User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post
    Zyex strings are hard to make in very fine deniers. Even if they can be made to the fine denier filaments for badminton-and both Ashaway's and the fiber mnufacturer's technology are incapable of doing that today-it is easier to use natural gut which is better than Zyex is or what it can be.
    Agree, natural gut all the way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerby View Post
    http://www.ashawayusa.com/
    "learn all about zyex"
    "Ashaway anticipates developing processes to make an even narrower gauge string for each of these sports. Zyex strings will one day be available for badminton, starting at 22 gauge, with narrower gauges anticipated in the future."

If they do get them thinner, I'll give them a go.
    Until then, maybe I'll put some in my squash racquet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The string was the thinnest Zyex I could buy. It measured 1.15mm. I thought, I'd give it a go since I ran out of things to mod.

Some people like to go on a badminton court to wave their squash racket about. Now I could go on the badminton court to wave my sqash string about and give them a me-too look.

My theory on strings hadn't changed because of this experiment. Though I was initially surprised that the string didn't stretch at very low tension. But on hindsight, it was rather obvious why that happened. Tension had to be considered in relation to the string thickness. The Tension-Per-String-Unit for the thick string was 18.5lbs / 1.15mm = 16.09. This was sustantially lower than the TPSU of my normal string: 14.75lbs / 0.73mm = 20.21. So, in answer to Neil's question: the thick string was at a lower effective tension.

I am not due for trying out the string until Monday. In the mean time I can try some idle speculations on what the string would be good for:

1. Grommetless stringing
    2. Changing a head light racket to a head heavy one
    3. A string that would last a life time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CoolDoo6 View Post
    Tension had to be considered in relation to the string thickness. The Tension-Per-String-Unit for the thick string was 18.5lbs / 1.15mm = 16.09. This was sustantially lower than the TPSU of my normal string: 14.75lbs / 0.73mm = 20.21.
    For your new TPSU measure, you might want to consider the cross-sectional area of the string rather than just the diameter. 2 * pi * r^2

So yes, each unit of string is at a lower tension, but, there are more units, and when you add them all up, you end up with a higher tension.

I'll try some idle speculation of my own...
    I reckon I'm heavier than you, because I'm fat. But, because of that there is more of me, and fat is less dense than muscle, so each unit of me is lighter than your units, so effectively I'm lighter than you.

P.S.
    did the string suffer much damage from being pulled through the holes without the grommets?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, grommetless stringing is the latest hype in tennis-land (Prince, I thought?) and with 1,25mm what's there to fear?

Zyex is definatly intruiging though...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i heard alot about natural gut strings but never seen it.Does anyone have some examples of it?how about from yonex?Do they have natural gut strings?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Nicholls View Post
    For your new TPSU measure, you might want to consider the cross-sectional area of the string rather than just the diameter. 2 * pi * r^2
    The compsition of the String Unit is less important than the relative values of the Unit between different strings. To be pedantic, you would have to take into account of the density of the string material as well. For simple comparison, just pick any roughly compatible units between strings should be fine, such as crossection area, radius, diameter, circumference, etc.

So yes, each unit of string is at a lower tension, but, there are more units, and when you add them all up, you end up with a higher tension.
    When you put a 10lb load on a string, the tension on the string is 10 lbs. When you put a 10 lb load on 2 strings connected in parallel, each string is under 5 lbs tension. This anology applies when the string thickness increases.

P.S.
    did the string suffer much damage from being pulled through the holes without the grommets?
    The string had a tough outershell. Also the tension was minimal. I was more worried the string damaging the racket than the other way round. But I think neither will damage the other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smichz View Post
    i heard alot about natural gut strings but never seen it.Does anyone have some examples of it?how about from yonex?Do they have natural gut strings?
    yonex makes Cyber Natural Gut 100 which is gut
    other are Gosen bioroots (no cattlegut, but plants, from this thread)
    and most famous: Babolat which makes 2-3 different natural gut strings for badminton..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what kind of a unit is TPSU? I've never heard of it...

anyhoo, from what I feel thicker strings are stiffer, making the "effective tension" (or whatever) feel higher...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TPSU is whatever you want it to be. If you haven't heard of it before, now you have.

When you are young, knowledge can only be given. As you get older, you will realise knowledge can be created on a mere wish. TPSU is one such creation.

Thick string can feel stiff because of its density. A brick under no tension is stiffer than any string, and one of the reasons is density.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CoolDoo6 View Post
    To be pedantic
    you might use Young's Modulus rather than try to make up new stuff

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2