Private Coaching for 2 Adult Players in Van/Richmond

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by kenyip, Jun 16, 2007.

1. kenyip

kenyip New Member

A friend of mine and myself are looking for some private coaching in Vancouver/Richmond.

I know there is private coaching in RichmondPro. Are the coaches there good? If yes, which one in particular?Also, in searching for information in this forum, looks like ppl recommend:

Yao Ximing
    Frank Chen

So who/where should we go for?? I guess we are looking for spending $50-$70 per hour for the two of us. We are adult players (took C1's adult advance group lesson before) who are looking for some more improvements.Thx!

2. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Coach Ming, Alvin, Kumar and Eric are good.

3. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    There's another coach, Harry or Henry? He's also good.

-dave

4. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Harry Pan. Don't bother. He's as busy as Darryl, training some of the top juniors and all.

5. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    Harry Pan and David Lee are doing a summer camp at rpro, not sure if they have adult summer camps though and not sure if your interested in them.

6. kenyip

kenyip New Member

Thx! So Coach Ming, Alvin, Kumar and Eric are coaches in RichmondPro??

Since we have to pick one, can anyone give me a suggestion, considering our age (being adults) and level??

Or, do u think they are pretty much the same and so I can just pick randomly??

7. wood_22_chuck

Electronics Technologist
    What kind of training are you looking for? Regimented? Easy-going? Technique-based, drill-based? What're your expectations?

-dave

8. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Yes, it really depends on what you want out of it and what your present skill level is. Any of them would do just fine as they're all experienced. However, you might not be able to choose some of them because of the demands on their time. Harry Pan, for example, will only take you under his wing if you prove to be exceptional. He doesn't have time for anyone else.

9. Growler

Growler Regular Member

Engineer
    Speaking as one who's gone for sessions with Kiran (Kumar), one of the coaches there, if you're looking for something that will push you physically, I advise you to try a session with Kiran. He's very flexible, and you just have to tell him what you're interested in doing. Note that his sessions are drill-based.

The session cost is also within the price range you indicated, for a group. A group is 3 players, so you could add to your group if you wanted to.

#9 Growler, Jun 18, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
  10. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Hi Kenyip

The best thing is to call RichmondPro 604-231-0999 and check to see if your schedule fits into the coaches'. They are not there every day so your decision may end up being based on availability. As many of the posters have mentioned (I know them and their observations are spot on), Kiran, Alvin and Eric are excellent and they do have an adult clientele. All their styles are slightly different so it may be best to speak to the coaches personally first. Post here or PM me if you have further questions.

11. kenyip

kenyip New Member

Thanks for all the suggestions! I will contact the coaches directly and see which one would be available.

But going back to Dave's question for me, I am not that sure about what kind of training I am looking for. I'd appreciate if someone can give us some idea. I am not sure what terms like "technique-based", "drill-based" mean. What is the difference?

For us, we think we are okay in performing the main strokes properly, like clears, drops, smashes, etc. However, in a game we often cannot perform the shots that we can in rallying. So I suspect our main problems are probably poor footwork, strategies, and consistency. But of course we would like improvements in various strokes as well.

So what kind of training should we be looking for? Thx!

12. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Some suggestions about what to discuss with the coach. If you have some sort of goal (e.g. to be world champ in 2 years ;)), perhaps have the coach tailor a program to work towards it. If you have specific areas you would like to work on (footwork in your instance), perhaps target a set of lessons on that. A lot of time, you'll find that with proper lessons comes consistency which is probably half the reason why we're not that good anyway :p

Good luck
    mb

13. wood_22_chuck

Electronics Technologist
    Yes, just as madbad mentioned, technique-based is targetted for specific things you'd like to work on, your form, footwork, racket position, recovery, etc.

Drill-based is more where the coach will feed you shuttles to various location over the court to improve your movements and court-coverage, and trains you to hit under duress.

I'll just have to stress that you'll have to be interactive with the coach of your choice, and you'll get more of out of your sessions.

-dave

14. junkz

junkz Regular Member

i'm surprise no one has mentioned this. but doesn't chris lee coach at richmondpro? i also heard he's exceptionally good in coaching as well

15. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Oh yes! Forgot about Chris :D.

16. Growler

Growler Regular Member

Engineer
    Does he coach at RPro? When they first opened up, yeah, I heard he was one of the coaches there, but later I heard he wasn't coaching there any more. Which is it?

He's an awesome player, btw...

17. Pochacho

Pochacho Regular Member

Anyone else can share the experience being coached by Kiran Kumar or David Lee?
    Thanx in advance.

18. FrankoGoCyber

FrankoGoCyber Regular Member

CFIA Inspector
    I am friend with Eric, Kiran and David. I am taking lesson from Kiran and I practice and play with David. Eric is no longer in Canada.. and Kiran and David both play the same style. So itz really up to u. Ming coaches mostly at VRC and he has quite a full booking. Ive heard Harry is pretty good too.

19. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

If you're still looking, you might wanna ask all of them if they have time slotted for your schedule. Given the increasing popularity of the sport, you might not even be able to get a quality coach with your indecision. All the coaches mentioned in this thread are very popular and qualified professionals.

20. Growler

Growler Regular Member

Engineer
    I'm not looking to hijack this thread or anything, but could you elaborate a little on what you said here? i.e.

Are you talking about Eric Yen? If so, is he gone permanently or something? :eek: