NEWSFLAS: 5x7 has been decided.

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by bc, Dec 4, 2000.

1. bc

bc Guest

here is an exerpt from an article in the IBF mag:

"
    In response to Samaranch''s remarks IBF President Mme Lu Shengrong emphasised the willingness of IBF to make radical changes where necessary and referred to the new scoring system of playing 5 games up to 7 points that had been used in the recent junior world championships in China.

As part of a raft of changes approved at this Council session at the IOC HQ of Lausanne, IBF will announce it will continue to work with this system at the highest level of the sport as it has been decided that it will be the compulsory scoring system for the World Grand Prix series from 1 June 2001. Other events will be encouraged to use the 5 x 7 system in 2001 and the Swiss Open, due to be held in March 2001, has already requested to do so.
    "

2. Magnus

Magnus Guest

Does anyone know the details of this system? OK, best of five sets, first to 7 wins... does one "set" at 6? To what? 8? Can you score if you're not serving? etc etc

3. The details of this system are as follows: to win a match, one has to win four games out of seven;
    there will be a opportunity to set the game to 8 points at 6-all;
    only the serving side can score points;
    in the final (seventh game) there shall be a changing of ends when one side has
    scored 4 points;
    there shall be a 90 seconds interval afterafter each game.

4. g2k

g2k Guest

Erik, you do mean one has to win 3 out of 5 games, right?

5. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I can only say 1 thing about these new rules... THEY SUCK!

6. May

May Guest

Why? I know that Peter Gade Christensen likes the new scoring system and I have tried it. It is just faster.