BG65 lifetime

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Cheung, Jan 31, 2002.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    For those who went through my BG85 saga; :)

I changed strings on my racquets back to BG65 after getting fed up of continually having limited lifespan of BG85.

I put the BG65 at 30lbs tension - (don't do this unless you can afford more racquets).

Two of the racquets have just had broken strings after two months of play....three/four times per week. I actually feel quite satisfied with this performance.
    I rotate amongst the three racquets continually.

I feel I'm saving quite a lot of money and inconvenience over BG85.

The racquets are still intact!! These are the racquets I bought 2nd hand.

2. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

I dont know what to say! That is why it is the Gut of teh champions! It sets well within the first few Hours of stringing! But after a coupel of days it goes down slightly! so i guess the best thing to do would be to string it just b4 a torno!

As to 30 lbs i dont know how my stringer translates into ur tension gauge! But then i hope there is a uniform machine in which all of us can measure!

3. Creative

Creative Guest

Cheung, try BG88Ti. Similar characteristics to BG85 but much more durable.

4. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Glad to hear the performance Cheung.

I too have been considering switching back to a slightly thicker gauge, but I am not too worried about the cost, but I guess Creative didn't realize this when he posted, the idea was to save on money, not spend more money on stringing; while obtaining the same performance (ok... the performance bit, is more dependant on the player's skill).
    I will be sampling more Gosen strings in a short period of time, as I have had much more extensive play with the GS88/tecgut tour... It plays on par with that of the bg65/66s, I wish I had asked to string it much tighter though, as I've found the string loosened after my first initial hour with it.
    Anyways, out of the Yonex line of string, I haven't really found one type that I didn't really like except for the lower 43,33 63 models.

I think the best string would be the one that lasts an ample amount of time, and doesn't cost too terribly much, and plays wonderfully for the player during it's lifespan.

Either way I like the way they all performed.

oh btw Creative... bg85 (.67mm) is thinner than bg88ti (.69mm), and the 88ti has a dead feeling, where as the 85 offers more repulsion. 88ti will rely more on the player to stroke the shuttle, rather than have a more bouncy effect like the 85s.
    They do not play very similar. the bg80, and 85 comparison is more similar.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Hmm, maybe I should try the BG88Ti. But because the string costs so much, to be worth the effort, it needs to last longer than BG65. Can it do this?

Feel of the string is one thing I can differentiate but does it "significantly" translate to better shots. Especially with the price differential.

I must say that I am less curious to try out new equipment than in the past. A sign of getting older???!!! It's just that in my past experience, a lot of money goes down the drain. e.g. slim 10(broken). The extra money I spent on BG 85 (with it's shorter lifetime) is probably equivalent to a top end racquet (or more).

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    that's one advantage (or disadvantage) over here in canada., we get our new yonex stuffs 0.5 to 1 year after u guys. Therefore, we get to hear feedback on the new stuffs.

7. fatbird

fatbird Regular Member

If you strung at 30lbs, you don't need to use the so called "control" or "feel" string such as BG85 or BG88Ti. Stick to BG65, it save you money and in fact, you have better control because the string bed is so tight, there is no trampoline(??) effect.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

That's a good point.
    The only time I tried BG88Ti was just having a few knocks with a friend's racquet. That was at 30 lbs as well. Retrospectively, it didn't feel much different but then again, the racquet was also different.

9. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Do any pros use strings other than BG-65?

From what people have said, it sounds like most pros just use BG-65 because it can withstand 30lb tensions and they get their racquets strung for free, fresh on the day of the tournament. Do any of the pros use something other than BG-65? Do the positive characteristics of other, more expensive strings basically disappear at the higher tensions the pros prefer? Since most pros use the latest high end racquets, wouldn't you expect some of them to do the same with their string choices?

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Re: Do any pros use strings other than BG-65?

"Do any of the pros use something other than BG-65?"

It's been mentioned Camilla uses BG80 at 28lbs.
    I saw Zhang Jun's racquet with BG88Ti in last years Japan Open. (30lbs I think)

"Do the positive characteristics of other, more expensive strings basically disappear at the higher tensions the pros prefer?"

That might be so.

"Since most pros use the latest high end racquets, wouldn't you expect some of them to do the same with their string choices?"

If question number two's answer is yes, then probably durability would be the issue. Which is where BG65 wins. One pro guy I spoke to said BG85 only lasts two or three sessions for him!

Here's my question:

What do non-Yonex sponsored players choose for strings ?
    Do the English players use Ashaway? If so, which one?

11. Brett

Brett Regular Member

FYI Cheung, your message implied that Ashaway is a British company. It is actually an American one (useless information I picked up taking their quiz to "win" a free packet of Rally 22 Ti).

12. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer

I know that several Danes (esp the Forza sponsored players) use Ashaway. Simon Archer uses Ashaway MicroPower.

13. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Microlegend is a good string, but the thinner version is not all that durable - it's the only string I've every broken.

14. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Oops, that should be "ever."

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Whoops! did it come out like that?

Ashaway is American. I just don't know if the English players prefer to Ashaway strings to any others.
    From my memory, the distributor for Ashaway products is a chap called Andy Goode, ex-England player, husband of Jo Goode. Hence the close relationship to the England team.