Looking to purchase new racket

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by hellspar3, May 31, 2007.

1. hellspar3

hellspar3 Regular Member

I currently own a mp 23. Although it's a decent racket I want something a bit more solid, something better to improve with.

I'm looking to buy a new and more high end racket.

I have a tennis background, and played badminton seriously for probably 1 1/2 years. I like smashing, basically if I can smash it I will not choose to drop most of the time.

My question is, what is a suiting next racket? Lets say money isn't an issue.

Thanks.

2. Slicedbanana07

Slicedbanana07 Regular Member

A musclepower 99 might be a good addition for you. Seeing as how you have used a musclepower before, buying a higher end muscle power would be a good idea. Alternatively you can look at the Yonex AT700, which a lot of people like for its hard hitting potential.

There are other brands you can look out for. SOTX comes to mind, a lot of people here use SOTX and I just bought a couple from jerby, can't wait for those. SOTX woven series, especially the the woven 9, 10 and 11 (13 as well i think - too many to recall) have an excellent solid feel and are ideal for those who have good strength.

Carlton airblade tour, Yonex AT500, Ti-10, there are lots to choose from.

Before you decide, think about what you want from a racket. Do you want a head heavy or head light or overall balance? Light racket or heavy rackt (2U/3U/4U)? What about shaft stiffness? Very stiff (for those with excellent raw strength), medium flex, stiff, or medium stiff?

"I like smashing, basically if I can smash it I will not choose to drop most of the time."

Its not a good idea to say things like that. Although smashing can be fun and can win you some points, badminton is not just about smashin. You should learn to vary your shots if you want to become a better player.

As a start, check out this topic, which was a discussion about hard hitting rackets.

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31419

Then when you are interested in a sound of a racket, use the search function, or racket reviews to see if there is anything about the racket. If not then start a new thread to ask questions.

Hope this helps

Slicedbanana

3. fivestars

fivestars Regular Member

Besides the Sotx ones listed by Slicebanana, Sotx D600 and Woven 7 are also great offensive rackets.

A tennis background doesn't really helps in badminton. I hope your not exchanging your techniques in badminton/tennis. String and tension is also a determining factor in power and racket selection. May I ask what is your current string and tension? And plan to string/tension for your future racket?

4. hellspar3

hellspar3 Regular Member

Haha I know, but it's a lot easier coming from tennis vs coming from nothing, strokes are basically the same, but I had to learn to use my wrist instead of my arm. I think the REASON i like to smash more is because of tennis, because you don't exactly overhead drop in tennis often.

I just restrung my mp23 with bg65 at 24 tension. I'm not quite used to the tension, as it was probably a 18ish before it broke. I plan to get used to the higher tension before I switch rackets. I definitely need to work on not smashing everything and dropping more often. I think the reason I like to smash more is because I have more precision when smashing vs dropping.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll definitely look into it. Can anyone recommend a light racket with good power and decent control? I was pretty much set on the mp99 before making this topic because of it's overall rounded areas, but I just wanted to see what you guys thought. Does it take time getting used to the mp99 like how it takes time getting used to the at800?(From what I've heard)

5. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

1 things anout MP 99 vs MP23.
    1) MP99 is a lot stiffer than MP23.

for #1, you need to swing harder to get the potential out of MP99.

It is good idea to get use to higher tension before you move over to MP99. Because you can lower the tension a little w/ MP99 to shorten the adjustment time. If you have problem with MP23 @24lb, that mean you are still a couple month away because you are missing the smaller sweet spot at higher tension.

Good luck.

6. hellspar3

hellspar3 Regular Member

Wow you hit the spot. That was exactly what it felt like. Smaller sweet spot. No wonder I was feeling like I wasn't hitting my shots direct on. Thanks and I will get used to it before I make the switch.