Yonex Mavis 300

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by newbie, Jan 30, 2002.

1. newbie

newbie Guest

Hi everyone,

just a question out of curiosity. how long do these shuttles last. i play 2 or 3 times a week, 2 hrs at a time, and i usually go through about 1 a week. is this normal?

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    No, your mavis 300 lasted for too long.

3. Don

Don Regular Member

At least he doesn't know what happens with feather

4. Jason

Jason Guest

lol... i agree... put more power into dhose shots man!! =P

5. TDotSmAsHer

TDotSmAsHer Regular Member

Student Gr 11 in Sept.------- badminton player/ad
    hey dont copy my name! :p j/k lol. im the real authentic original "newbie" in this forum:)

6. Seb

Seb Regular Member

Student
    In my experience, beginners waste synthetic shuttles faster than more advanced players. The shuttle start to deteriorate after the first misshit and then you can't save it. But if you always hit the sweetspot and don't attempt any drastic slices a shuttle can last very long indeed. I've got a Mavis 500 which has lasted 4 matches without any noticeable change in flight characteristics. And I do smash a lot and hard. Mavis 300s are less durable and when playing with beginners in school they only last about one match.

7. drew

drew Regular Member

I just bought half a dozen today! I bought them for like 14$ canadian did i get ripped off?

8. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Where are you located? $13 (net) for mine, although I have started using the Mavis 350 ($15/6 net). I also use Sosan feathers ($16.50/12) for fun/practice and VIctor Champions (22.50/12) for competition.

I attempt to use one 300 per evening of games (typically 5 - 6). Usually by the 3rd game the 300 starts to fatigue and the flight gets faster. The 350 will usually last an evening of play. The interesting point with the 350 is that as it wears down, the flight slows down rather than speeding up like the 300. Feathers? Just open up your pocket book and say ahhhh!

9. Don

Don Regular Member

$14 is the norm, I bought a whole bunch of cans once at $5 a piece, but hte place was closing down. I've seen as low as $11 a can.

10. drew

drew Regular Member

i live in Toronto......

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    badrad, how are the sosans in your opinion? which model are you using? i am starting to run out of my current stock of HiQua blue, and i am on the quest for trying out another brand......

12. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    I'm using the Sosan Black, speed 78. The shuttle is made with consistent quality and consistent flight, I seldom require tipping the shuttle. Feathers are thicker, cage is glued outside and inside. I will normally use 2 per game of mens doubles (assuming no mis-hits, all hard smashers).
    They are a grade below Victor Champions (green) but better than the Victor Tourneys (blue). This shuttle we started using as an acceptable and lower cost alternative to the Victor Champions. I've never tried the Hi-qua blue so can't make the comparison.
    For practice, I still have a small batch of YIPU, speed 77, which cost me $14/12. This is a lower grade shuttle and acceptable for practice or simply fun games. Normally this shuttle requires 3-4 per game so actually costs more in the long run. This is lighter shuttle, feathers are much thinner than Sosan, less glue on the cage. Tip out (2) is almost always required with this shuttle for this region.

13. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Hmmmm.... I get my nylon shuttles from Jim Tsang who does the rounds to many of the community centers around Vancouver and the burbs selling shuttles and badminton related supplies. I wonder if he might include Toronto clubs in his daily routine.... ;-)

14. Bo

Bo Guest

no probles there man. when i first started playing i went through about a tube a week! it is normal to tear the shuttles as you play if you hav'nt quite got that edge technique wise. i still rip em a bit myself and ive been playing a while. the mavis 300 are the closest you can get to a feather shuttle without killing a duck, they have heads of cork and last a hell of a lot longer than other shuttles i have used

15. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    I'm sure all those geese out there would be grateful if we just killed ducks for feather shuttles. ;-)