Advice on new raquet

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by ramjet, Jun 11, 2007.

1. ramjet

ramjet New Member

Engineer
    I have recently re-taken up badminton after 18 years of not playing, and would appreciate any advice for updating my old equipment.
    The raquet I used then was a pro kennex boron 700. I had it re-stringed at the time with what I seem to remember were oil filled strings (but I am not sure). As I still have it, I have been using this raquet when playing recently and still seem to get on with it OK, but after looking at some of the new equipment available these days I was wondering if I would be better if I got a new one.
    Is there any one who could tell me of a raquet which is similar to the one I have now; I used to play at intermediate level (not quite back there yet!) and tend to play quite aggresively.

Many thanks

2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Wellcom back to badminton. There are not a lot of oval racquets out there now. Also boron racquet has stiff shaft. The one I will say close and perfoema better will be Yonex Cab30ms. However, it is 1cm longer, you might want to ove up the handle then move down later to adjust to it. If you want newer tech, I will suggest Yonex MP99. The bad news is MP line is being discountinued. Next one I will suggest is either NS7700 or NS8000 if you have the money. Newer racquet are longer now because the shaft is stiffer and it generate more smashing power while not give up too much of the control. Any of other brands and model with simular to MP99 will be a good choice for you too.
    Do try it out first before you buy.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i agree with silentheart suggestion.
    U dun want to go an extreme racket after being dormant for 18 years.
    MP99 is an excellent all round racket and its isometric. If u still prefer ovals, cab 20/21/25/30 are valued priced as well.

4. david07

david07 New Member

Student
    Muscle Power line is being discountinued?!?!?!?!:eek::eek: Since when? Is there going to be a new line of racket's that are going to replace them or what?

5. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

OK, "Phased in North America" out should the the right term. You can find 1 NS line model match close to a given MP racquet. Yonex want to keep model new to keep up the profit margin.

PS: What I posted here is unconfirmed leak. I can not disclose any of my source.

6. bdp1971

bdp1971 New Member

Engineer
    Check out the Babolat rackets and strings. Those are good and not expensive.

7. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    With all of the main series but mp 99 and mp 45 off of their site, it's obvious that the MP series is going to be discontinued sooner or later in Canada. The only reason MP99 isn't gone yet is because it's still very popular.

8. Ramster

Ramster Regular Member

Student
    Well if price is an issue you should try other brands like black knight, prokennex, kason, etc. (Some yonex clones play quite well too!)

9. wakloo69

wakloo69 Regular Member

librarian
    Go for Carlton or RSL. Both are good with a reasonable price. Many choice of series which offer a different spec that will suit your play. i.e airblade, powerblade, powerflo, millenium, X1, X2 and so on.

10. morewood

morewood Regular Member

Karakal SL80 - nice feel for a lightweight racquet, classic head shape and should cost you less than £30.

11. ramjet

ramjet New Member

Engineer
    Many thanks to you all for your advice.
    I have taken on board the comments, and am considering buying either a Carlton powerblade, or if my money can stretch far enough I like the look of the Yonex NS range. Cant seem to find the Cab30ms as suggested by silentheart.
    Not sure that I will go for an extra stiff frame just yet!
    I will try to get to try one out before I buy a new racquet - does anyone know if this is possible in the UK?

12. ramjet

ramjet New Member

Engineer
    Many thanks for all of your advice.
    I have taken all comments on board, and am looking at the Cartlon Powerblade or airblade, or perhaps the Yonex NS range if my money can stretch that far. Does anyone know if there is much difference between the Carlton Powerblade and Airblade ranges?
    I dont think I will go for an extra stiff frame just yet!
    I cannot seem to find anything on the Yonex cab30ms which was suggested by silentheart.
    I will try to have a go with the racquets before I buy one - does anyone know if this is possible in the UK?