In need of racquet advice

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by jonnylane, May 30, 2007.

1. jonnylane

jonnylane Regular Member

This forum is a fantastic resource, congratulations to all those responsible. I'm in need of recommendations for a racquet, so I'll outline my background and style:

I'm 25, 5'8", primarily a rugby player, heavily built and well above average strength. I've been regularly playing badminton recreationally for around 10 years (with no tuition) and have been receiving lessons for the last 3 months. The coaches have informed me I'm of a low intermediate standard. My game is aggressive; I smash a lot with plenty of power (mostly arm power, but I also snap my wrist), my touch at the net is not so good but improving under coaching. I also play squash at an intermediate level, so my swing is fast and powerful. My backhand technique is pretty reasonable and I can backhand clear without much problem. My drops are comparitavely pretty poor, but improving, again with coaching. I play a mix of singles and doubles.

Ok, racquets. For the last 12 months I've been using a Carlton Powerbalde Titanium. I find it suits me well enough, but having very little knowledge about badminton equipment I don't really know particularly what to look for to suit my playing style. My Carlton is wearing out and I'm going to have to consider a change at some point (preferably before it breaks!).

So, I'm looking for a) things I need to look for in a racquet which would suit me and b) some specific models which may be suitable. I understand the ideal is to get a load of racquets and try them out, but that's not going to happen at my level!

Hope you can help!

2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

1) since you have a coach, why not ask what he think you should get as a replacement to your current racquet. He is the person knows about your skill the best.
    2) If you stay with current aggressive style, I will suggest you look for a even balance to head heavy racquet with stiffer shaft for better control.
    3) You must have friend who plays badminton at your level. There must be some other players in your club. It does not hurt to ask some one to take a look and swing their racquet. Ask their style and feeling about the racquet. Always ask nicely for try out their racquet. The worse case they can only say no.

3. pedro22

pedro22 Regular Member

Definitely get something that is stiff and head heavy to maximize your power play. If you want to stick to Carltons there is the Powerblade Elite or the 2007 year-model Fireblade Iso Elite.

4. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    yup..agree with silent heart.Since u r just begin to take badminton preety seriously,ask ur coach,since he would understand more about ur play style,n ur suitable tension.

5. XtC-604

XtC-604 Regular Member

Store Manager
    well, first of all how much are you willing to spend?

Im only going to recommend yonex racquets as they are the easiest to find:
    ~$250CDN i'd recommend my favourite racquet : AT700, it's stiff, head heavy
    OR Nano9000X: though not head heavy it is, quite stiff.
    at around $150CDN i'd recommend an AT500, as they are quite good for doubles even though they are head heavy and stiff =p

6. jonnylane

jonnylane Regular Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll certaintly ask the coaches at the club next week for their advice, and I'll also try as many racquets as possible through others at the club. We have quite a few players with a wide range of styles, I'm sure I'll find something.

My budget is, well, not particularly an issue. I's rather not spend a load of money for the sake of it but I don't mind paying for the right racquet. I have several other much more costly interests!

Thanks!

7. jonnylane

jonnylane Regular Member

Many thanks for all of your advice. After trying out a myriad of rackets through the help of fellow club members and my local badminton shop, I've bought a Victor ATB Magan 6000. It suits me perfectly, very stiff shaft with even balance. The "Anti Torsion Bridge" looks a bit odd and is probably pretty pointless, but it doesn't get in the way.

Overall, I'm very happy.