User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Smashing Sound

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i simply think that a quick, more explosive action generates a louder bang as the force is compressed more. for those with a larger swing, the it usually sounds less loud as the time span is longer, meaning less force per time but same force in total as it's a longer time frame. so i think maybe your friends hit it with a very fast action, whereas you hit it with a slower, more lengthened shot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SystemicAnomaly View Post
    Sure, everyone makes a sound when they smash a shuttle. However, the sound that we are talking about here is a fairly loud, very sharp (staccato) acoustical event. It has been my experience (25+ yrs) that most recreational players (& even many intermediate players) do NOT make a sound of this quality very often. Also, this type of sound is much less common with synthetic shuttles.

Well, i don't think the thread starter is that much of a recreational player or intermediate......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Athelete1234 View Post
    Well, I've been playing for about 4 years, and I've durastically improved over the last two years, and for some reason, when I play people, they always get these exploding sounds when they smash hard...(We play plastic, by the way) but when I smash, it's about as hard as theirs, but I get a relatively quiet sound in comparison...it's almost like a "piuuuu" sound instead of a "bang". Any reasons for that? Or is my hearing just shot ??
    Btw i think its cause your slicing your shot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by XtC-604 View Post
    Well, i don't think the thread starter is that much of a recreational player or intermediate......
    the thread starter is a 14-yr old who uses nylon shuttles & describes self as an intermediate. he has indicated that he duznt believe that he is slicing the shuttle -- maybe he is, maybe not.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe he is not hitting the shuttle straight on. Still, even if you do, the crack does not come out every single time, even if you were using a feather – more like a ping or somewhere between a ping and a crack.

The strings resilience would also have something to do with it as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Matt, are you in BC right now?i played with Azn 123 today, lets play next week if your in town

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure, everyone makes a sound when they smash a shuttle. However, the sound that we are talking about here is a fairly loud, very sharp (staccato) acoustical event. It has been my experience (25+ yrs) that most recreational players (& even many intermediate players) do NOT make a sound of this quality very often. Also, this type of sound is much less common with synthetic shuttles.
    Of course, we have different experiences when it comes to the frequency with which we encounter this sound among the players we are with. In the Philippines, badminton has become extremely popular and, from the sound produced from the racket-shuttle contact, we can tell whether a player is a beginner or not. The "pop" or "bang" more or less indicates whether a player has had some training, or at least advice, from a pro/coach. We know that the most basic stroke that is taught is the forehand clear. Once a player is taught this by a pro/coach, the player can produce the sound frequently when doing base-to-base clears and smashes.

Even pre-adolescent girls can produce this sound with their shots with the proper coaching. This is because it is not the strength of the entire stroke that is crucial but the speed of the racket and the angle of the racket face at the time of contact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, I generated a discussion on sonic booms and explosions
    Thanks for all of the replies though. I'll check my swing first, but I'm pretty sure that the lack of a big *boom* is probably because the amount of power I put in my smashes is inconsistant. In most situations, I prefer angle over power....
    So anyways, I'm pretty sure it's just that I'm lacking in force to create a big bang.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you can get a solid ping, that would be ok as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fsnicolas View Post
    Even pre-adolescent girls can produce this sound with their shots with the proper coaching. This is because it is not the strength of the entire stroke that is crucial but the speed of the racket and the angle of the racket face at the time of contact.
    I'm curious -- is this your experience with synthetic shuttles as well as feather? I believe that this sound is easier with feather and certain types of nylon shuttles -- particularly with shuttles that use real cork rather than rubber and have flight characteristics somewhat similar to feather.

String type, gauge and tension could also be significant factors. When I started playing, many moons ago, 15-16 lbs were considered tight tensions. Later, when I was competing (in the '80s), I believe that common tensions got up to 18-19 lbs. With younger players using much higher tensions these days, it may very well be much easier to attain the loud staccato sound if the shuttle is hit cleanly/squarely.

