Tips for a "beginner"?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by jrong, May 31, 2007.

1. jrong

jrong Regular Member

Geek
    I'm just starting to come back to badminton again after playing a LOT of it as a child (but mostly only recreationally)... it's nice to come back to a game and rediscover how much you enjoyed it years and years ago! :D

I'm just a little worried that the bad habits I picked up are going to stay with me. For example my backhand is dreadful, almost non-existent. If anyone hits a clear into the backhand corner of my court, I find it very difficult to return it. :( But short of attending a coaching session, I am not sure how I'll ever improve. During a game, I almost always miss or hit a wild backhand way out of court.

Another question is, how do you react to a fast smash that is directed at your body? My reflexes are quick enough that I can react in time, but not fast enough that I can hit the shuttlecock back *properly* - I usually end up firing into the net, as a reflex action.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to practice on my own? Or do I sound like a no-hoper? :D I just play once a week with someone who is barely better than myself.

2. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Do you use a thumb-up-the-back grip? This grip is best suited for backhands that you hit in front of your body (or between you and the net). For backhand shots that get to the side of you or slightly behind your front shoulder, a different backhand grip might be more suitable.

Perhaps you might try to learn the BH block for shots at your body or for shots to the non-racket side of your body. This shot can be found at Badminton.TV as well as on YouTube and other sources ...

video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5237535789827419291

There are also a variety of other BH shots on the Badminton.tv site.

If you can ever get access to the IBBS.tv site (on a machine other than your Mac), LJB has a video on Smash Defence as well as other BH shots.

3. killersmash

killersmash Regular Member

u sound like a no hoper... Joking lah.. try training by hitting the shuttle towards the wall... it will help to train ur reflexes as it is hard to predict where the shuttle will go after it rebounds off the wall

4. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

yeah, watch a few training videos, and get some of the better players in your club/group to help you out. the only way you'll improve is to keep trying ...

5. FitnessFreak

FitnessFreak Regular Member

6. jrong

jrong Regular Member

Geek
    Hi there, if you look at the other thread on the free IBBS videos... I can't view those videos as I am on a Mac and have Firefox only. :( It's a shame because they seem to be very good!

7. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    jrong -

U should be able to view the vids on Badminton.tv on yer Mac w/Firefox. Besides the Backhand Block vid that I mentioned there are several other free (non-memeber) videos that feature the BH (backhand) ...

BH Grip - Basics
    Racket Control
    March Preview - BHs

another freebie to check out on that site:

Doubles Play Technique

There are many other BH vids available to members. Membership is fairly inexpensive and they also offer the 1st month free (for all access).

Also be sure to look into the great stuff on IBBS if you ever get access to a suitable machine or if u can get IE 5.2x working on your Mac.

8. jrong

jrong Regular Member

Geek
    SysAnom: I managed to find a copy of IE 5.2x online and installed it in the Mac, and now I am able to view the IBBS videos with the VLC media player! I'm really chuffed about this! :D Thanks again for all your help!

9. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    Are there really backhand clears on IBBS at this time? Lee has got the BH drive, smash defence, BH serve and some other BH shots but I don't recall seeing any BH clears.

10. fsnicolas

fsnicolas Regular Member

University Management
    Honestly, it's difficult to improve substantially without a coach. I was playing for around three years until I finally ventured into paying for a professional coach. My shots substantially improved within the first session and my gameplay improved a lot within 3 sessions. Perhaps you can invest in a few sessions, pick up as much as you can and then practice the drills on your own.

As for defense against smashes, it doesn't matter if you react to the smash right away if the defensive shot doesn't hit or it mis-hits the shuttle anyway. As a drill, first have someone feed (throw by hand) shuttles down at you as you make defensive shots (FH or BH). Practice this until you're quick enough to handle actual smashes and make that your practice drill.

11. jrong

jrong Regular Member

Geek
    I can't find videos on backhand clears on Lee's website either, however I have found a lot of his other instructional videos very useful and insightful. I just have to learn to apply them to my game. :D Knowing HOW and actually applying it in practice are two very different things, I find!!! In the heat of gameplay, I find myself not altering my grip very much.

The idea of getting a coach is a good one; I am leaning towards that myself. Now to find the time/motivation to travel to a sports centre that offers coaching!!!! :D