Badminton: BAM offers Rexy 50 per cent pay rise

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by ixory, May 30, 2007.

1. ixory

ixory Regular Member

Badminton: BAM offers Rexy 50 per cent pay rise

By : K.M. Boopathy
    NST online

[​IMG]
    REXY MAINAKY

IN a move to keep national doubles coach Rexy Mainaky in Malaysia for at least two more years, the BA of Malaysia (BAM) has offered the Indonesian a substantial increase in pay.
    The increase is believed to be 50 per cent more than what Rexy is getting in his current contract.

As Rexy’s two-year term expires today, Indonesia BA (PBSI) president Sutiyoso is going all out to recruit the former Olympic champion to boost Indonesia’s chances of winning the men’s doubles gold in next year’s Beijing Olympics.

However, Rexy said he will not have any negotiations with PBSI, and is willing to accept a contract extension from his current employer if his requests are met.

The fact that Rexy is already talking about ways and means to make Malaysia a world powerhouse in men’s doubles is an indication that he is keen to stay here.
    "I have yet to make a decision but I’ve already told BAM there shouldn’t be any problems if both parties can come to an agreement. A green light from BAM should settle it," said Rexy yesterday.

"PBSI president Sutiyoso has been calling me regularly but I don’t want to be distracted by this.

"I want to focus on my job and should I accept the new deal, there is plenty to be done. There is the World Championships (in Kuala Lumpur on Aug 13-19) and eventually the Olympics and I must make sure the preparations are on track.

"Not only that I must help the current senior players to establish themselves on the world stage, I must also start preparing the junior pairs from now. We shouldn’t get stuck in a situation like in the men’s singles where the gap between the seniors and the juniors is too big.

"I need to consider a few factors before accepting the new deal and so far, it looks encouraging."

Rexy inherited the doubles squad which were stagnant in 2005 but his focus in instilling discipline and improving the work ethics of the players has started to bear fruits.

His uncanny ability to form effective partnership, saw the birth of Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong, who in their first six months, took the doubles scene by storm as they went on to win the Doha Asian Games gold in December, the All England, Malaysia and Swiss Opens.

Fairuzizuan Tazari-Zakry Latif are the other new combination that have shown good progress over the last two months, while Chan Chong Ming-Hoon Thein How, considered as no-hopers by many, have also shown a marked improvement, and won the New Zealand Open two weeks ago.

The revival of veterans Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah, who won the Asian Championships last month and are now ranked World No 4, is one of Rexy’s success stories. The pair were on the verge of giving up last year after a string of poor results.

Rexy is also looking at making Malaysia a world power in mixed doubles, and has mooted the idea of forming a full-time mixed doubles squad. Three junior pairs - Tan Wee Kiong-Woon Khe Wei, Lim Khim Wah-Ng Hui Lin and Lutfi Zaim Khalid-Goh Liu Ying - are being developed for this purpose.

Rexy has also helped out women’s doubles Wong Pei Tty-Chin Eei Hui by letting them spar with the men’s doubles in order to achieve better results on the international scene.

Rexy, by far, is the most successful foreign coach hired by BAM and the association is likely to approve his requests with regard to his contract extension. Malaysia’s ultimate aim is to win the men’s doubles gold in the Beijing Olympics, and Rexy’s presence will be crucial in realising the dream.

#1 ixory, May 30, 2007
    Last edited: May 30, 2007
  2. s1nn3r

s1nn3r Regular Member

Qs
    Beside $$$, msia prodigy is giving Rexy Jobs satisfaction.

3. chapree

chapree Regular Member

Student, writer, blogger & gamer
    Hope it will be confirmed soon enough :D

4. Blurry D

Blurry D Regular Member

Corporate Strategy
    this is good news hope BAM knows whats best for them

5. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    There is n o need ro Rexy to think about PBSI..Sutiyoso is known as not a effective leader....just stay in Malaysia, rexy......

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Not a surprise..

..yep and as i somewhat mentioned in another thread, Rexy will work his best to accept the deal..;)
    Thanks for sharing the article, ixory..:cool:

7. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Hope it is enough money even though it sounds big (50% rise). It is not cheap staying in Malaysia particularly if your kids are studying in International Schools (anywhere from RM 20,000/annum primary to RM 45,000/annum for secondary). If he is staying in Mont Kiara, the cost of apartment is around RM 3000 to RM 6000 per month. I am pretty sure apartment is free for him. All adds up.

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

I don't think..

