Trouble convincing parents...again...

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Ayame, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Ayame

Ayame Regular Member

Student, Martial Arts Instructor
    I recently asked my parents if I could have a cat and they said no ( :eek: ). I asked them why and they made cheap and unjustified excuses like "we don't like animals, we're allergic (which they're not), etc." I know I can convince my mom but never my dad.

I don't really need their permission or money to get a cat... but I'm afraid if I do get one without them wanting me to, they'll give it away when I'm not around, sleeping, or at school. I was thinking of getting one during summer vacation and maybe they'd get used to it and like it, but what if they don't?

Any suggestions :confused: ?

(proving my resposibility and what not won't work, I already tried :D )

2. drowsysmurf

drowsysmurf Regular Member

Make ppl happy O_O
    u need money to get a cat.. first u need to feed it, 2nd u need to take care of it so it won't get sick meaning it needs vaccine and stuff. third... gotta know if house cat or outdoor cat. also cat and claws scratches stuff which will cost money to repair... so a lot of money involved in getting a pet. u can count on spending anywhere from $50-100/mth just on food.

3. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    My daughters have been asking for a dog. But I don't want to get any. I believe money is not the major issue for most parents. Most parents just don't want get more workload to take care of the dog. The children have to show that they can take care of the themselves. If their rooms are messy, they never help on housework, .... how can I believe they can take care of the dog, help vacuum the carpet and couch every week to get rid of the hair and flee... I think you have proved to your parent first that you are able to take care of yourself first before you start asking.

4. ph_leung

ph_leung Regular Member

I fix things
    I was someone who really wanted a cat when I was younger and now has a nice cat :)

In addition to Qidong's excellent insight, you may want to consider what happens to the cat in the future. Especially since you are still in early high school. Most cats will easily live 10-15 years. If you leave the area to go to college or start your new career, what will happen to the cat? Cats do not
    always like to move. Your parents may be thinking that far ahead.

Even with my low maintenance cat, she sheds a bit of hair and requires us to clear her kitty litter every day. The kitty will be "messing up" your parents house even though it does not intend to. This is counting that the cat doesn't like to shred carpet,furniture or things like that.

Picking the right cat and caring for it is not aways easy. IMHO I have the best kitty now but we tried adopting a cat from a friend of a friend before this one. Unknown to us, the cat had a behavioral problem. The cat attacked me and bit me many times. The wounds were deep enough to require doctor visits and shots (for me). If something like this happened to your parents may likely freak out and not want to listen to your suggestions for a long, long time.

Attached Files:

5. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Hahah.. thats a funny pic of a cat.

6. ph_leung

ph_leung Regular Member

I fix things
    That's Mimi. She likes to smell my rackets, especially the strings.

7. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Very good points. These are what most parents consider. It's not so simple to keep a cat.

8. drowsysmurf

Make ppl happy O_O
    remember u have to clean the cat too... and there are many kinds of cleaner... use too much cat whitener and u end up with a white cat =P hahaha.... u have to clean poopy too... but my 2 kittens were pretty good about pooping in the sandbox =P only thing... make sure u clean it out everyday or it start stinking.. the odor remover only works so much magic. then.

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    :eek:another lefty:eek: Prolly another singles player as cat are independent creatures:p

btw, vet bills are not cheap now, more expensive than me going for a doctor visit:D

10. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Here's a harsh one:

Until you pay your own bills, food and accommodation, might as well follow the house rules - parents rarely want to deny you something which is basically good (I think pets are nice) unless there's a good reason to do so.

Perhaps you still can't be trusted to be responsible of your own welfare, let alone devote it to another living thing - I don't know, just a guess. That's what my parents normally say when they deny me what I want back then and they were right most of the time.

But of course, at that age I felt like I was the king of the world - I am always right and everybody else is wrong or they just don't understand me... ;)

Your desire to get a cat is probably just a phase that will be over once you find another interest to indulge yourself in - something very common amongst the young.

I'm not that old by the way...

By the way, is this your photo (you the tall one?) ;)

Attached Files:

11. drowsysmurf

Make ppl happy O_O
    oh yeah... last but not least.. u can cat sit or dog sit =P hehehe... u get paid for playing with animals and u don't really have to take care of them as tediously as the owners do. all u need to do is clean poop if u take it out for a walk and make sure u don't lose it. itz a good start to learn to take care of pets. =D