Weight relative to stiffness

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by BadJY, Jun 8, 2007.

1. BadJY

BadJY Regular Member

Student
    So I've been wondering the following:

If a player that uses a U racquet that is relatively flex, will he find a 3U or 4U racquet that is considered stiff, flex?

Basically what I'm trying to say is that a flexible U racquet requires the same energy/strength/etc as a 3U or 4U stiff racquet?

Also, how long would it take to get used to a 3U/4U for a U racquet player? Will there be a noticeable difference? I think it would in this case, because it's a drastic change in racquet attributes.

(BTW This is not just for me, some players in my club are hesitating to buy a light racquet because their not sure how the stiffness will affect them)(They all use relatively heavy racquets (2U to U))

#1 BadJY, Jun 8, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  2. Slicedbanana07

Slicedbanana07 Regular Member

I thought it would be the other way around.

If you are trying to hit a shuttle a certain speed, with say a stiff 1U racket, then applying the same energy to flexible 3/4U would be hit at roughly the same speed. (if that makes sense).

A heavy flex racket can produce a lot more power than a light stiff racket. if anything, because its stiff you need to put more energy in a light stiff racket to hit to the same speed as a 1U flex racket.

A flexible racket makes it easier to generate power for those who are weaker, so a light racket can be, slightly, compensated for the power by making it more flexible because of the loss of weight.

I think thats right, think you have it mixed up.

3. AMRaider

AMRaider Regular Member

4. BadJY

BadJY Regular Member

Student
    No, no, no. That's not what I meant.
    And I already read that thread like 5 times, it doesn't help my point.
    I'm saying that let's say a person uses a flex U racquet and if he switches to a stiff light racquet, will the racquet be too stiff for him or not? Or too flex? And if with a Heavy Flex he clears from baseline to midcourt, will he clear from baseline baseline with a lighter one? (for example)

5. Slicedbanana07

If he was clearing only baseline to midcourt with a heavy flex racket. Very unlikely that he can generate enough swing speed to flex the shaft of a stiff lighter racket.

I would suggesting sticking with a new racket thats similar to the one they are using now (slightly light maybe a 2U, or 3U at best). Making such a big transition from a 1U racket to 4U racket would not see to many benefits. and if using a really flexy shaft, then move up to a medium flex. If you are moving from a really felx to a very stiff, coupled with a very heavy to very light racket, then their power would no increase much, if at all. However, one benefit would be better control of net and defensive shots, as light rackets aid maneuverability while stiff shaft can give you extra feel of the shuttle impact.

I hope this answers what you are looking for, if not, hope others can elaborate.

6. AMRaider

AMRaider Regular Member

With this kind of a switch, you will need to adjust your swing to get the same power. How much you need to adjust your swing depends on your strength/style and how drastic the change in rackets is. There is no answer to your question that will be correct for all players and rackets. Best way to find out for yourself would be to try the racket types you mentioned above.

I have tried a number of rackets ranging from head-heavy (AT700 3U) to head-light (NS7000 3U) and very stiff (Cab20P 2U) to very flexible (MP66 3U). Personally, I found that a stiff, even-balanced racket works best for me; my current racket of choice is the MP100 2U. Your results will undoubtedly be different. Best of luck.

7. BadJY

BadJY Regular Member

Student
    But what I don't get is that if he has enough strength to do every type of shot with a very heavy racquet, wouldn't a lighter one benefit him? Of course, he wouldn't be able to swing it very fast at the beginning, because he's used to the swing speed of a heavier racquet, but since he has the strength/wrist etc, once he gets used to the racquet(swinging faster because lighter), wouldn't he get more power then?

8. Slicedbanana07

Well is depends how he plays, very wristy of arm-y. As an example, if you compare a 3U At900T with a 4U At900T, a 3U can generate slightly more power because of the extra weight behind it. I would say intially, he will find it weird and will have need time adjusting the swing. If he has good wrist and arm strength then it shouldn't be too much problem. Especially if you are planning to switch to a stiffer shaft, you'll need more strength (not just forearms, but also core muscles) to generate the momemtum to be able to flex the shaft, which in turn will produce the power.

I mean, what you are asking cannot be answered by us, only yourselves. You have to try out the rackets to see which weight and shaft suits you best. People have different needs and strengths. Some like it flexier than others, some like it stiffer. However, it should never be too stiff where you need to over exert yourself. You need to find a weight thats comfortable for you (not too heavy, not too light maybe) and shaft you find no problem "flexing" so that you can play shots with ease and be able to generate enough power for baseline clears and smashes.