Mixed Doubles

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by coachgary, Jun 18, 2007.

1. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

Can someone help me with rules in Mixed Doubles regarding the players positions at the start of the game for servers and receivers.

In the old scoring we always started with the lady on the righthand side of the service court for serving and receiving. Was this in the rules or just tactical?

Now in the NPS I notice it says that in doubles "any player".

So would it make sense that the lady should start for the receiving side on the left hand side.

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Just tactical. Normally a pair has a better chance to win the rally when the lady serves: the man serves from farther back, making the serve slightly easier to attack; the man is also under a lot of pressure when serving, with shallow flicks/drives to his backhand being a particular threat.

In club play, I think "ladies first" often becomes part of the etiquette, but it's not in the rules.

Interesting idea. I'm not sure about this one; there are two competing principles:
    • The lady's serve should be better.
    • The lady's serve return should be better, because the man can hit down from the back.
    So having the lady receive first is better, but having her serve first is also better. You can't have both!

It would be interesting to see the trend in world-class matches. What do they do? My feeling is that they tend to have both ladies starting on the right.

#2 Gollum, Jun 18, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
  3. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I've seen the receiving side having the lady on the left. The idea being, I assume, that when the service changes over, the lady serves first.

I don't think the receiving matters so much. In fact, it is better to let the man receive. Notice that the man stands right behind the service line to pressure the server, while the lady stands a bit back to cover the flick serve.

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Good point. In both cases -- man receiving a low serve or woman receiving a flick serve -- the receiving side has some difficulty adopting their ideal formation.

Whereas the lady's low serve should always be better, in terms of achieving an ideal attacking position (lady at front, man at back).

Therefore I think it makes the best sense for the man to receive first (so the woman will serve first).

5. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

This is my thinking also. Hence further discussion topic regarding the points statistics.

6. mandm

mandm Regular Member

we play with new rules but still follow the good old etiquette, ladies to serve/receive first, simple really :)

7. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Does the positioning have to be determined before the coin toss?