Racket to improve overall technique

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by yf19-sama, May 31, 2007.

1. yf19-sama

yf19-sama Regular Member

MRWSCF
    Hello people in the way to begin competition next year i have the racket Choice problem.

Actual racket: Wilson sting Torch 1st edition (a pure youngish design choice) this model have strong power but lack of accuratie
    • Presentation:
    I played time ago in college (stopped at 18years) and return this year seriously in a club at 24y.
    My strongest points are stamina, reflex , acceleration in moves and slow shot accuracy.(note I'm left handed)
    Never had a coach i have lots of weak points too:
    Bad foot placement in long court include bad moves hitting the bird, the near-near hits doesn't have effect, unable to do a JUMP smash, lack of power Planning to apply the video learning tips I need a better weapon.

what's my better choice? a extra light model like the karaka sp70 or improve my actual model profile (offensive)
    • Models tried:
    yonex NS 6000 (fell great and expensive so i need to be sure)
    Yonex MP 21 (seems o have the same shape but no compare in term of feel)
    wilson V6 quad

Thanks for reading

#1 yf19-sama, May 31, 2007
    Last edited: May 31, 2007
  2. danny_m

danny_m Regular Member

how did u like the Wilson v6? Easy to drive/clear? Enough smashing power?

3. Slicedbanana07

Slicedbanana07 Regular Member

It seems that you could make a good front net doubles player, so I'd suggest (if money is not much of an issue), something along the lines of the yonex nanospeed range (7700, 8000, 9000). These models provide good attacking attributes as well, but are mainly good for its quick manueverability and feel.

I have heard good things about the sl70, but it's not everyone's racket, so try it out to make sure you like it if you are considering that model.

I'd suggest doing a search on even balanced rackets. This way you can still benefit from your defensive and net play, but at the same time, give you good attacking options if you want to develop them and use them during a game.

My advice now is to train your weaker elements first, then decide on which racket would suit your play. If you find that, at the end of it all, net playing is more of your strength, then you can consider buying a racket that is suited more towards that particular area of play. If you buy a racket that focuses too much on your defense and net play, then later on, you might decide that its not right for you or you may find that you have become much better as the attacking doubles player and wish to seek a racket that caters for both styles.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Agree with the above. Your game is likely to change over the next few months if you've only picked up the game again recently. You'll be trying a different racquet again soon.

5. yf19-sama

yf19-sama Regular Member

MRWSCF
    thanks people

In order of posting:
    Unlucky I don't have tried the V6 in game, but feel nice with it doing some swings, the better feel was reach with the NS6000 at a impressed point

You seems to have found my game placement ad type because i love receive hard smashs, curiouly i use to be rear at doubles because i can manage teammate placement , at the net i use to accelerate the game.

I'm in the way to correct my moves I started it during this 2 months, i even don't imagine how mush i improve just learning the basics moves in the net, foot work and wrists.

I have a deal with sl70 and don"t enough money right now for a NS xxxx.
    So If this one don't fell nice in my hand i will be more patient and correct errors first
    The choice of changing racket it's because news "good" sensations boost the learning process. The wilson was buy for my first competition i think it a mistake for advanced players not having the time o be use of it.

I love all moves and play type so i hope to become a intermediate-defensive player at end.

6. yf19-sama

yf19-sama Regular Member

MRWSCF
    What's the matter about the sl70 model??
    what kind of player can be confortable with it?
    For advanced players have it a good life time?
    Even with nanographite 70g look too less to me?

7. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    why not try the yonex mp 29 light? it is for all rounder. while you figure out what kind of a player you are, a balanced all rounder racket looks like a good buy.

8. yf19-sama

yf19-sama Regular Member

MRWSCF
    it's may due to the grip but the feel was less precise than NS6k, the French price are similar than the deal with SL70.

what is the change in the all rounder?

#8 yf19-sama, May 31, 2007
  9. yf19-sama

yf19-sama Regular Member

MRWSCF
    #9 yf19-sama, May 31, 2007
  10. yf19-sama

yf19-sama Regular Member

MRWSCF
    I'm back to tell you what i think of the Karakal SL70 after short test:

Very nice sensation in hands this racket make me realize how mine is a hammer!
    In long shots it give really good power and accuracy, my back shots have better response for sure.
    No problem with net play too.
    The owner put a overgrip so i can't tell you if this part is ok (i'm not use to this)

Let's start this the weakness!!

The most perturbing point is the vibration at hit , something i don't use at all, did yours racket do the same?

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I think vibration is more of a problem with lighter racquets. Lighter racquets might be more easy to break.

Lighter racquets are more difficult to power smash with in doubles. You may find initially your power improves. I think, if your skill gets better and in future you will play better players, you will find the smash will lack penetration.

12. yf19-sama

yf19-sama Regular Member

MRWSCF
    Well thanks for the advice, the owner tolds me that he never plan to play double with this racket due to fear breaking it in case of racket/racket shock.

It's a bit strange because lightness is a advantage in doubles, he was surprised about the life time and weight of mine
    Wilson sting torch is a ANTI-SL70 to resume,

Vibration are in hands something the same i feel playing tennis, putting a piece of silicon at the bottom of the string help in tennis may be this add can do the same with SL70 (the bad joke..).

Something important to point out: the racket type influence your game style at beginner stage

Actually I must train my footsteps and racket movement so the smashing problem can wait.

I'm not ready for a head weighted and offensive model for sure.

#12 yf19-sama, Jun 2, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
  13. Slicedbanana07

Slicedbanana07 Regular Member

I found that when I started out young, I always felt a lighter racket was more comfortable, which when you are playing at a lower level, then its not soo much of a problem in terms of power. But when you get to a slightly more advanced stage of play, making that transition to head heavy is a little tricky, so that it why I would have suggested another racket to the sl70.

Also, I second Cheung post about lack of power against better players and shock.

14. yf19-sama

yf19-sama Regular Member

MRWSCF
    So the alternative for this extra light one could be the MP29 light?
    I will test more models monday at night so i will update the topic soon.
    By the way i will ask the coach for a choice.

thx everyone

15. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    it is great that you can test out those rackets. i am very interested in the outcome as i am considering the MP29 light too. please post your findings here. i think a lot of people can benefit from it. :D

16. yf19-sama

yf19-sama Regular Member

MRWSCF
    I will share my experience soon, i just fear to have some "fakes" in hands and bias my choice, yonex are reputed for being counterfeit around the world.
    I recently know about all this things and be able to read the Yonex serials

Did people notify FR fakes models??
    what's the year of a genuine MP29 light?

17. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    MP 29 Light starts in 2006. in 2006 the color scheme is turquise/light blue whereas in 2007 the color scheme is red/black :D the 2007's color scheme looks real good in the catalogue. maybe i will post the pics here.

18. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    MP 29 Light 2006

MP29Light_2006.jpg

MP 29 Light 2007

MP29Light_2007.jpg