What type (& model) of shuttles is common in the P.I. ? Common string tensions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've tried feather birds before, they make a nice crack when you do clears. I haven't had enough play time with them to tell about smashes though. For plastic shuttles, I use Yonex Mavis 300. I used an armortec 500 with Bg65 at around 24-25lbs, and I could get good sound out of it actually, but it broke, so I'm stuck with my relative's muscle power 99 with Bg65 21lbs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm curious -- is this your experience with synthetic shuttles as well as feather? I believe that this sound is easier with feather and certain types of nylon shuttles -- particularly with shuttles that use real cork rather than rubber and have flight characteristics somewhat similar to feather.

String type, gauge and tension could also be significant factors. When I started playing, many moons ago, 15-16 lbs were considered tight tensions. Later, when I was competing (in the '80s), I believe that common tensions got up to 18-19 lbs. With younger players using much higher tensions these days, it may very well be much easier to attain the loud staccato sound if the shuttle is hit cleanly/squarely.

What type (& model) of shuttles is common in the P.I. ? Common string tensions?
    I seldom see anyone using nylon/synthetic shuttles here. Feather is by far more popular, at least in the northern island of Luzon, which is the main island. As for shuttle models, the following are readily available and used in clubs: Yonex: AS-40, 10 and 2; RSL: Tourney, Official, Silver; Aeroplane: (not sure of the models), Victor: Gold, Green, and others. There are many others such as Carlton, Prince and Dunlop but I don't see them used as often. Chinese brands have also come into the market. Currently I use Jinque AAA (the official shuttle for the Chinese National Team according to the ad), which has been used in official tournaments. Flies well and is pretty durable (usually is good for 2 games). Also, the price makes it even better.

As for string tension, since it's very humid here, recommended tension is higher than usual. For men (non-beginners), the range of tension can start from 21 lbs. to 28 lbs. (upper limit usually for pros). I'm not sure about women but 18 lbs. seem to be the lower limit here. These are for older teens and adults.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the boom sound is cause from your acclerating racket making contact with the bird. For instance, when you snap, the sound comes from your middle finger making contact with your lower part of your thumb. Apply the same logic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have 3 Ashaway Flex 8000 rackets that i have been using for years. All are strung using the same tension 25lbs but 2 of these are strung using slightly thinner strings. I am able to get the 'boom' sound on these rackets but find it very difficult with the one which has the thicker string. The one with the thicker string has less of a bounce/ spring effect. I think its to do with the generation of speed when you hit the shuttle. The factors that need to be taken into consideration is your strength, speed and timing and its easier to make the noise if you hit it full on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear Athelete 1234,
    Throw away the synthetic shuttle.Play with good quality feather shuttle.I think your problem is of wrong shuttle contact.When the shuttle contact becomes correct, the sound you are looking for will follwo.One short cut-hit the shuttle as the racket contacts the cocrk and feather .When you smash, immeadiately after the hit stamp on the floor wood as if the sound generated seems continuation of the smash sound.Then another sound will follow.A long clap sound from the audience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

focus on position of racket and shuttle at the point of contact. this very point of contact and how u swing the racket very similar to if you do basic stroke. focus on your wrist rather than swinging down the whole arm. i do think its because of you slicing the shot. and yes i do agree completely with joonu throw away the plastic shuttle.. they are evil... =)

Quote Originally Posted by DragonLord View Post
    I have 3 Ashaway Flex 8000 rackets that i have been using for years. All are strung using the same tension 25lbs but 2 of these are strung using slightly thinner strings. I am able to get the 'boom' sound on these rackets but find it very difficult with the one which has the thicker string. The one with the thicker string has less of a bounce/ spring effect. I think its to do with the generation of speed when you hit the shuttle. The factors that need to be taken into consideration is your strength, speed and timing and its easier to make the noise if you hit it full on.
    i do agree with this too although i must say with the correct stroke technique you should be able to get the crisp sound. yes thinner string will helps delivering the power and sound too. id say anything above 23lbs should be fairly easy to achieve that unless ur a tiny midget with super unfit physical condition =p...

my suggestion is borrow sm1's racket that u heard him play the sound u want.. then try it your self.. although one thing with borrowing racket... different grip, length of racket, weight of racket can alter your timing too so u might not hitting it at ur usual timing.
    Last edited by kinoko; 06-26-2007 at 07:50 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The tension matters,the thickness matters,the way u do it matters.Whether u slice it or smash rite onto it.The racket matters as well.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast