string was at 20 lbs--bg 65 or 66. I don't know how much difference strings can make but i doubt it make this racket work for me.

Money is not a huge issue-after all the racket costs slightly less than a round of weekend golf here in Bangkok.-

Think ill get another MP 66 first and then see if I can get to try a nano 8 or 9 k.

BTW

Normally i string my MP 66 at 19 or 20 lbs and use bg 65 or 66 string--what effect will going to thinner string have? like 88 or?

7. W Norman

W Norman Regular Member

Quantity Surveyor
    To suit expressly.. after long time using MP66 and then to Amourtec 300 is not easy my friend. Alike changing a girlfriend in your live , to suit instantly.. mmm .it quit difficult.
    Currently i'm using Yonex Amourtec 300 as my regular racket with string BG68Ti 26lb, it give a good response to me , as hard hitter and defensive player, more accurately and less vibration.
    OK .. i agree that MP66 is good.. it more flexible compare to Amourtec 300 (medium stiff racket) , but it not suit me, i'm looking for stiff racket , but not "extra stiff "... So moral of the story .. There is no racket can suit to everyone because of different playing style of us.. so ask yourself what you really need..don't waste your money even you have a lot of it...

So i'm still be a champion with Yonex Amourtec 300.. ok .. see you all..

8. vagpwner

vagpwner Regular Member

Err isnt 900t a head heavy??? haha. Just that its head lighter than most from the at line. Anyway Head heaviness is relative. i can say that at900t is headlight compared to at700 or the NS9k is head heavy compared to the Ns7k

9. asiaexpat

asiaexpat Regular Member

could not find the MP 66 at any of the shops I checked today-maybe will not be available in Thailand anymore--it is still on the yonex thai website--whatever that is worth.

I might need to find an alternative-- Like I said I like the nano 7k that my friend has--thin stringed--maybe Ill get one of those,

10. Cannot_smash

Cannot_smash Regular Member

Bag snatcher hahaha
    Other alternatives are ns 5k, 6k and 7700 can always give those a try as well if possible

11. W Norman

W Norman Regular Member

Quantity Surveyor
    When we surf Yonex international website , there is no more MP66 , maybe Yonex start to stop the production of that stuff and go for new series or going developing to date most popular series "Amourtec" - "Yonex Claim that".. . Even at my town there hard to find MP66 anymore....

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    BG65 and BG66 have quite noticeable difference, as BG65 (0.70) is much thicker than BG66 (0.66). Therefore, if strung using same tension, then BG66 feels a lot of tighter than BG65.

13. chrishin

chrishin Regular Member

when i cracked my MP 66 they gave me ns 5k as a replacement. Even though it's a good racquet very different from MP 66. For me atleast i prefer MP series much more over NS series which are very very light.

also my 5k's cracking also so i'll be visiting someone again after my exams :)

#13 chrishin, May 31, 2007
    Last edited: May 31, 2007
  14. drowsysmurf

drowsysmurf Regular Member

Make ppl happy O_O
    i really really want to ask how old you are =P. i remember when i last did that to a racket (my only time), i was err... 17...maybe 18... hahaha... and it wasn't because the racket didn't suit me. it was because i couldn't find replacement grommets for that particular racket (special holes).

edit one: going on... i think you need to adjust ur skills in badminton before you adjust ur racket. also, unless your playing with a plastic shuttle, i'd say u can string your racket at a higher tension... at least a good 22lbs-23lbs if your playing with feather. mp66 is more flexy and has a different weight distribution compared to the at300 but it shouldn't cause such a big difference in ur game. (all these is based on what u said about defensive clears which has more to do with ur stroke and technique than the racket)

edit two: this is just my opinion, don't start trashing me about it.

#14 drowsysmurf, May 31, 2007
    Last edited: May 31, 2007
  15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    if i break one racket every time i play poorly, i will have no racket left.

more often than not, after i play poorly with one racket, i come back another day, pick up the same exact racket, and i play really well with it.

the moral of the story is, the racket is not the one to be blame. everybody have good bad days, and everybody needs to adjust to different rackets.

16. Tsumaranai

Tsumaranai Regular Member

Student
    The MP-66 is no longer in production, and neither is the MP-44, as they're being replaced by the MP-45, which is supposed to be a combination of the two.

17. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer

U dont know what kind of magic would bring into ur game yet,since u only reached 20lbs.For me,no matter how good ur racket is,but the string type n the tension is not suitable for u,it'll be useless..
    So,before u decided to break another racket,which will cost u more,try to change the string,couple of times if it's neccesary.Do it like a test,for what tension or string that suits u most.

Talking about racket,u should know what kind of racket suits u most.Either it's a head heavy/light,flex/stiff,etc..Dont buy it just because it's famous,or expensive(since u got the money).

#17 Smichz, Jun 2, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
  18. david07

david07 New Member

Student
    I second this, do many different tests. and don't buy racket's just because they are known, they have to be suited for you.

19. OHMAHGAWDZ

OHMAHGAWDZ Regular Member

Dont Break It, Sell It!

20. FitnessFreak

FitnessFreak Regular Member

i think you shoulda sold it instead of breaking it... =\

if you didn't want it you could sent me it i would pay for shipping to lol!:D