change in temperature for racket and string

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by phandrew, Jun 13, 2007.

1. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    I am ordering two rackets from Malaysia to Australia and i want to know how the racket and string will be affected by the temperature change. It is probably 30C in Malaysia right now and it is 10-15C in Australia right now where i live.

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    the tension would go up after climatized in AUS.

3. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

it is -30C while it is shipped in an airplane. in truth, don't worry too much, just enjoy it. if the string break, just restrung it.

4. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    -30C! if that is the case, our bags would have frost when picking them back up! Plus the ice chill!

5. m_hael99

m_hael99 Regular Member

student
    it is possible since the cargo section of the plane is not pressurized..but as you descend from that high altitude, the frost should have melted already by the time they reach you at the conveyor belt. That's why sometimes you feel like your luggages are kind of wet and cold. ;)

6. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    i not worried about the string because i can replace it but how would the temperature from hot to cold affect the racket?

7. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    I thought about it again when I looked at the vaules. -30c is even colder than your average freezer!

Unless Silent means -30F (which is about 1.11 etc... C), that's a significant difference between -30C!

#7 Matt, Jun 13, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
  8. XtC-604

XtC-604 Regular Member

Store Manager
    i dun think u wanna keep your racquets strung @.@, cause the frame of the racquet and the strings might expand and contract different amounts, hence putting unneccessary stress on the racquet, in turn ending with frame dmg, cause the extra contraction might crush your frame as it could amount up to over 35lbs in tension @.@!!!

9. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Well the tension would be affected for sure because of the air pressure as well when it goes on the plane.

For instance, my relatives brought me a racket years ago in HK stringed at certain tension, however when I got it, it was considerabliy low for that tension (did not sound right). Turned the plane has something to do with it, so I ended up cutting it to get it re-stringed.

10. m_hael99

m_hael99 Regular Member

student
    haha sorry my bad..i forgot the units ;)

11. gsloh

gsloh Regular Member

I would say that the strings feel tighter when bringing them from a hot to a cold country, as the strings would contract/shorten in the cold, thus getting tighter. Apart from that, I haven't encountered any other problems. So you might want to specify a tension approx 1-2lbs lower than what you normally have

Recently bought 2 AT700 from Spore strung with BG80 at 24lbs and brought it back to the UK, it felt more like 28lbs when I first played with them, clears generally going mid court with my normal stroke, had to hit extra hard to clear properly. But after a couple more sessions (plus hitting the strings on my knee), they began to loosen and played great!