..Rexy is greedy lah:p..He will work with BAM to get the best possible & fairest deal for both parties..And most importantly, do whatever he can for his family's best interest..;):cool:

#8 ctjcad, May 30, 2007
    Last edited: May 30, 2007
  9. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

yeah, no doubt job satisfaction is important, but a 50% pay rise never hurts ... :)

10. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Rexy delivers the goods therefore entitled to the loot...the MD has shown dramatic improvement, give Rexy credit for having the guts and vision to split up the team and repaired them and WIN...that's it, it is all about winning and giving MAS hope and glory...all the power to him.
    As for greedy, I don't think so, because if Rexy screw up, he will be gonzo and since he succeed where no others have, give him the dough.:)

11. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

I wonder..

...after guiding his young charges to AG, MO, AE & Swiss Open titles and now getting a pay raise, i wonder when will Rexy finally get his.........................."Datukship":confused::rolleyes::p...Hey, if KKK can get a "Datukship" after winning those 4 titles, Rexy should definitely be in line to get one soon....Does one have to be a M'sian citizen to get one??..:confused:
    Perhaps if his charges win the WC title this yr or the OG next yr??..:confused::D;):cool:

#11 ctjcad, May 31, 2007
    Last edited: May 31, 2007
  12. ixory

ixory Regular Member

'Datukship' emmm...:rolleyes:.Dunno if foreigner can have 'Datukship' or not..but wat i know Jean todt,Ferari CEO(correct me if i'm wrong)already got that title..emmm:rolleyes:..and some correction,KKK not yet get his 'Datukship',it just a small appreciation from Sultan to him.No 'Datukship' given..;):D:p...

13. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Rexy getting 50% pay rise is no small feat. Many people would see the door than get a rise, let alone a hefty pay rise like his.

With it comes more responsibilities and Rexy knows it well and that is why he has to weigh the offer to see whether it is worth it. I just hope BAM has given him enough as much as they have given him more work.

14. s1nn3r

s1nn3r Regular Member

Qs
    Everyone works for $$$...
    2nd only come passion...
    3rd works satisfaction...
    4th Family
    If indo offer Rexy 100k a mth sure he JUMP cepat cepat...

15. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    I thiought BAM pays his apartment and school for his kids as well...I read the article somewhere in Indo...not sure which papers reported....

16. amaze

amaze Regular Member

Whatever it is, if he is deserving, I'm sure the Malaysian general public are definitely supportive.... after all, in a free market economy, only results tell.:cool:
    Nothing else.

17. sweetluv

sweetluv Regular Member

the coach deserves it... the coach is like any other employee too.IFyou are capable,you have chance to get bonus.... hehe.. rexy is doing well in grooming the young pairs and he always motivate the players,never forget the small country flag on your shirt because you have to raise it high!

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    u r thinking like the pbsi, that's why it wont work. It wont work for rexy just like it wont work for attracting tony G back to INA.
    u r under estimating rexy's intelligent.
    Rexy knows about pbsi to its rotten core.
    your what's if 100k offer from pbsi proposal is just pure speculation and full of bologna, ie groundless.
    1. rexy is not taking pbsi's calls, so any pbsi offers can't be proposed to begin with
    2. pbsi can't afford 100k since they are over staffed and behaves like greedy lying incompetent politicans. Just ask other Indo players about them getting their payments from pbsi. Pbsi can propose 100000000000k to rexy if they want, getting paid is what count.

even if pbsi shoved a gold bar up to rexy's face, i dont believe rexy would take the deal. Winning a MD gold for INA is just a one time glory, and that IF rexy can pull this stun with 1 year task to achieve this miracle. What if INA failed to get a MD gold with rexy, rexy will be back on the street looking for work. With MAL, rexy gets more money than he expected, good long term career, more control of MAL badminton development, family, etc. ie more job satisfaction, PBSI can't compete with just money. Ask any professional HR analysts, your ranking of what employees wants is at noob level.

#18 cooler, May 31, 2007
    Last edited: May 31, 2007
  19. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

hahaha, i think you mean boloney ... however that's spelt ... i just got back from bologna on monday, and it's a heck of a nice place.

yeah, rexy must have witnessed first hand how PBSI operates, i do hope that the administration will improve, i hate seeing badminton players failing to shine due to incompetant officials.

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu

bo·lo·gna /bəˈloʊni, -nə, -ˈloʊnyə/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[buh-loh-nee, -nuh, -lohn-yuh] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    –noun a large seasoned sausage made of finely ground meat, usually beef and pork, that has been cooked and smoked.

Also called bologna sausage.
    -----------------------------
    hahaha, i think i did got my sausage right:p