User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Private Coaching for 2 Adult Players in Van/Richmond

A friend of mine and myself are looking for some private coaching in Vancouver/Richmond.

I know there is private coaching in RichmondPro. Are the coaches there good? If yes, which one in particular?Also, in searching for information in this forum, looks like ppl recommend:

Yao Ximing
    Frank Chen

So who/where should we go for?? I guess we are looking for spending $50-$70 per hour for the two of us. We are adult players (took C1's adult advance group lesson before) who are looking for some more improvements.Thx!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Coach Ming, Alvin, Kumar and Eric are good.

Quote Originally Posted by kenyip View Post
    A friend of mine and myself are looking for some private coaching in Vancouver/Richmond.

I know there is private coaching in RichmondPro. Are the coaches there good? If yes, which one in particular?Also, in searching for information in this forum, looks like ppl recommend:

Yao Ximing
    Frank Chen

So who/where should we go for?? I guess we are looking for spending $50-$70 per hour for the two of us. We are adult players (took C1's adult advance group lesson before) who are looking for some more improvements.Thx!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's another coach, Harry or Henry? He's also good.

-dave

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Harry Pan. Don't bother. He's as busy as Darryl, training some of the top juniors and all.

Quote Originally Posted by wood_22_chuck View Post
    There's another coach, Harry or Henry? He's also good.

-dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Harry Pan and David Lee are doing a summer camp at rpro, not sure if they have adult summer camps though and not sure if your interested in them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thx! So Coach Ming, Alvin, Kumar and Eric are coaches in RichmondPro??

Since we have to pick one, can anyone give me a suggestion, considering our age (being adults) and level??

Or, do u think they are pretty much the same and so I can just pick randomly??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What kind of training are you looking for? Regimented? Easy-going? Technique-based, drill-based? What're your expectations?

-dave

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, it really depends on what you want out of it and what your present skill level is. Any of them would do just fine as they're all experienced. However, you might not be able to choose some of them because of the demands on their time. Harry Pan, for example, will only take you under his wing if you prove to be exceptional. He doesn't have time for anyone else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking as one who's gone for sessions with Kiran (Kumar), one of the coaches there, if you're looking for something that will push you physically, I advise you to try a session with Kiran. He's very flexible, and you just have to tell him what you're interested in doing. Note that his sessions are drill-based.

The session cost is also within the price range you indicated, for a group. A group is 3 players, so you could add to your group if you wanted to.
    Last edited by Growler; 06-18-2007 at 12:17 PM. Reason: More info to add

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Kenyip

The best thing is to call RichmondPro 604-231-0999 and check to see if your schedule fits into the coaches'. They are not there every day so your decision may end up being based on availability. As many of the posters have mentioned (I know them and their observations are spot on), Kiran, Alvin and Eric are excellent and they do have an adult clientele. All their styles are slightly different so it may be best to speak to the coaches personally first. Post here or PM me if you have further questions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the suggestions! I will contact the coaches directly and see which one would be available.

But going back to Dave's question for me, I am not that sure about what kind of training I am looking for. I'd appreciate if someone can give us some idea. I am not sure what terms like "technique-based", "drill-based" mean. What is the difference?

For us, we think we are okay in performing the main strokes properly, like clears, drops, smashes, etc. However, in a game we often cannot perform the shots that we can in rallying. So I suspect our main problems are probably poor footwork, strategies, and consistency. But of course we would like improvements in various strokes as well.

So what kind of training should we be looking for? Thx!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some suggestions about what to discuss with the coach. If you have some sort of goal (e.g. to be world champ in 2 years ), perhaps have the coach tailor a program to work towards it. If you have specific areas you would like to work on (footwork in your instance), perhaps target a set of lessons on that. A lot of time, you'll find that with proper lessons comes consistency which is probably half the reason why we're not that good anyway

Good luck
    mb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, just as madbad mentioned, technique-based is targetted for specific things you'd like to work on, your form, footwork, racket position, recovery, etc.

Drill-based is more where the coach will feed you shuttles to various location over the court to improve your movements and court-coverage, and trains you to hit under duress.

I'll just have to stress that you'll have to be interactive with the coach of your choice, and you'll get more of out of your sessions.

-dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete LSD View Post
    Coach Ming, Alvin, Kumar and Eric are good.
    i'm surprise no one has mentioned this. but doesn't chris lee coach at richmondpro? i also heard he's exceptionally good in coaching as well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Oh yes! Forgot about Chris .

Quote Originally Posted by junkz View Post
    i'm surprise no one has mentioned this. but doesn't chris lee coach at richmondpro? i also heard he's exceptionally good in coaching as well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does he coach at RPro? When they first opened up, yeah, I heard he was one of the coaches there, but later I heard he wasn't coaching there any more. Which is it?

He's an awesome player, btw...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone else can share the experience being coached by Kiran Kumar or David Lee?
    Thanx in advance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast