Appropriate grip size

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Green72(CAN), Jun 1, 2007.

1. Green72(CAN)

Green72(CAN) Regular Member

I have a yonex G4 racket. Right now my factory grip seems to be wearing out and I can feel the hard stuff under the grip when I do hard swings. The grip right now "feels" slightly too small, but I have no idea if there are any guidelines to grip size.

I tried searching this on the forum but couldn't find enough relevant information. Is there a way to determine how big the grip should be?

Thanks in advance.

2. NoName1225

NoName1225 Regular Member

uh...there should be a sticker on the cone. It should give details of the recommended string tension, racket length and grip size

3. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    Feel is your own preference. Get some overgrips, wrap it until it feels right for you.

4. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Green72,

It would be of best interest that you preseve the original grip to preserve the original contour. What I would recommend you to do is to put a layer with a 1/2 overlap to make it like two layers and that should build up the grip which could fit your hhand, since you did say it is a bit small.

Usually a rule of thumb if like, if you cannot grip tight enough, it's too big. If you feel that the racket wants to fly out of your hand it is too small.

For grip size, the way I do it, find the grip size (not factoring overgrip), which fits you just right, then choose a size smaller to factor in the overgrip.

5. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    How big is ur hand?N why do u play with an original grip?Most ppl would not do that.1st,they wanna keep it good,2nd,most of them wont feel really comfy playing with it.I personally like the sticky one,n they r not.My opinion,buy an ordinary overgrip.U can do a thin or thick version(double it),or if u still dont like it,buy a thicker one.

6. david07

david07 New Member

Student
    Just put overgrips on until you get a size you desire.

7. Green72(CAN)

Green72(CAN) Regular Member

The reason I'm asking for advice and for using the original grip is that I'm not a very good player, and I don't want to spend a lot of money on my equipment.

I can do all the basic strokes properly, and have decent footwork, except for moving to the back corners.

I don't really know how much the grip will help me. I guess the way to test the grip size would be to wrap it around my racket handle without sticking it down, and then wrap my hand over the grip? What I wanted to know is whether there's a way other than "feel" to determine if the grip is the right size. For example, how much space should I have left in my hand if I hold the racket loosely?

8. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Not really Green because there could be other factors involved - the best way would be the actually feel what is right for you.

You could drop by Tad's in Vancouver, they have various grip sizes which you can put your hand on and try out.