MP100, Shoulder pain, suggestions please

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by antonl, Jun 20, 2007.

1. antonl

antonl Regular Member

I used to be a pretty good squash player but work and age have gotten the better of me. I decided to take up badminton and I am using a 2u MP100 (hand me down), but I end up with shoulder pains. Nothing severe and after an hour or so, the pain is gone.

I was advised that first, I needed to correct my forehand. My swing is supposedly wrong for badminton. I was also advised to change my racquet to something less stiff. I borrowed an AT900 T which felt great but is probably still too stiff for me - my shoulder was still sore but less so than with the MP100.

I am thinking of playing on a regular basis and I am ready to invest on a racquet. The MP100 is probably wrong. I am thinking of my own AT900 but if anyone can recommend something else, I'll really appreciate it.

2. david07

david07 New Member

Student
    You probally need something less stiff and maybe even not as heavy. A good all around racket I'd suggest you to try is a SOTX Woven 8, It's not too stiff but not too flexible and it's evenly balanced. Very easy to handle and can still pack in some power. Give it a try, it's not too expensive of a racket.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1st thing is to correct your strokes, as others already mentioned. I believe the wrong swing motion is the major factor, which result in the pain. If this problem is not resolved, any rackets change will not be able to solve the issue completely, and can make the problem worse and worse in a matter or time (as u stated that you will play more and regularly)

2nd is to get a less stiff and a more balanced racket. This type of rackets can reduce the stress in your shoulder, which can minimize the damage in a short time period. Things I can think is SOTX Woven 8, Yonex NS8000, Yonex AT800DE. :rolleyes:

4. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    Agreed with LB, another thing I want to share is actually a tip for you but I'm not sure if it'll work for you. A month or so ago I had sholder pains like you said. It did really bother me when I was playing but after a while of playing badminton, let's say for an hour or so. the pain just went away and I couldn't feel it. That was the time when I barely stretched/warmed up. Then in school I started to play tennis and I told the coach I had shoulder pains while playing badminton. So he suggested that I do these stretches. So it comes out that I actually have some tight muscles so I had to stretch them out. I also reccomend you to play a moderate/warming up games before you get into the real ones. Maybe a 20minutes warm up game would be fine. Stretching is a must too. I would tell you how to stretch, I just need a digi cam and that's basically it because it's a bit confusing to explain it.

5. Avatar

Smash down all clears!
    HELLO antonl.

i had the same problem u had many yrs ago when i switched from my ISO900SS to MP100. initially my shoulder was feeling weird after the switch, then i was stupid enough to injured my shoulder after a hard smash. i took 3-4 months to cover. after my recovery, i was able to adapt to the mp100 nicely. i have stated in previous discussion before. MP100 is a heavy racket. if you do not have the arm/shoulder power to swing it, u will end up injurying yourself like many players before u on this model. disregarding the MP100's weight and it's firepower, u need to take it easy when u r using any new racket. for amateurs, it may take us many many weeks to be able to adapt to a new racket.

6. antonl

antonl Regular Member

Thank you for all the advice. I was warned that the 2u MP100 isn't a good racquet to start with but since I got it for free...

Proper stretching (warm up and cool down) was also advised and it does help a lot. My problem is really the overhead swings which seem to bring out the pain while forehand and backhand drives are no problem at all. I know I have to correct these high swings (I am supposedly "throwing my shoulder" too much).

Thanks for the racquet advice, definitely 3u like SOTX 8, NS 8000 or AT 800 DE (as suggested) but not the AT900 T? How come?

Or should I go for a more flexible racquet like an AT300 or something similar?

Thank you once more

7. wakloo69

wakloo69 Regular Member

librarian
    Correct your shot friend and change to other lighter racket than MP1002U. Maybe you can try RSL Laser 6800 (84-86g)/even balance/medium, Carlton Aerospeed 29 (87g)/even balance/medium. Hope your suffer will be gone after this....

8. antonl

antonl Regular Member

Thank You!

THANK YOU for all the great advise. I truly appreciate all the responses.

Stretching - 100% agree. I was taught various pre and post game stretching exercises which have shortened the duration of the shoulder pain and improved my recovery. One good exercise is to have my face/chest to the wall and reach for the ceiling. Another is a torso twisting exercise with my arm reaching as far back as possible. Any other exercises would be great!

Swing - My forehand and backhand drives are (IMO) decent to good...it's the overhead drops and more so the smashes that give me the most problems. I was told that when I do a smash I tend to "throw my shoulder" and use "too much arm" and that is what causes the shoulder pain. I was also told that my elbow position was wrong. I am now practicing what I hope is the proper swing for overhead shots.

Racquet - The MP100 was free and I should have done more research on the proper racquet for beginners. Aside from the shoulder pain, the racquet is simply too heavy for me and my shots tend to fade as the play progresses.

The bottom line is that I've decided that I do like the game, the MP100 should go, and I should spend a bit for a proper racquet. Thanks for the recommendations (SOTX Woven 8, NS 8000, AT 800DEF, RSL 6800). I hope you dont mind a couple more questions - Arent these racquet suggestions more on the stiff side?

Should I go with a stiff racquet, bear the pain, and simultaneously improve on my flexibility and swing or should I get a more flexible racquet (AT 300 perhaps) and move up later.

I know it really isnt only the racquet (MP100 or whatever) and a lot of factors are involved with the shoulder pain. But since I am going to be playing pretty regularly, I am hoping to at least get the racquet issue out of the equation.

Thanks again

9. antonl

antonl Regular Member

Hmm.. I responded but my posts dont appear. In case my first message is lost in cyberspace, THANK YOU for all the recommendations!

10. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    I personally use the MP100 with 3U G4 and it's suits me well. I have a Carbonex 23 2U G4 and although it's a flexible racquet, I know how bad the weight can get!

Aside from those good suggestions, my shoulder used to hurt when I used the MP100 at a lower tension. Mind me asking you what strings and tension you're using? Since you used to be a squash player, you shouldn't have too many problems with the weight or your swing. I would suggest you string your racquet to 26lbs+ with yonex bg80's or try out some of your friend's less stiff racquets before you make any investments which may or may not help!

11. Racketmate1977

Racketmate1977 Regular Member

Civil Servant & Part Time Badminton Coach
    Racquet Flex help needed

Does anyone understand racquet flexibilty?

My Kason TSF100 is 8.5 to 9mm. What does this mean. and how do I work out various flexes of racquets from this.

Is it the higher the number the stiffer the racquet?

12. Tsuioku

Tsuioku Regular Member

Wrong place to ask... but I'll just answer it anyway...
    The stiffness rating is based on the amount that the shaft bends when a weight is placed on the head of the racket. SOTX uses the same convention by placing a 20kg weight on the T-joint of the racket.
    Hence, the bigger the number, the MORE FLEXIBLE it is.
    ie 9.0mm is more flexible than an 8.0mm...

13. Racketmate1977

Racketmate1977 Regular Member

Civil Servant & Part Time Badminton Coach
    many thanks for help

best regards