THAI Sudirman Team 2007

Discussion in 'Sudirman Cup 2007' started by seawell, Jun 6, 2007.

1. seawell

seawell Regular Member

Thai badminton ace to lead team for Sudirman Cup

Thailand's badminton top seed Boonsak Ponsana will lead a 11-strong team to depart Bangkok Friday, heading for the Sudirman Cup Mixed Team Championship in Glasgow, Scotland.

The Thai star, now ranked eighth in the world, hopes to maintain the good form that helped him beat world No.1 Lin Dan of China and earned him the biggest title in his career at the Singapore Open one month ago.

However, Boonsak will have another concern hanging in his mind, with worries over the health of her mother, who has been receiving treatment for rheumatism.

Boonsak told Bangkok-based newspaper The Nation that he was worried when he first knew his mother was sick, but a doctor insisted it was not serious.

"I'm trying not to worry too much because I have a responsibility to my country. I'm going to play in the Sudirman Cup though I'm concerned about my mother's condition," said Boonsak, who was raised by his mother after his father passed away many years ago.

Boonsak will carry the Thai flag into the Sudirman Cup, which will take place June 11-17 in Glasgow.

His fellow players include former mixed doubles world No. 1 Sudket Prakamol and Saralee Thungthongkam, now ranked No. 3.

Saralee has not fully recovered from a back injury but she vowed to win as many matches as possible, as "we want to make it to the quarter-finals."

Thailand have drawn a tough group that features top seed China, fourth-seed Malaysia and England.

Badminton Association of Thailand president Professor Charoen Wattanasin was quoted as saying that he expected his side to win at least a match against England.

"China will be too tough to beat while the ability of the Malaysian players is better than ours. So our aim is to beat England, finish third in the group, and battle for fifth or sixth position in the tournament," said Charoen.

Source: Xinhua

2. seawell

seawell Regular Member

Sick mom haunts ace Boonsak

[BADMINTON] Boonsak Ponsana will have to put anxiety over his mother's sickness behind him when he carries the Thai flag into the Sudirman Cup Mixed Team Championship which takes place in Glasgow next week.

A month after creating a sensation with his biggest title, the Singapore Open, the Thai star, now ranked eighth in the world, will return to action hoping to maintain the form that earned him a victory over world No 1 Lin Dan of China in Singapore.

But Boonsak will not depart Bangkok on Friday with a "free mind" as his thoughts will be on his mother, who has been receiving treatment for rheumatism.

"When I first knew she was sick, I was worried. But a doctor insisted it was not serious. I hope she gets back to normal so I won't have to worry much,'' said Boonsak, who was raised by his mother after his father passed away many years ago.

"I'm trying not to worry too much because I have a responsibility to my country. I'm going to play in the Sudirman Cup although I'm concerned about my mother's condition," added Boonsak, who will lead a team of 11 players including former mixed doubles world No 1 Sudket Prakamol and Saralee Thungthongkam.

Saralee, who currently shares the No 3 spot with her partner, has not fully recovered from a back injury but will give everything to help Thailand reach the semi-finals.

"I'm getting better now but I'm not 100 per cent. My goal is to win as many matches as possible because we want to make it to the quarter-finals,'' said the doubles expert.

Thailand have drawn a tough group that features top seed China, fourth-seed Malaysia and England. Badminton Association of Thailand president Professor Charoen Wattanasin expected his side to win at least a match against England in the star-studded pool.

"China will be too tough to beat while the ability of the Malaysian players is better than ours. So our aim is to beat England and finish third in the group and battle for fifth or sixth position in the tournament," he said.